Cycling dead ends.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tim-b

Re: Cycling dead ends.

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Thats got a padded top on it hasn't it?

The BG saddle is padded, the Unica Nitor wasn't and very comfortable it was too... type 55 image I'd have one now if they were easily available; out of fashion but not a dead end to me at least :)
Regards
tim-b
Last edited by tim-b on 9 Aug 2019, 11:59am, edited 2 times in total.
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
PS When will cycling helmets be declared a redundant dead end? :-)

When 107 years old cyclists stop proving their worth? :D :D forum link
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

tim-b wrote:Hi
Thats got a padded top on it hasn't it?

The BG saddle is padded, the Unica Nitor wasn't and very comfortable it was too... type 55 image I'd have one now if they were easily available; out of fashion but not a dead end to me at least :)
Regards
tim-b

Think I'd want to heat it and mould it. Interesting to see it though.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Heres Johhny!
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cinelli-unicanitor-saddle/rp-prod54865
I rode these in the sixties....this re-write looks more like the original in the flesh than it does in this photo.
….but its lost those little perforations on the bit where your bum bones go....you know, the ones where the plastic fatigued and cracked, so the damned thing bit your bum when you sat on it.
Bought one some months ago in a fit of nostalgia, haven't ridden it yet.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Turn indicators.
Stop lights.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

531colin wrote:Heres Johhny!
I rode these in the sixties....this re-write looks more like the original in the flesh than it does in this photo.
….but its lost those little perforations on the bit where your bum bones go....you know, the ones where the plastic fatigued and cracked, so the damned thing bit your bum when you sat on it.

I suspect the one I had in the '70s was a cheap knockoff copy. The though of it still sends shudders up my spine.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

iandriver wrote:
531colin wrote:Heres Johhny!

I suspect the one I had in the '70s was a cheap knockoff copy. The though of it still sends shudders up my spine.

:)

Yes I have seen such things and kinda wondered about that design - I favour simple cheapo plastic selle royal saddles. Great things.

But am rather concerned about Colin - after describing his earlier pain he seems to have paid for another round with his cruel mistress.
Sweep
bagpussctc

Post by bagpussctc »

Plagued by various production issues and a big fire. An enterprise that promised much.
ImageFrank Kirk . Precision Competition . by rebalrid, on Flickr

ImageKirk 2 by rebalrid, on Flickr
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

bagpussctc wrote:Plagued by various production issues and a big fire. An enterprise that promised much.
ImageFrank Kirk . Precision Competition . by rebalrid, on Flickr

ImageKirk 2 by rebalrid, on Flickr

In fairness to that one, I think the UCI banning everything but traditional diamond shapes killed that sort of thing off. Although the Y frame doesn't seem so common in the MTB world any more.
bagpussctc

Post by bagpussctc »

This Kirk precision stands proudly in our dining room . I have always admired the out of the box thinking .The concept of the design etc was new and as seen on "Tomorrows World" . I just reckon the odds were stacked againt Frank Kirk with this machine .
I think the TVM team rode an aluminium version back in the early 1990's ?
Wonder what a carbon fiber built one would ride like? Flex in the bottom bracket area ?
bagpussctc

Post by bagpussctc »

Samuel D wrote:Tubular tyres. Took a while, though.

No one has told me . I still have them on one of my rides . Mind you I pick the route with care. :)

The Cotter pin was cycling biggest dead end . Look how long it took to see the back of them . Price over quality
zenitb

"Shorty" Guards..!!!!

Post by zenitb »

Shorty mudguards...LOL!!!

Mind you I suppose the benefit of buying a bike like this is that you at least knew there was room for real ones :-)
Attachments
2019-08-09 16.59.51.png
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

bagpussctc wrote:This Kirk precision stands proudly in our dining room . I have always admired the out of the box thinking .The concept of the design etc was new and as seen on "Tomorrows World" . I just reckon the odds were stacked againt Frank Kirk with this machine .
I think the TVM team rode an aluminium version back in the early 1990's ?
Wonder what a carbon fiber built one would ride like? Flex in the bottom bracket area ?

The 1997 Pinarello TT bike http://www.pinarello.com/en/hall-of-fam ... an-ullrich there's a beast. The brake levers are an interesting choice.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I had what I think was called a Motor Roar when I was a child. I really thought they had disappeared but no:

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-a ... gIrYPD_BwE

Hmm, I might get one though. Good for waiting at traffic lights.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

bagpussctc wrote:This Kirk precision stands proudly in our dining room....

best place for it IMHO. As a bike frame it was rather flexy, and wasn't as light as first billed once the thing had been made anywhere near durable enough. Anyone who has seen or used a Black & Decker Workmate Mk1 will have a strange sense of deja vu when regarding the Kirk frame; the reason for this is that the early type of workmate was made in the same way, i.e. from die castings. The castings even look similar in overall design; am I right in thinking that Kirk was involved in that development too?

After a fairly short period of time the workmate was changed to steel pressings, which bent when overloaded instead of snapping like a carrot.

The Kirk bike frame disappeared by 1995; not sure the UCI had anything to do with it?

Good on him for 'having a go' and all that but IMHO the design is inherently compromised by the limitations imposed by the method of manufacture, moreso than with most other methods of frame manufacture.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~