It is earnestly to be hoped - we love the Guardian!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: It is earnestly to be hoped - we love the Guardian / the Independent!

Post by 661-Pete »

Could we possibly drop the "Manchester" from the thread title please? After all the paper hasn't been called that since 1959.

I ask this mainly because a guy I used to know (and whom I heartily disliked) used to always refer to the paper by its former name, disparagingly - especially whenever he spotted me holding a copy (he was probably a DM reader himself...).

On the other hand, I'm perfectly happy with calling it the Grauniad. Indeed I often do so myself. It's a term of endearment.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Re: It is earnestly to be hoped - we love the Grauniad / the Independent!

Post by 661-Pete »

I've just done something I thought I'd never do. Oh the shame! :oops: :oops: :oops:

I've subscribed to a paywall....

In mitigation, I must explain that it's to the Washington Post. Now that's a media that I do care to take seriously now and again, alongside the Grauniad and the Indy. And it's only a dollar for the first month. I wanted to see what they have to say about the appalling gun crime situation, over there...

I'll see if they let me cancel easily, once I get bored with reading...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Cyril Haearn

Re: It is earnestly to be hoped - we love the Grauniad / the Independent!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:I've just done something I thought I'd never do. Oh the shame! :oops: :oops: :oops:

I've subscribed to a paywall....

In mitigation, I must explain that it's to the Washington Post. Now that's a media that I do care to take seriously now and again, alongside the Grauniad and the Indy. And it's only a dollar for the first month. I wanted to see what they have to say about the appalling gun crime situation, over there...

I'll see if they let me cancel easily, once I get bored with reading...

What did it say about gun crime?
I worked for an amirican firm in Old Europe, we were warned about gun crime, had to explain that it is very rare over here
Trumpland is huge, is gun crime actually quite rare over there, statistically?
The Grauniad has upgraded to clickbaiting, recently read of someone who vanquished a crocodile, and about killer algae on the French coast (smells perfectly disgusting)
The Life&Style section is particularly strange, bet I could learn some things I dinnae want to learn there :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Tangled Metal

Re: It is earnestly to be hoped - we love the Manchester Guardian / the Independent!

Post by Tangled Metal »

Just been reading grauniad business life page. Is it becoming the latest tabloid?

Biggest spike in oil price in history headline subtitle. Further down it's got the caveat (since the 80s). So it's not the biggest spike in history then.

Still I guess it could drive up fuel prices I suppose. If I win three duel will I get a discount? I choose good old unarmed combat. I'll waiver the to the death part if you don't mind!

This is a split post between not liking the tabloid style spin but liking the spelling mistake. After reading the rubbish attention seeking headline the spelling mistake reminded me why the grauniad has its own character that's special. :D
Cyril Haearn

Re: It is earnestly to be hoped - we love the Manchester Guardian / the Independent!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Manchester Grauniad knows that I have read more than 200 articles in the last month and asks for a small financial contribution
Should I pay?

Must have bought the printed newspaper a thousand times back then on paper :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Grauniad invites me to sign in to continue reading for free, what does this mean?
I am reluctant to comply
D363

Post by D363 »

Tangled Metal wrote:After reading the rubbish attention seeking headline the spelling mistake reminded me why the grauniad has its own character that's special. :D

In fact the reputation for 'special character' based on proofing errors is nothing more than metropolitan parochialism, ironically enough. A legacy from the days when it was printed in Manchester and the copies transported south didn't have time for typesetting errors to be corrected.

Now it's at every bit as metropolitan (with a fair amount of transatlantic and to a lesser extent transpacific clickbait thrown in) as any other publication or broadcaster, and it's more or less inconceivable that a national newspaper could be based in Manchester. It also publishes a goodly number of commentators who ponder the conundrum of the British left's apparent withering everywhere outside London.

Possibly the above is mentioned upthread, I haven't read through it. Seems topical atm.

Edit: I stopped buying it about 12 years ago, except occasionally for the crossword. Now I'm a smartphone zombie it stalks me and I get suckered in every now and then, which is to say several times a day usually!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I assume the Mancester Guardian is justy the Guardian?

well here is a summary of the various hi-tech inventigations they have done recently in Silicon Valley

The Dark Side of Silicon Valley

Since we opened our west coast bureau in 2016, we’ve worked to expose the truth about how tech companies are reshaping society and democracy

The evils of Faeces Book, Google and Amazon

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/dec/19/dark-side-of-tech-silicon-valley-guardian?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTEyMjM%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUK_email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK

Happy Xmas All and Good Cheer
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Country Diary is one of my favourites in the Guardian, just read about taking a stroll in the edgelands of County Durham, and another piece about someone cutting reeds for thatching, the reeds in Haddiscoe marsh are especially robust because a vicious east wind blows there most of the time
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

My favourite bits of the Guardian are the comments.

In general they are clueless, often angry comments made by people who are convinced they are wise and worldly but don't seem to know how the world works and who have a very low opinion of anyone who they consider is not as clever and educated as they are. They also seem convinced of their own goodness and of the nastiness of people who disagree with them.

The moderators are amusing as they often delete any off message comment or any that fail their strict standards of political correctness, especially if such comments get a lot of upticks upticks. All sorts of insults, bile and even the odd threat are allowed if made by people who toe the line.

The articles are not much better, which I suppose is why the Guardian has to beg people for money at the end of most articles.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Manchester Guardian is celebrating 200 years of campaigning journalism, +200!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 5 May 2021, 9:29am The Manchester Guardian is celebrating 200 years of campaigning journalism, +200!
Yes - we've even got the paper copy for today (most days we just read online). What a shame that Steve Bell - having reached his threescore-and-ten - has just chucked it in with the "if" strip (he's still doing some of the big cartoons). Yes I know that Steve Bell is the 'marmite' among cartoonists - any other fans here? Anyone abhor him?

But please drop the "Manchester"! I've nothing against that city, but its name hasn't featured in the masthead since the late 1950s. Indeed I've found that some people calling the paper by that name are using it pejoratively....
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Sorry Pete, it was the Manchester Guardian when I was born (just), not changing now :wink:

It does have some right queer headlines, or Clickbait as I understand they are now called, someone is bleating about being beholden to the Baby-Industrial Complex
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 9 May 2021, 8:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

When I was born (some years before you, Cyril) the 'British Empire' was still in existence. Not a detail of history which I choose to trumpet out loud today.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 5 May 2021, 11:12am... it was the Manchester Guardian when I was born (just), not changing now
That seems strangely inappropriate when the founding prospectus so clearly identified the need for and importance of... change.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/from- ... ectus-1821

Jonathan