Replacement forks?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gbnz

Replacement forks?

Post by gbnz »

On the off chance that someone may know, anyone know where I can get a basic, steel fork, suitable for use on a road bike with 700 wheels and a caliper brake? I've no interest in having a carbon fork on the bike in question, but that almost seems to be the only option.

Everywhere I've looked seems to have bikes registered in distinctive disciplines, steel forks being purely for audux/touring complete with v brake, rack point, mud guard mountings et al, all adding to the cost and the forks not looking suitable for a caliper brake mounting :?

Suppose at worst I could fit an audux/touring fork, though that'd involve the cost of effectively scrapping a brand new caliper brake and having to buy a set of v brakes, purely in order to fit a v brake to the front (NB. Where I'd prefer not to have one!)
PH

Re: Replacement forks?

Post by PH »

Surly Steamroller might suit. But Audax forks tend to be calliper brake not V. So one of those might also work.
Last edited by PH on 5 Aug 2019, 9:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Ebay has a number of candidates. No personal recommendation/experience.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

gbnz wrote:On the off chance that someone may know, anyone know where I can get a basic, steel fork, suitable for use on a road bike with 700 wheels and a caliper brake? I've no interest in having a carbon fork on the bike in question, but that almost seems to be the only option.

I would think your LBS should be able to order something basic. Wholesalers certainly used to have them listed.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
whoof

Post by whoof »

These will need some attention with a couple of rattle cans but are only £9.99

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/forks/steel ... aw-finish/
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

If you want cheap, look on Amazon and you will have change from £7!: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SODIAL-Carbon-Steel-Front-Fixed/dp/B01MT3PL5D/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=fork+steel+700c&qid=1565035430&s=gateway&sr=8-2

If you want to pay a lot more, do any of SJS's offerings suit you?
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Thanks, I'll have a look through a few recommendations (NB. Had briefly considered a LBS and noted the cheap forks from SJS)

And in the interim, have contacted the retailer I bought the bike/forks from in 2015; in theory the forks would be covered by Giants Lifetime Warranty (Nb. I'm the original purchaser, they came from a Giant dealer - at a personal level I know the bike / forks were hardly used* prior to fork issues developing. 1500 miles max, quite possibly <1000 miles it's incredible that even end of summer last year, the tyres still showed moulding marks!)

* Having looked at my CRC account, it's obvious my mileage was all on the Spa tourer - the number of wider Schwalbe tyres required in '17, '18 was a bit surprising!
drossall

Post by drossall »

SJS seem to have a fair range, including various that don't require V brakes. Try browsing all their categories. Could still easily cost you £100 though.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

rotavator wrote:If you want cheap....

If you want to pay a lot more?

Have to admit the budget is depleted! Failed seat post, tyre, kettle, scales, ear phones, running shoes in the space of a fortnight has rather wiped out the budget ! Still, it's helping out the diet - dried beans for lunch and dinner, putting the double cream & brie back on the shelves!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

whoof wrote:These will need some attention with a couple of rattle cans but are only £9.99

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/forks/steel ... aw-finish/

excellent value but I wonder what the brake drop actually is? The Q+As say

'suitable for short drop caliepr brakes'

and

'will accept up to 42mm tyres'

which sound like mutually incompatible things to me.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

gbnz wrote:
And in the interim, have contacted the retailer I bought the bike/forks from in 2015; in theory the forks would be covered by Giants Lifetime Warranty (Nb. I'm the original purchaser, they came from a Giant dealer - at a personal level I know the bike / forks were hardly used* prior to fork issues developing. 1500 miles max, quite possibly <1000 miles it's incredible that even end of summer last year, the tyres still showed moulding marks!)

Won't mention the name of the retailer as of yet, but; within 48 minutes of sending an email around 21.00Hr's yesterday in relation to a problem I'd experienced on a bike bought in 2015, I had a personal response. And by mid-day today a response from Giant via the retailer - currently asking for photo's et al, but still impressive to put it mildly :wink: