Moon Tragedy - We must rescue them!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Moon Tragedy - We must rescue them!

Post by Bonefishblues »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49265125

We've probably got many centuries to get on with it, but if they evolve, develop, colonise, then future Earth generations could be in trouble...
661-Pete

Re: Moon Tragedy - We must rescue them!

Post by 661-Pete »

Ahem...
viewtopic.php?p=1383039#p1383039
But I quite agree - give them time enough, they'll evolve to dominate the Solar System - and maybe even the Galaxy.

Just so long as they don't evolve their own verions of Trumpf and Bojo, that is....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

661-Pete wrote:Ahem...
But I quite agree - give them time enough, they'll evolve to dominate the Solar System - and maybe even the Galaxy.

Just so long as they don't evolve their own verions of Trumpf and Bojo, that is....

They'll be doing well if they can find something to eat up there.
Although I believe there are some packs of dried poo - but that's a fair old hike for something so small and with a teeny lunch box.

Mind you on the last series of Star Trek giant tardigrades where travelling along the mycelium network that apparently underpins reality - so you never know.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

661-Pete wrote:Ahem...

There's already a resemblance
pete75

Post by pete75 »

It's faked. :wink:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The shape of things to come
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I remember these guys - 1964 vintage:
Amazing what they could achieve without the help of CGI etc.!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

kwackers wrote:They'll be doing well if they can find something to eat up there.
Although I believe there are some packs of dried poo - but that's a fair old hike for something so small and with a teeny lunch box.
In reality they'll be in their dehydrated form - in which they can survive environmental extremes including vacuum, indefinitely. But they can't move unless they come into contact with water - and the only known water is at the Lunar poles.

So I think the indigenous Lunar folks are safe.

Of course this could all be a dastardly Israeli plot to colonise the moon: as if illegally colonising Palestinian territory weren't bad enough... :(
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote:
kwackers wrote:They'll be doing well if they can find something to eat up there.
In reality they'll be in their dehydrated form - in which they can survive environmental extremes including vacuum, indefinitely. But they can't move unless they come into contact with water - and the only known water is at the Lunar poles.

So I think the indigenous Lunar folks are safe.

Of course this could all be a dastardly Israeli plot to colonise the moon: as if illegally colonising Palestinian territory weren't bad enough... :(

Yep but isn't the moon meant to be made of cheese. They can eat that and it's got quite a high moisture content.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Strange, but people don't seem to realise that the familiar "face" the moon has in Europe and USA isn't the same at every latitude, and by the time you get to the same latitude in the southern hemisphere as us in the northern hemisphere, it's fully upside down.

Having been on many a long voyage over the years, I seemed to be continually pointing the fact out to folk who had never considered it.

Next time you see the full moon, stand on your head so you can see it like an Australian would see it. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mick F wrote:Strange, but people don't seem to realise that the familiar "face" the moon has in Europe and USA isn't the same at every latitude, and by the time you get to the same latitude in the southern hemisphere as us in the northern hemisphere, it's fully upside down.

I knew that.

If you think your clock puzzle hurts your brain, try to make "flat earth" work such that things like how the moon and sun look are correct depending on your location.
Some might say the problem is unsolvable...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:

So long as you accept the spherical earth idea, it's bloomin' obvious that the moon will be upside down in the southern hemisphere.
It may be bloomin' obvious, but it's amazing the number of folk who never realised it.
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote:Strange, but people don't seem to realise that the familiar "face" the moon has in Europe and USA isn't the same at every latitude, and by the time you get to the same latitude in the southern hemisphere as us in the northern hemisphere, it's fully upside down.
And here's the evidence. Try that on the Flat-earthers!
Moonset.jpg

Sorry, I didn't capture the detail on the moon (see inset) very clearly: wasn't actually snapping the moon! But you may just be able to figure out its upside-down-ness.

If that piccy had been taken in the Northern hemisphere, the only interpretation could have been that it's of the rising moon, first quarter, looking East.

But in actual fact the piccy was taken in the Southern hemisphere, and it's the setting moon, last quarter, looking West.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

It isn't the Moon thats upside down, surely?
It's the observer. :shock:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Exactly.
That's why I said "the familiar face".
Take Disney for instance.

World-wide distribution of well-loved movies. Mostly filmed in USA.
Look at ET in the basket and look at the familiar way the moon is orientated. I looks wrong if you're an Australian (for instance).
https://www.filmsite.org/etth3.html

The moon is always shown from a northern hemisphere perspective.
Mick F. Cornwall