unwelcome sight during walk on Downs

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2
Posts: 35604
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: hate-speech graffiti

Postby reohn2 » 9 Aug 2019, 9:33am

bovlomov wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:
661-Pete wrote:On the other hand, my feeling is that if we had voted Remain, there would not have been so much of a resurgence in these European extremist groups since 2016.

I don't see that the two can be correlated.

I think it is a complicated story and it's difficult to untangle all the causes and all the effects. In no particular order:
- There were racist threads running through the referendum campaign.
- Extremists campaigning for Brexit here have close contacts with extremists throughout the continent.
- Extremists have been emboldened by the referendum.
- There are rising nationalist movements across the globe that have nothing to do with Brexit.
- We still haven't got to the bottom of Russia's involvement with Brexit. Russia has been close to some of Europe's nationalist leaders.
- Brexit isn't, in itself, a racist project.
- Even if the style of some Brexit campaigning has pushed a few more to the extremes, it doesn't mean the population as a whole has moved. Social media and graffiti, hopefully, aren't representative.


Racism was was used as a tool in the form of anti immigration throughout the referendum campaign's propaganda and IMO a good proportion of voters were stirred up to vote for Brexit as a result.
The little englanders interpretation and belief that the UK can go it alone adrift of continental Europe,meaning the UK doesn't need Johnny foreigner to help us build a better country.
They couldn't be more wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

mikeonabike
Posts: 164
Joined: 20 Jun 2016, 8:22am

Re: unwelcome sight during walk on Downs

Postby mikeonabike » 9 Aug 2019, 10:10am

If this graffiti is on the back of a National Trust poster, then report it to the National Trust.

pete75
Posts: 11654
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: hate-speech graffiti

Postby pete75 » 9 Aug 2019, 10:29am

al_yrpal wrote:
661-Pete wrote:
Being more closely associated with European countries, even those which do have problems of this nature, means that Britain's security service can work more closely with the corresponding security services in those countries, to counteract these threats. By leaving the EU we sacrifice that.
.


No we wont, like lots of links with Europe it will continue in a slightly different form. They dont want to give up what we are best at. Pretending sacrifice is just part of Project Fear to keep us in. You Remainers are all so naive! :lol:

Al


The Met's head of counter terrorism must be naive then al. He says a no deal Brexit will damage the country's security through loss of access to EU data https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-brita ... KKCN1UX0M5 . He knows more than you and may even know more than you think you do.

PH
Posts: 7406
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: hate-speech graffiti

Postby PH » 9 Aug 2019, 10:51am

bovlomov wrote:Anyway - REMOVE INK GET SHOT SAVVY? - does anyone know what it means? Is that a full stop after SHOT?

It means they've been a little careless with the felt tip, got it on their clothing and now they're in trouble with mummy. White power is the hope that Persil can live up to it's advertising.
I have no idea why anyone can't understand this, or what it has to do with Brexit.

reohn2
Posts: 35604
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: hate-speech graffiti

Postby reohn2 » 9 Aug 2019, 10:59am

PH wrote:
bovlomov wrote:Anyway - REMOVE INK GET SHOT SAVVY? - does anyone know what it means? Is that a full stop after SHOT?

It means they've been a little careless with the felt tip, got it on their clothing and now they're in trouble with mummy. White power is the hope that Persil can live up to it's advertising.
I have no idea why anyone can't understand this, or what it has to do with Brexit.


Thanks for the insight,it's all clear now :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 2807
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: unwelcome sight during walk on Downs

Postby PDQ Mobile » 9 Aug 2019, 11:03am

I think it means anyone removing sheep markings will be shot.
And that sheep will inherit the world.

It's a rural slant!!

brynpoeth
Posts: 10754
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: unwelcome sight during walk on Downs

Postby brynpoeth » 11 Aug 2019, 7:49am

Could it be 'art' by a famous anonymous 'artist' :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 8942
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

Re: unwelcome sight during walk on Downs

Postby 661-Pete » 11 Aug 2019, 8:49am

brynpoeth wrote:Could it be 'art' by a famous anonymous 'artist' :?
...in which case I needn't worry. Just wait until some art collector snaps it up at auction for oodles of dosh, then it'll mysteriously shred itself...

