Things we need not invented yet

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Things we need not invented yet

Post by Brucey »

the solution is simple; just use a carabiner to clip your keys onto; the bike lock key can easily be kept this way.

FWIW some (a few) models of this sort of lock allow you to ride with the key out of the lock. I don't remember which though.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pwa

Post by pwa »

Paint that stays stuck to steel.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Brucey wrote:the solution is simple; just use a carabiner to clip your keys onto; the bike lock key can easily be kept this way.

FWIW some (a few) models of this sort of lock allow you to ride with the key out of the lock. I don't remember which though.

cheers

A carabina is what I use for all my keys, it clips to my belt loops and the keys rest in the pocket. The advantage of the lock is that you cant get the key out when its unlocked, therefore you never lose the ability to leave the bike locked.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

pwa wrote:Paint that stays stuck to steel.

Clean thoroughly then...
Etch primer :wink:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
bagpussctc

Post by bagpussctc »

Handle bar tape that is long enogh for wide bars and that stays clean.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Brucey wrote:the solution is simple; just use a carabiner to clip your keys onto; the bike lock key can easily be kept this way.

cheers

ah brucey you always complicate my hasty decisions with your tips/knowledge.

It's back on the possible list.

(and I have a ton of spare carabiners)
Sweep
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote:Maybe an inner tube impervious to air is what's required first.

Even if you never get a visit from the P fairy, your tyres will still deflate over time. My Mercian with 120psi in the rear tyre needs topping up every day or three. The higher the pressure, the faster the tyre looses pressure.

Duff batch?
Pumped my Koga to 120 psi (23's) and never touched them in 7 days on the D&C coast ride, no fairys apart from a bus shelter called fairy cross :?
What sort of air do you use :P
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pwa

Post by pwa »

al_yrpal wrote:

Clean thoroughly then...

Al

I have had paint coming off all the steel bikes I have ever had. Including powder coated Thorns and traditional enamel by Argos. Isn't there anything better out there?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

pwa wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:

Clean thoroughly then...

Al

I have had paint coming off all the steel bikes I have ever had. Including powder coated Thorns and traditional enamel by Argos. Isn't there anything better out there?

It's all about preparation. Thorough degreasing, keying the surface, thoroughly evaporating solvents and paint systems that don't react between layers. Car paint doesn't flake because they use the right method and paints. It's getting harder though with environmental no no's

Al

Al
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

cheers

I keep my house keys in a leather key case, and have mostly trained myself to clip the frame lock key straight back into the case once I've locked the bike. In NL people often have their whole bunch of keys hanging from the lock, but this is noisy, and risks you getting home one night and finding that your means of getting into the house is on the road somewhere.

The other strategy is to use an obnoxiously large or obvious key ring - fluro pink pom-poms and the like are popular...
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Paint, that's funny my steel bikes still have paint after 23 and 36 years, but that might be down to where I live.
When I was buying new motorcycles that single coat finish would peel after just six months.
I am not ofay with what they use on modern bike or old steel either, but there's a faster turnover of bikes today judging by the stuff that turns up at the tip, so makers and marketing may think its not worth the paint.

Interestingly many years ago as a motorcycle mechanic, I found out the ten year old step through Honda melodys favoured by females I would repair were only meant to have a five year life span.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
After loosing my keys once and first time.
I now have a piece of elastic cord fixed to my rucksack which keys are clipped too.
I do this on leaving house and they never get loose.
On my recent tour I had a nifty alarm and the remote (yeh :) ) was clipped to inner top bag along with house key via elastic cord, I only unclipped when leaving bike and it went around my neck.
pwa

Post by pwa »

al_yrpal wrote:
pwa wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Clean thoroughly then...

Al

It's all about preparation. Thorough degreasing, keying the surface, thoroughly evaporating solvents and paint systems that don't react between layers. Car paint doesn't flake because they use the right method and paints. It's getting harder though with environmental no no's

Al

Al

Argos didn't succeed in giving me paint that didn't blister on the two occasions I used them. Our Thorn tandem with supposedly durable powdercoat has several areas that are more touch up paint than original. It is a pity because in other regards I like good steel. A bloke at Argos told me I probably have very acidic sweat (charming!) that makes the paint soft. Perhaps my mistake was to buy my better bikes after people started to worry about what is in paints. So I don't get the benefits of lead, arsenic or whatever they used to use.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Caliper brakes that allow 32mm plus tyres but don't flex.

Really light batteries that allow hundreds of hours run time, recharged in a few minutes and don't lose capacity throughout their lifetime. If they come with a stick to attach the moon to this would be nice.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
On lights, they are today what freehubs were nearly forty years ago.
Rear lights that last 30 hrs and front that you can see with and be seen as well as make car drivers dip their beam.

Some of us still remember the glass lens front lamps :(