New bike technology

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2
Posts: 35575
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

New bike technology

Postby reohn2 » 6 Aug 2019, 4:54pm

Here's a bike that does the riding for you:- https://youtu.be/my7CXcYw-ss
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
horizon
Posts: 9436
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Cornwall

Re: New bike technology

Postby horizon » 6 Aug 2019, 5:26pm

It's interesting that it does 1000 calculations per second for balance. So that's what we do too. One of the reasons I'm interested in cycling into old age is to keep alive a sense of balance and confidence - that's something that older people can lose. I've just been cycling very, very slowly through our local narrow busy pedestrianised high street full of holiday makers, children, pushchairs, dogs etc while trying to keep both feet on the pedals. It was good - I wonder if we should lose that if the bike did it for us?
I have two doctors, my left leg and my right leg. (G. M. Trevelyan)
PS I always wondered why the YHA HQ was called Trevelyan House. :)

kwackers
Posts: 13393
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: New bike technology

Postby kwackers » 6 Aug 2019, 6:37pm

horizon wrote:It's interesting that it does 1000 calculations per second for balance. So that's what we do too. One of the reasons I'm interested in cycling into old age is to keep alive a sense of balance and confidence - that's something that older people can lose. I've just been cycling very, very slowly through our local narrow busy pedestrianised high street full of holiday makers, children, pushchairs, dogs etc while trying to keep both feet on the pedals. It was good - I wonder if we should lose that if the bike did it for us?

We're analogue, so in theory we're doing more. 1000 calculations per second in the digital domain is probably the minimum (plus a safety margin) needed to stop the maths exploding.

No reason we wouldn't lose it, I have a pedelec and I know that using it means I'll be less fit, even if I peddle hard it still reduces the overall effort. If there's no need to balance then you'd expect your balance would become poorer.

However:
What happens to it if someone with no sense of balance tries to ride it? Having ridden a motorcycle with a pillion who didn't have any I can't say I found it neither easy or safe.
I reckon if someone with no sense of balance tried to ride it they'd fall off.

Mike Sales
Posts: 3218
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: New bike technology

Postby Mike Sales » 6 Aug 2019, 6:41pm

kwackers wrote:Possibly more interesting is what happens to it if someone with no sense of balance tries to ride it? Having ridden a motorcycle with a pillion who didn't have any I can't say I found it neither easy or safe.
I reckon if someone with no sense of balance tried to ride it they'd fall off.


I found things went better if I instructed my pillion to lean with me, and not try to do any balancing themselves.
With a rather heavier stoker we hit the deck when I tried to make a low speed turn but he did not agree that we had space to do it before the oncoming car.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6721
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: New bike technology

Postby Bonefishblues » 6 Aug 2019, 7:14pm

kwackers wrote:
horizon wrote:It's interesting that it does 1000 calculations per second for balance. So that's what we do too. One of the reasons I'm interested in cycling into old age is to keep alive a sense of balance and confidence - that's something that older people can lose. I've just been cycling very, very slowly through our local narrow busy pedestrianised high street full of holiday makers, children, pushchairs, dogs etc while trying to keep both feet on the pedals. It was good - I wonder if we should lose that if the bike did it for us?

We're analogue, so in theory we're doing more. 1000 calculations per second in the digital domain is probably the minimum (plus a safety margin) needed to stop the maths exploding.

No reason we wouldn't lose it, I have a pedelec and I know that using it means I'll be less fit, even if I peddle hard it still reduces the overall effort. If there's no need to balance then you'd expect your balance would become poorer.

However:
What happens to it if someone with no sense of balance tries to ride it? Having ridden a motorcycle with a pillion who didn't have any I can't say I found it neither easy or safe.
I reckon if someone with no sense of balance tried to ride it they'd fall off.

Serious Q, because I don't know - are we analogue beings? I thought we were, at heart, just a bunch of very very fast on/off impulses?

kwackers
Posts: 13393
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: New bike technology

Postby kwackers » 6 Aug 2019, 9:02pm

Bonefishblues wrote:Serious Q, because I don't know - are we analogue beings? I thought we were, at heart, just a bunch of very very fast on/off impulses?

We are indeed.
Neurons have weighted inputs, in simple terms they measure and sum the levels on all their inputs and then output a level based on what they're seeing.
To complicate things synapses are also analogue, continual firing causes them to reduce the levels they output - part of the reason you become 'numb' to repeated stimuli.

We wouldn't make very good digital machines because the flow of information across our brain is only around 200mph so we can't 'clock' ourselves at anything like the rate computers manage.
Being analogue is one of the reasons it's very difficult to come up with good models of what our brain does. Simulating analogue functions on a digital computer is incredibly difficult - one of the reasons it's only now we're starting to get the power to run decent neural networks giving us the power to detect all the cats in a photograph.

This is a very simplistic answer btw.
Turns out there are lots of neuron types with different functions and even the connections between them is anything but simple.

User avatar
fausto copy
Posts: 2436
Joined: 14 Dec 2008, 6:51pm
Location: Pembrokeshire

Re: New bike technology

Postby fausto copy » 6 Aug 2019, 9:37pm

It'd be quite fun jogging through town with one of those following you and I bet the motorists would steer well clear. :lol:

kwackers
Posts: 13393
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: New bike technology

Postby kwackers » 6 Aug 2019, 9:41pm

fausto copy wrote:It'd be quite fun jogging through town with one of those following you and I bet the motorists would steer well clear. :lol:

I envisaged a whole line of them following behind me.

You could even train them to ride alongside - motorists love that.
The irony of an empty bike travelling alongside a cyclist would probably be lost on most though...