Anyway, I've sent an E-mail to the National Trust but they haven't responded. Perhaps next time we go that way, I should take a bottle of white spirit...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

pwa
Posts: 10080
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: unwelcome sight during walk on Downs

Postby pwa » 11 Aug 2019, 9:02am

661-Pete wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:Could it be 'art' by a famous anonymous 'artist' :?
...in which case I needn't worry. Just wait until some art collector snaps it up at auction for oodles of dosh, then it'll mysteriously shred itself...

Anyway, I've sent an E-mail to the National Trust but they haven't responded. Perhaps next time we go that way, I should take a bottle of white spirit...

I don't know what the solvent is in marker pens but the only time I tried removing it I found white spirit ineffective. It was on one of those white boards and someone had accidentally used permanent marker. What did work was using the same permanent marker over the offending lines, then wiping quickly before the solvent evaporated away. But if anyone caught you doing that it would look as though you had written it. :lol:

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 8942
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

Re: unwelcome sight during walk on Downs

Postby 661-Pete » 11 Aug 2019, 9:05am

pwa wrote:I don't know what the solvent is in marker pens but the only time I tried removing it I found white spirit ineffective. It was on one of those white boards and someone had accidentally used permanent marker. What did work was using the same permanent marker over the offending lines, then wiping quickly before the solvent evaporated away. But if anyone caught you doing that it would look as though you had written it. :lol:
Meths, then?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

pwa
Posts: 10080
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: unwelcome sight during walk on Downs

Postby pwa » 11 Aug 2019, 9:42am

661-Pete wrote:
pwa wrote:I don't know what the solvent is in marker pens but the only time I tried removing it I found white spirit ineffective. It was on one of those white boards and someone had accidentally used permanent marker. What did work was using the same permanent marker over the offending lines, then wiping quickly before the solvent evaporated away. But if anyone caught you doing that it would look as though you had written it. :lol:
Meths, then?

A quick search suggests alcohol. Booze.

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9439
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: hate-speech graffiti

Postby Cunobelin » 11 Aug 2019, 10:09am

bovlomov wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Do you never tire of the "Brexit supporters bad" approach to life ..... :roll:

Read it again.

Nowhere do I imply that Brexit supporters are bad.

There is evidence connecting aggressive nationalism with Brexit.

Different things.



The issue is that Brexit DID embolden some extremists, with the Right Wing using it as an opportunity to promote their propaganda on the wave of Nationalism Brexit invoked

It also illustrates the biggest issue with Brexit, in that the noise from the extremists on both sides is drowning out the moderate voices that are the ones talking commonsense, informed answers and the contingencies that we need

mercalia
Posts: 11109
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: hate-speech graffiti

Postby mercalia » 11 Aug 2019, 10:18am

bovlomov wrote:Anyway - REMOVE INK GET SHOT SAVVY? - does anyone know what it means? Is that a full stop after SHOT?


Clearly a Moggy supporter :lol:

Hobbs1951
Posts: 385
Joined: 15 Apr 2014, 10:48am

Re: hate-speech graffiti

Postby Hobbs1951 » 11 Aug 2019, 10:32am

al_yrpal wrote:
bovlomov wrote:Here's a thing. Al's '... remainers are all...' is a generalisation, of the type that I didn't make about Brexiters.


Sorry about that but I have just got into the mindset of all those Remainers who keep asserting we Leavers are all thick uninformed racists. I think I would rather be described as naive. :D

Al


Thick uninformed racists might be too close to the truth. For what I see/hear from Leavers, on this forum and elsewhere, promotes a perception that they are uninformed (thick too), as their opinions are never or at best rarely, supported by anything remotely resembling an informed opinion.

John.

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 8942
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

Re: hate-speech graffiti

Postby 661-Pete » 11 Aug 2019, 10:51am

mercalia wrote:Clearly a Moggy supporter :lol:
Absolutely not! I love pussy-cats, I'd never dream of shooting one, and I didn't write the graffiti!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).