Bike advice: one bike that does it all?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Pakoraboi

Bike advice: one bike that does it all?

Post by Pakoraboi »

Hello

Exciting times ahead as I'm looking to buy my first bike in more than a decade. I'm an absolute newbie so any help is so much appreciated.

I recently started training for a triathlon with the intention to compete in early 2020. As a complete beginner, it doesn't make sense to buy an expensive triathlon bike, also because I would like to use such bike for more than training and competing. More specifically, I would like to do some light touring (Edinburgh to Inverness).

Are there any bikes that are up for the task?

Since I haven't cycled for quite a while, I'd prioritise comfort over performance (I'm not going to win a triathlon any time soon) and would appreciate recommendations for sturdy bikes as I'm a big and heavy rider. Also my budget is £600-1000

I went to my local evans cycles and the guy spoke very highly of the following:
- Specialized diverge e5 2020
- Jamis renegade expat 2019

Any opinion on the above 2 bikes and any other suggestions?]

Thanks very much :D
Brucey

Re: Bike advice: one bike that does it all?

Post by Brucey »

some things that might help are

a) if you could say if you intend to carry luggage or not when touring, and if so how much and
b) if you could say if you intend to venture offroad at all.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pakoraboi

Post by Pakoraboi »

Hi

a) For the Edinburgh - Inverness trip I will just be carrying a small backpack with me with the basics (change of clothes, some food). I'll be staying at airbnb's so I will be travelling light.

b) No offroad. I've checked the routes and I'll be doing NCR1 - NCR77 - NCN775 - NCR1 so no offroad.

Hope this helps :)
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

I prefer the Jamis at first glance. Steel frame and a few nifty details. Cheaper too, it seems. Fit a second pair of tyres for time trials (or wheels if you must and don’t want to swap tyres back and forth).

The main thing is to get a bicycle, any reasonable bicycle, and start riding it. You’ll soon come to your own conclusions about what you prefer, and there is no shortcut to knowing that without personal experience. The odds are slim that you’ll get it just right on your first go, so err on the side of spending less.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

No bike does it all, of course, but if I had to start a bike collection from scratch with a budget of £1k I’d probably be looking at something like a Giant Contend SL1 2019.

I’m sure it has discreet mudguard and rack mounts.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/contend-sl-1

I wouldn’t use a backpack for anything but very short rides, mind.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Both bikes are 'Gravel/cyclo-cross' and have tyres suitable for riding on a bit of gravel but not necessarily great for a Triathlon. Get some new tyres to do the Triathlon on.

Both have relatively low gearing for a 'road' (not mtb/hybrid or tourer) type bike with 34/34. But it isn't that low for loaded touring especially if you are also heavy.

Both have eyelets for a rack. IMO use these or saddle/bar-bag or bike-packing luggage do not wear a bag on your back.

The Jamis has better (higher in the Shimano range) equipment. It has 10 speed rather than 8 of the Specialized some on here will think this a bad thing (cost of replacement, but there's not a great deal in it and wear rate). It also has better brakes that the Specialized.

The Specialized has a threaded bottom bracket which will almost certainly last longer than the one in the Jamis.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Jamis also - - can fit 'guards and rack more easily.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Carrying bags on the bike rather than on your back makes things more comfortable.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Pakoraboi wrote:... I'd prioritise comfort over performance... and would appreciate recommendations for sturdy bikes as I'm a big and heavy...

How heavy, please?
Pakoraboi

Post by Pakoraboi »

keyboardmonkey wrote:
Pakoraboi wrote:... I'd prioritise comfort over performance... and would appreciate recommendations for sturdy bikes as I'm a big and heavy...

How heavy, please?

I'm now 108kg but since I started training for a triathlon I am losing weight week after week. I aim to be in the 95-98kg region for my first triathlon race and touring trip
Pakoraboi

Post by Pakoraboi »

Also, another question: since as you pointed out it's better not to travel long distances with a backpack, what would you suggest?

I'd be tempted to go for a front rack so the weight would be distributed more evenly and not all on the back.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

bar bag or saddlebag are the traditional solutions for carrying a small load. Bikepacking gives us frame bags, and racks can have a rackpack on them. If that's not enough then panniers.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I do like the Spesh but way overpriced for a Claris equipped bike.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Pakoraboi

Post by Pakoraboi »

Brucey wrote:bar bag or saddlebag are the traditional solutions for carrying a small load. Bikepacking gives us frame bags, and racks can have a rackpack on them. If that's not enough then panniers.

cheers

Thanks! Very useful. I didn't even know such things existed :D

Bar bag would be totally enough.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Pakoraboi wrote:
keyboardmonkey wrote:

How heavy, please?

I'm now 108kg but since I started training for a triathlon I am losing weight week after week. I aim to be in the 95-98kg region for my first triathlon race and touring trip

Hmm. 17 stone is a fair old weight. I should ask about max rider weights for any bike you consider - especially those with low spoke counts - given that you intend to do a little light touring.

On the subject of what to take with you whilst ‘credit card touring’ you might find a bar bag not quite roomy enough - and I don’t like having weighty stuff in mine.

As it happens I’ve recently had two separate overnight trips on my bike (with 32 spoke wheels). I used a Blackburn Outpost Seat Pack from the world of ‘bike packing’. A work in progress...

4FB21BC1-C24B-46F9-804A-EDD8921ACDD3.jpeg

Edit: the same bike with bar bag and rack bag by way of comparison:

E8EEB5BE-C423-425C-8055-924069B8F434.jpeg