** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by al_yrpal »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Your opinion, is alas entirely at odds with the facts.

The genesis of the EU was the Schumann declaration.

It proposed economic ties to make war between European nations inconceivable.

The EU was conceived as a peace project.

This is a simple fact, quote:

To ...'make war not only unthinkable but materially impossible'.

The peace project was an important factor, iron and steel protectionism initially but its still a protectionist superstate with an increasingly far right tinge ask your yellow jackets.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

al_yrpal wrote:but its still a protectionist superstate with an increasingly far right tinge ask your yellow jackets.
Al

No it isn't.

It is a group of individual (and very different) nations that try to find mutual benefit in cooperation.
Loads of examples have been given of that.

You should try to find an example to back up your superstate assertion (should be easy for you!).
It's otherwise just easy to write one-liner tosh.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

al_yrpal wrote: its still a protectionist superstate with an increasingly far right tinge ask your yellow jackets.
Your statement is absolutely correct - except that the "protectionist superstate with an increasingly far right tinge" which you refer to, is of course the United States. I hope that was what you intended to say. As to the yellow jackets: I think the rampant Trump-fanatics mostly wear red baseball caps, but with a bit of poetic licence you can refer to them as "yellow jackets" if you like.

P.S. I saw a couple of European hornets while out walking this afternoon, browsing on some buddleia. Americans call them (or rather, related species) "yellowjackets". But they're entirely peaceful (unless you proverbially disturb the nest) - and I don't think they care one jot of nectar, whether Britain leaves the EU or not...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
Your opinion, is alas entirely at odds with the facts.

The genesis of the EU was the Schumann declaration.

It proposed economic ties to make war between European nations inconceivable.

The EU was conceived as a peace project.

This is a simple fact, quote:

To ...'make war not only unthinkable but materially impossible'.

The peace project was an important factor, iron and steel protectionism initially but its still a protectionist superstate with an increasingly far right tinge ask your yellow jackets.

Al

So, not conceived as protectionist at all.

I'll not respond to the rest of the rant.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

One good thing to come from all of this, if we come thru it , will be Booris and all his hard nuts will be finished ? their political carreers will be over? esp Javid
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Best thing to come out of all this is it looks like we've finally joined the Euro!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

kwackers wrote:Best thing to come out of all this is it looks like we've finally joined the Euro!
Are you so sure of that? :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

661-Pete wrote:
kwackers wrote:Best thing to come out of all this is it looks like we've finally joined the Euro!
Are you so sure of that? :lol:

In all but name.
We've pretty much achieved equality. May as well just rename the pound to euro and we're there!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Personally I'd rather have those two £350,000,000 notes. With inflation going the way it is, I reckon they'll just about buy me a set of spare rearlight batteries...
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

661-Pete wrote:Personally I'd rather have those two £350,000,000 notes. With inflation going the way it is, I reckon they'll just about buy me a set of spare rearlight batteries...

Well you can always inflation proof your money by putting it in a savings account.

Oh wait! No you can't...
Silly me.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Brexit Britain?

The Lights are going out through out Brexit Britain
The Lights are going out through out Brexit Britain
Last edited by mercalia on 10 Aug 2019, 7:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:Brexit Britain?

Brexit Britain.JPG

Rumour has it that we were trying to fix the country by turning it off and on again.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote:Personally I'd rather have those two £350,000,000 notes. With inflation going the way it is, I reckon they'll just about buy me a set of spare rearlight batteries...

Good job all my bikes that need lights have hub alternators then.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pete75 wrote:Good job all my bikes that need lights have hub alternators then.
Get yourself a set of rollers, pronto! And then get pedalling. You'll need those alternators just to light your house, come No-Deal!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

661-Pete wrote:I note that Cummings bloke doing his utmost to derail the power of Parliament... Who does he think he is? King Charles I?

I'll tell you: a totally unelected busybody, not even a member of the party he pretends to uphold. Personally I find him creepy - and pretty scary.

I know one shouldn't really have a go at people because of their appearance, but I can't help thinking: is this the reason I find him scary?
JRC-DC.jpg

seems he is quite happy to take handouts from the EU

Boris Johnson’s controversial enforcer, Dominic Cummings, an architect of Brexit and a fierce critic of Brussels, is co-owner of a farm that has received €250,000 (£235,000) in EU farming subsidies, the Observer can reveal.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eu-subsidy