Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Paulatic

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Post by Paulatic »

landsurfer wrote:
So thats one stove and fuel for morning coffee between us ... :)
If staying at campsites we could carry an electric kettle and a 2 metre lead and pinch lecky for that morning brew ... like the "mature" chap at Launceston doing his JOGLE .... didn't pay for a pitch with power ... just found an empty power pitch and plugged in long enough for his morning coffee ..... :lol:

Inspired by the Launceton guy I made one last year ready for my Heb tour.
I didn’t take it.
Originally intended it for charging gizmos but decided a large capacity power pack more use. As for a kettle it’s a non starter.
B123A29C-508C-46E9-B39E-CA0F9155724C.jpeg

Weighs 200gms and takes space before you addin a kettle and lead.
Compare to my. Mini
9DB8AA16-7C43-4AFB-B8F8-F81E78E2D3FF.jpeg

Twice the weight but little more space than the plug arrangement and does it all. :D
Every campsite I used on Heb tour had a campers kitchen with at least a kettle.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Or stay hotels B&B? I need somewhere to charge ebike batteries.
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

oldmanonabike wrote:Or stay hotels B&B? I need somewhere to charge ebike batteries.

Obviously cost would increase by quite a bit compared with camping and even more so if taking 3 weeks.
The advantage is the weight of "luggage" would drop as only need to carry clothing. B&Bs should have the requisite washing facilities etc. A problem would be finding B&Bs that could take the numbers and having single beds etc.
Some hostels could have the facilities required and the cost might be cheaper. ?
Travelodges, Ibis, Premier Inn or similar might be an option. ?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Is it travel lodge that charge £30 a room a night for early bookings. Two sharing a twin room £15 a night is not much more than camping
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

oldmanonabike wrote:Is it travel lodge that charge £30 a room a night for early bookings. Two sharing a twin room £15 a night is not much more than camping

Supposedly yes.
I have never been lucky enough to come across any though. And then there is the issue of location or they are never where you want them. :roll:
https://www.hotel-finder.co.uk/travelodge-map.html
https://www.hotel-finder.co.uk/premier-inn-map.html
https://www.hotel-finder.co.uk/ibis-hotels-map.html

+ If we could link in some hostels. :wink:
https://www.bedsforcyclists.co.uk
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Lilyf

Post by Lilyf »

We use Travelodges and Premier Inns as well as b&b’s and pubs with accommodation.
We have just done a 2 week tour and as we booked our Premier Inns a few months in advance we got 4 of the 7 rooms at £29 per room. I think the most we paid was £55. We didn’t stay in any Travelodges on this trip.
You are allowed to take your bikes into your rooms. It’s best to request a ground floor room, if possible, as some don’t have lifts but ringing up to do this is quite expensive (apparently). We don’t ring!
We were lucky in that the first PI we were booked into was a ground floor room. The 2nd one, we were able to put our bikes into a lockable area and the receptionist looked at all our onward bookings and put a note against each one to request a ground floor room (if poss). They do say that they will put your bikes somewhere safe if you can’t get them to your room.
I think that all the PI’s have a pub attached (you can check online) so you know that you can get something to eat.
If you arrive early enough in the evening (usually before 6pm) a lot of the attached pubs do an early bird (cheap) menu. It’s better to ask them as they don’t always offer the information.
For breakfasts, rather than paying over £8 each we carry lightweight cereal bowls and pick up some cereal and milk as we get near to the accommodation. There’s always loads of top up tea/coffee/milk on reception for a brew.
The only thing they ask is that you don’t take a wet, dirty bike into your room. We carry a few rags so that the bikes can have a wipe down if necessary. We were lucky - we always arrived dry (except for one b&b where she took our dripping clothes off us and hung them round an aga).
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Lilyf wrote:We use Travelodges and Premier Inns as well as b&b’s and pubs with accommodation.
We have just done a 2 week tour and as we booked our Premier Inns a few months in advance we got 4 of the 7 rooms at £29 per room. I think the most we paid was £55. We didn’t stay in any Travelodges on this trip.
You are allowed to take your bikes into your rooms. It’s best to request a ground floor room, if possible, as some don’t have lifts but ringing up to do this is quite expensive (apparently). We don’t ring!
We were lucky in that the first PI we were booked into was a ground floor room. The 2nd one, we were able to put our bikes into a lockable area and the receptionist looked at all our onward bookings and put a note against each one to request a ground floor room (if poss). They do say that they will put your bikes somewhere safe if you can’t get them to your room.
I think that all the PI’s have a pub attached (you can check online) so you know that you can get something to eat.
If you arrive early enough in the evening (usually before 6pm) a lot of the attached pubs do an early bird (cheap) menu. It’s better to ask them as they don’t always offer the information.
For breakfasts, rather than paying over £8 each we carry lightweight cereal bowls and pick up some cereal and milk as we get near to the accommodation. There’s always loads of top up tea/coffee/milk on reception for a brew.
The only thing they ask is that you don’t take a wet, dirty bike into your room. We carry a few rags so that the bikes can have a wipe down if necessary. We were lucky - we always arrived dry (except for one b&b where she took our dripping clothes off us and hung them round an aga).

That's excellent information Thank You
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

cycleruk wrote:
oldmanonabike wrote:Is it travel lodge that charge £30 a room a night for early bookings. Two sharing a twin room £15 a night is not much more than camping

Supposedly yes.
I have never been lucky enough to come across any though. And then there is the issue of location or they are never where you want them. :roll:
https://www.hotel-finder.co.uk/travelodge-map.html
https://www.hotel-finder.co.uk/premier-inn-map.html
https://www.hotel-finder.co.uk/ibis-hotels-map.html

+ If we could link in some hostels. :wink:
https://www.bedsforcyclists.co.uk

Re location I'm sure you me and Kev can make a route that will fit them in
Nickeveson

Post by Nickeveson »

My lovely wife has said she will drive down with us so carrying stuff may not be a problem, as she will carry all tents etc in the van.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Nickeveson wrote:My lovely wife has said she will drive down with us so carrying stuff may not be a problem, as she will carry all tents etc in the van.

Dont forget fuel costs Nick.
Our modern fuel efficient van burned the best part of £700 worth of fuel on our last trip. Our vintage camper burned over £400 of fuel for the 2000 mile trip.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
flash

Post by flash »

I’d be happy to contribute towards fuel costs if it means we don’t have to carry kit. We could also go back to camping. Nick, you could lend Ken your tent to save him carrying the monster tent..... :)
Nickeveson

Post by Nickeveson »

It's not too bad on fuel...as long as she drives it sensibly. Ken is welcome to my tent
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

flash wrote:I’d be happy to contribute towards fuel costs if it means we don’t have to carry kit. We could also go back to camping. Nick, you could lend Ken your tent to save him carrying the monster tent..... :)

I think sharing fuel and other costs is a great idea and I would take up the offer of the tent loan.
I would still need my batteries recharging though
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

oldmanonabike wrote:
flash wrote:I’d be happy to contribute towards fuel costs if it means we don’t have to carry kit. We could also go back to camping. Nick, you could lend Ken your tent to save him carrying the monster tent..... :)

I think sharing fuel and other costs is a great idea and I would take up the offer of the tent loan.I've got my own pillow.
I would still need my batteries recharging though
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

I know most of us don't want a reversal of our Lejog route and that I fancy including Inverness to Fort William via canal path.
Has anyone else got ideas of places that they want to see or avoid.