Things we need not invented yet

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
TrevA

Re: Things we need not invented yet

Post by TrevA »

Bombproof wheels that can cope with someone who weighs more than 80kg without shedding spokes that don’t cost an arm and a leg.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

If you are going to paint anything to last you need to get compatible primer, undercoat and topcoat or whatever, apply each after solvents have disappeared, or not disappeared as advised by the manufacturer and start from a thoroughly clean surface. My knowledge of paint systems is well out of date but the fundemental principles still apply. At one point I ran the biggest powder coating plant in the UK. Our paint never flaked, discoloured or chipped and it took an awful bashing in service. We used to do the odd bike frame :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
whoof

Post by whoof »

TrevA wrote:Bombproof wheels that can cope with someone who weighs more than 80kg without shedding spokes that don’t cost an arm and a leg.

Perhaps they can do away with spokes all together. I've got a turbo pump that runs without bearings as it uses magnetic levitation. Unfortunately due to Mr Faraday it doesn't work unless it's spinning.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I just completed the whole of devon and cornwall coast on 32 spoked wheels, all up weight bike and rider of 105 kgs.
23 mm tyres and many poor cycle paths with some green lanes, navigating in the dark too.
Wheels did not fall apart.
As Brucey explains that over eight speed dish becomes a nightmare.
Mind you I had a unibalance six speed rear wheel :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
whoof

Post by whoof »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I just completed the whole of devon and cornwall coast on 32 spoked wheels, all up weight bike and rider of 105 kgs.
23 mm tyres and many poor cycle paths with some green lanes, navigating in the dark too.
Wheels did not fall apart.
As Brucey explains that over eight speed dish becomes a nightmare.
Mind you I had a unibalance six speed rear wheel :)

I've toured the route de Grand Alps and numerous tours throughout Wales and Southwest England with 20 spoke front and 24 spoke rear without any problems
Edit, this was all with either 9 or 10 speed.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Sweep wrote:
Brucey wrote:the solution is simple; just use a carabiner to clip your keys onto

ah brucey you always complicate my hasty decisions with your tips/knowledge.
It's back on the possible list.

You've still got to remember to clip the key to the carabiner when you take it out of the lock, which isn't much of an improvement over remembering to always put it in a particular pocket. It will still end up in a random pocket, or elsewhere, some of the time.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

bagpussctc wrote:Handle bar tape that is long enogh for wide bars and that stays clean.

I'm using some of this silicone tape, on On-One Midge bars as the second layer over the top of some Shimano Pro cork tape. It's stretchy enough that there was plenty of length, and it wipes clean easily (even chain oil). Durability is still to be determined.
The one disadvantage is that it doesn't seem to be available in black. The man in the LBS thought this may have been because stretching the tape during fitting could result in uneven shades of dark grey (the available colours are all relatively light).
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

The equivalent of a dropper seat post but which can alter the seat angle on a recumbent on-the-fly.

A more upright position is better for hill climbing, a more reclined position is better on the flat/downhill or against a headwind.

Can't be that hard - maybe I should...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi
....As Brucey explains that over eight speed dish becomes a nightmare.......

That's just fallacy,there are many,many people touring on 135oln 9 and 10sp (Shimano)wheels that don't fall apart,of course why anyone wants to tour with a load on anything less than 32mm tyres is a mystery to me.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

reohn2 wrote:

That's just fallacy,there are many,many people touring on 135oln 9 and 10sp (Shimano)wheels that don't fall apart,of course why anyone wants to tour with a load on anything less than 32mm tyres is a mystery to me.

the dish on 8s is the same as 9 and 10s, because the hubs are the same. But there is a big difference between 11s - 130 oln and 8/9/10s - 135mm oln

If you use an asymmetric rim and/or a shortened freehub body you can get a rear wheel which has almost uniform spoke tension. For any given weight this will be a much stronger wheel.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Brucey wrote:
the dish on 8s is the same as 9 and 10s, because the hubs are the same.rs

Yes. A set of my spa wheels are used on an 8 speed. A spacer is used to get the 8 speed cassette to lock.
Sweep
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

the dish on 8s is the same as 9 and 10s, because the hubs are the same. But there is a big difference between 11s - 130 oln and 8/9/10s - 135mm oln

If you use an asymmetric rim and/or a shortened freehub body you can get a rear wheel which has almost uniform spoke tension. For any given weight this will be a much stronger wheel.

cheers

My point is that a 9sp and 10sp 135oln wheel built well for touring is a good wheel for touring and won't collapse or give problems.Yes it could be improved on you could go 145 or 160oln or offset the rear triangle and no or very little dish,or go Rohloff,etc but modern 135oln wheels built well don't give tourists problems unless riding silly narrow HP tyres out of some go faster/efficiency belief fallacy.The fact is with anything like a load on board speed is trumped by reliability and comfort.
The usual suspects may reply how they've toured loaded on 23mm tyres and never had a problem,which says more about their wheels than their choice and size of tyres,I'm from another part of the touring spectrum :wink: .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Sorry for miss quoting, Never seen or touched anything over eight speed, so my bad :oops:

On motorcycles there was this saying "Overbiked" Or simply put, keeping up with the Joneses As you approach 200 mile an hour.
You see it mostly on people who made a jump from carbon road bikes to modern MTBs.

I could tell no difference riding 23s On my road bike vs tourer With 35s.
But I don't run underinflated tires.
I could see my mate polishing his seat and cringing at the thought of Using road tires for touring (23) :)

Brucey When you nip out for a bottle of milk or a paper, park your bike at the side, will look a bit out of place and old-fashioned next to R2s 2.3 Shod Adventure machine :-)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

Drum brake hubs updated for modern use. Options for less spoke holes to give access to a wider range of rims and other axles types such as for bolt through axles. It might not be an improvement but it's nice to keep them moving forward as an alternative to discs.
pwa

Post by pwa »

TrevA wrote:Bombproof wheels that can cope with someone who weighs more than 80kg without shedding spokes that don’t cost an arm and a leg.

I'm probably closer to 100kg than 80 and over many thousands of miles I haven't broken a spoke since about 1990. My broken spokes came when I was touring on 7 speed hubs. 9 speed is my happy zone, 130mm and 135mm OLN, and whatever the theory, they are strong enough to take me reliably. For a pair of touring wheels I would go to somewhere like Spa and pay what it costs to get well made wheels using sensible components. I'd not pay more than it takes to get that, but nor would I cut corners by looking for cheaper wheels that may have no integrity.