Cutting the grass

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
kwackers

Re: Cutting the grass

Post by kwackers »

Mick F wrote:Our mower is a Stiga Multiclip. It mulches as it mows.
Excellent machine and if it broke, I'd buy another.

https://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/rota ... 48S15.aspx

Mines a Honda HRX537HY* which also mulches.

Things I learned about mulching, it only really works if you cut regularly, if the grass gets too long you increase the amount of thatch.
I also found if I mulched every time I'd end up with thatch too.

So now I always cut (and collect) if the grass is long. Otherwise I do one cut/collect followed by a mulch, that way I usually have no or little thatch at the end of the year.

(*I didn't pay that for it, I got it "free" with the house)
pwa

Post by pwa »

kwackers wrote:
Mick F wrote:Our mower is a Stiga Multiclip. It mulches as it mows.
Excellent machine and if it broke, I'd buy another.

https://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/rota ... 48S15.aspx

Mines a Honda HRX537HY* which also mulches.

Things I learned about mulching, it only really works if you cut regularly, if the grass gets too long you increase the amount of thatch.
I also found if I mulched every time I'd end up with thatch too.

So now I always cut (and collect) if the grass is long. Otherwise I do one cut/collect followed by a mulch, that way I usually have no or little thatch at the end of the year.

(*I didn't pay that for it, I got it "free" with the house)

I reckon Honda do the best mower engines, but it is unwise to use most 4 stroke engines on steep slopes.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

pwa wrote:....... unwise to use most 4 stroke engines on steep slopes.
I see your reasons for saying that, but I can assure you that after 22years cutting the grass here on STEEP slopes both up and down and sideways, the mowers I've used in all that time have been 4stroke and I've never ever added oil to them and never ever had an issue.

Our Stiga is perhaps the longest lived mower we've had. Two previous ........... first one cheapo from B+Q or somewhere, rusted out and mechanisms packed in, though the engine was fine. Second one was given away and is till in use as far as I know. Bought the Stiga as it was easier to use due to front wheel drive and being a mulcher was a bonus.

This photo is from 2012 not long after buying the Stiga. Photo from the roof of the bungalow.
Back Garden.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

You sure you it wasn't just a wonky pergola? Some slope!
John
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mick F wrote:
pwa wrote:....... unwise to use most 4 stroke engines on steep slopes.
I see your reasons for saying that, but I can assure you that after 22years cutting the grass here on STEEP slopes both up and down and sideways, the mowers I've used in all that time have been 4stroke and I've never ever added oil to them and never ever had an issue.

Our Stiga is perhaps the longest lived mower we've had. Two previous ........... first one cheapo from B+Q or somewhere, rusted out and mechanisms packed in, though the engine was fine. Second one was given away and is till in use as far as I know. Bought the Stiga as it was easier to use due to front wheel drive and being a mulcher was a bonus.

This photo is from 2012 not long after buying the Stiga. Photo from the roof of the bungalow.
Back Garden.JPG

I did wonder if the "not using 4 strikes on steep slopes" thing was an old wives tale or based on mowers from way back.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

pwa wrote:I did wonder if the "not using 4 strikes on steep slopes" thing was an old wives tale or based on mowers from way back.

It's really down to the design of the sump and oil pick up / pump.

If the sump is deep then the oil will fill it no problem but it does make the engine taller. A shallow sump runs the risk of oil moving away from the pick up tube.
So I guess in summary; it all depends...

These days though you can get a perfectly good rechargeable mower - although cost is up there with the more expensive petrol ones.

(I'm waiting for good robot mowers to become cheap.)
pwa

Post by pwa »

I expect MickF would welcome good robot mowers becoming cheap. :lol:
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
What about sheep and goats, I'm sure that would pay for itself quite quickly, let alone the hard work cutting the grass.
My garden is a postage stamp in comparison and on the flat still makes me sweat cutting it.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Grazing livestock create their own problems. First, you need a good fence. Second, you need to be happy to say goodbye to garden plants. And third, poop all over the place.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

pwa wrote:Grazing livestock create their own problems. First, you need a good fence. Second, you need to be happy to say goodbye to garden plants. And third, poop all over the place.

You also need a livestock license and vet bills aren't cheap, plus the time spent looking after them.
Cheaper to pay a grass company to come and cut it.

OTOH, my missus loves goats, she'd jump at the chance to have a few.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Goats will even eat the washing off the washing line!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

kwackers wrote:
fausto copy wrote:Aren't all that painful?????

The ones I've had (and why are they always in three's!) are damn painful indeed.

Interesting podcast on the subject (from the BBC)
Program URL:https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csz4ff
Download as .mp3http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/6/redir/version/2.0/mediaset/audio-nondrm-download-low/proto/http/vpid/p079qhqq.mp3
The bit about pain starts 14:00 mins into the podcast.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Robot mowers are only any good if the grass is smooth as well as flat-ish. They wouldn't be heavy enough to grip up and down the hills.
I doubt one would work here.

With a powered mower you control yourself, you assist the machine to climb and steer. That's the good thing about front-wheel drive as you put upward pressure on the handle, the front wheels grip better. With rear-wheel drive, you press down for better grip but the front lifts and the cut suffers. .................. or that's my experience here.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I remember seeing contract workers cutting slopes with flymos and some rope tied to the handle :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pwa

Post by pwa »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I remember seeing contract workers cutting slopes with flymos and some rope tied to the handle :)

My last job included a lot of grounds maintenance and sometimes I would be the only person around when a 45 degree grass bank about the size of two tennis courts needed the grass cutting, and we used strimmers. It would have knackered the Honda 4 stroke mowers, which would not have gripped anyway, and the flymo option was tried but was very hard on the back, so strimmers it was. Very hard on the body strimming at that angle over such a large area.