Folding tyres vs. folded tyres?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
LittleGreyCat

Folding tyres vs. folded tyres?

Post by LittleGreyCat »

I ordered a folding tyre (accidentally ordered two, but meh) and it came as a normal round tyre.
I followed the Sheldon Brown method of folding a tyre and ended up with the three small circles strapped together.

However, in shops like Evans (and I also saw a touring cyclist carrying one) the folded tyres (often in a cardboard box) seem to be packed down very neatly and flat instead of curved in profile - folded like a flat ribbon.

So are there "folding" tyres and "folded" tyres which are different beasts?

Or can you fold a "folding tyre" into a "folded tyre" (that is flaked in a flat profile instead of Sheldon Brown folded)?
Brucey

Re: Folding tyres vs. folded tyres?

Post by Brucey »

if you ordered a folding tyre and you received a tyre with wire beads (that won't fold per se) then you should return the tyres, you were robbed. Folding tyres have Kevlar or carbon fibre beads and cost more than wire-beaded tyres. They are also quite a bit lighter; some folk buy folding tyres purely for the weight saving.

Folding tyres (with flexible beads) will fold up into a tiny package with no ill effect. If your tyres don't fold like that, they are not folding tyres.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

However, I suppose it’s possible that you got an unfolded folding tyre. It’s easy enough to check. Wire beads will strongly resist the tight bends required to fold.

What tyre is it?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I don't think that a folding tyre (Kevlar beads) will hold its form if you hang it on a finger.
As you know non folding tyres should as said be folded into 3 not two circles, not like when you order online and they turn up with two.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
whoof

Post by whoof »

LittleGreyCat wrote:I ordered a folding tyre (accidentally ordered two, but meh) and it came as a normal round tyre.
I followed the Sheldon Brown method of folding a tyre and ended up with the three small circles strapped together.

I've not seen this but sounds like the method for folding a wire beaded tyre. Cross hands and then pull up the third loop to give three 'circles'. Try folding your 'folding' tyres by flattening them and then folding up.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

whoof wrote:
LittleGreyCat wrote:I ordered a folding tyre (accidentally ordered two, but meh) and it came as a normal round tyre.

I've not seen this but sounds like the method for folding a wire beaded tyre. Cross hands and then pull up the third loop to give three 'circles'. Try folding your 'folding' tyres by flattening them and then folding up.

The man himself demonstrating.

[youtube]vo7RJqaUdhg[/youtube]
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
whoof

Post by whoof »

pete75 wrote:
whoof wrote:

The man himself demonstrating.

[youtube]vo7RJqaUdhg[/youtube]

That's pretty much how I fold a beaded tyre.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I don't think that a folding tyre (Kevlar beads) will hold its form if you hang it on a finger.
As you know non folding tyres should as said be folded into 3 not two circles, not like when you order online and they turn up with two.

Isn't that infuriating! (at least for those of us who know about the "3-loops" method) These people are in the trade - they would no doubt lecture the customer if we questioned their advice ...
Last edited by mattheus on 9 Aug 2019, 8:08am, edited 1 time in total.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Yep, I just returned from an eye test.

When I got home I realised that the hand written prescription is unreadable :(
Meaning I cannot quote online for glasses.
And these are qualified people.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Last time I ordered a pair online they came unfolded in a very big bag.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
pete75 wrote:

What shape were they?
I mean did they need a big bag.
They were floppy not rigid.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pete75 wrote:

What shape were they?
I mean did they need a big bag.
They were floppy not rigid.

I was referring to rigid tyres 700C in a big bag.
Reasonably expensive folding tyres like Michelin Pro4 always come in boxes and cheaper ones with an elastic band round them.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Well you got a bag!
Any tyre any verhicle that I have ordered through post never came In a bag, except folding in a box / some covering.
Just try sending tyres through the post uncovered :?:
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I've never bought folding tyres that did not come folded up on themselves in a similar way to an inner tube. I suspect you paid for folding tyres and were sent a rigid (non-folding) tyre. Send it back and ask for a return or refund.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Brucey wrote:if you ordered a folding tyre and you received a tyre with wire beads (that won't fold per se) then you should return the tyres, you were robbed. Folding tyres have Kevlar or carbon fibre beads and cost more than wire-beaded tyres. They are also quite a bit lighter; some folk buy folding tyres purely for the weight saving.

Folding tyres (with flexible beads) will fold up into a tiny package with no ill effect. If your tyres don't fold like that, they are not folding tyres.

cheers

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-silento-touring-tyre/

Description says "Tyre Bead: Folding".

I searched t'Internet including Wiggle for folding tyres and ordered this.

I must admit that I was surprised it turned up round instead of flat. However I was in the last stages of headless chicken before setting off on the tour (which went well, by the way) so I just looked up how to fold it and 3 circled it. Although without the red toe straps.