Earworm

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
fausto copy

Earworm

Post by fausto copy »

It's 3 o'clock in the morning and I'm on the streets again.....
gaz

Re: Earworm

Post by gaz »

Well it can't be Wednesday, wrong lyrics for a Wednesday.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I got a Rick Astley somg earworm once,it was worse than my tinnitus! :?

PS,I had to give it up in the end
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

............ just forget the world.

Snow Patrol.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

fausto copy wrote:It's 3 o'clock in the morning and I'm on the streets again.....

Sop that! The mere mention of the things immediately invokes several offenders, all vying for position of worm-of-the-day!

Luckily, as they are vying to take up residence in one's ear, the antidote may be applied. This is a hefty mental effort to recall the detail of a Verdi opera or perhaps three of the four movements of Mahler's fourth symphony. Of course, all other activity requiring the brain may then come to a temporary stop, as one searches one's memory for an obscure Italian phrase or the exact progressions of a slow yet imminent Germanic romantic musical cliche.

Now, did you know that Amazon Prime currently offers Ken's "Mahler" filum free to watch for we foolish Prime members? It has much mad stuff in it but also Georgina Hale. It's the only Prime filum/TV thing I've found to my liking, amongst the acres of drossy rubbish, in about 3 months.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

The most annoying 'earworms', to my mind, are those tunes ringing through your head which you can't place. I've had one, on and off, for months now. Unlike verbal phrases or quotations, which you can always google, there are few online facilities for identifying snippets of music - and those I've tried don't work...

Anyone else so troubled?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

661-Pete wrote:The most annoying 'earworms', to my mind, are those tunes ringing through your head which you can't place. I've had one, on and off, for months now. Unlike verbal phrases or quotations, which you can always google, there are few online facilities for identifying snippets of music - and those I've tried don't work...

Anyone else so troubled?

Can you sing? Or even just hum it?

If so, record a clip and upload it here, and we'll do our best!
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I've actually had that Thin Lizzy tune in my head for weeks now and it really is driving me mad.

However....moving on an hour.....
"it's four o'clock in the morning"!

It's a line from a 10cc song, probably off either the Sheet Music or Original Soundtrack albums.
Whereas I know all of the lyrics from the Lizzy tune, I can't work out the next line of the 10cc song and don't know what track it's from.
Anyone know?

I think this is all partly due to being profoundly deaf and being unable to recognise a song nowadays.
Having sold all my albums and Hi-Fi, I seem to be compensating by getting all the old tunes in my head.
It's a weird sensation.

And Georgina Hale....I used to drool over.
Strangely, I could imitate her cockney accent at the time. :shock:
Wasn't she in a series called Budgie or sum fink?
No doubt Cudgel will let me know.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

fausto copy wrote:However....moving on an hour.....
"it's four o'clock in the morning"!

It's a line from a 10cc song, probably off either the Sheet Music or Original Soundtrack albums.

Those are both mid 70s albums, exactly the same period when Elton was singing

"It's four o'clock in the morning
Damn it listen to me good
I'm sleeping with myself tonight
Saved in time, thank God my music's still alive"

[youtube]u18dXZzslF0[/youtube]
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

DaveReading wrote:Can you sing? Or even just hum it?

If so, record a clip and upload it here, and we'll do our best!
The 'worm' isn't going through my head just at the moment, so I'll leave it for now, until it comes back to me.

Meanwhile, I can do better than that! - leastways, for people who can read music. I occasionally use the music-writing site Noteflight, an excellent resource if you don't mind spending some time learning how to use it! Sadly I haven't written any music for a long time now - but maybe the mojo will return in time....

So anyway, here's a well-known snippet from the classical repertoire, which I remember feeding into several tune-identify sites some years ago - and none of them got it right (one of the sites insisted it was from Beethoven's Hammerklavier sonata - which it most certainly isn't! :roll: ). I should explain, I know perfectly well where this tune comes from, I was just testing.
Music snippet 01.jpg

Note that it's not necessarily in the correct key.

Maybe if I try again on one or two of the new-sprung sites I might get a result...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I've overslept!

Just been having an *oogle and discovered it's actually 5 o'clock in the morning :shock:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I sing One Song to the Tune of Another when cycling, that might clear the tubes :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Si

Post by Si »

Remember the old Jesus Jones record "Info Freako"?

I got that stuck in my head during the tour de france, but instead of the words "Info Freako" in the chorus I kept getting "Thibaut Pinot". :roll:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I sing One Song to the Tune of Another when cycling, that might clear the tubes :wink:
Good idea.

Why not try "A Policeman's Lot is Not a Happy One" to the tune of "The Laughing Policeman"?

Or vice versa?
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

We are stardust, we are golden.....

Caught sight of that lyric on Breakfast Time subtitles this morning and it's obviously hooked.

It seems it's 50 years since the Isle of Wight Festival and I bet there are a few ageing hippies on this forum who attended.
Anyone wanting to own up :?: