unwelcome sight during walk on Downs

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: hate-speech graffiti

Post by reohn2 »

bovlomov wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:
661-Pete wrote:On the other hand, my feeling is that if we had voted Remain, there would not have been so much of a resurgence in these European extremist groups since 2016.

I don't see that the two can be correlated.

I think it is a complicated story and it's difficult to untangle all the causes and all the effects. In no particular order:
- There were racist threads running through the referendum campaign.
- Extremists campaigning for Brexit here have close contacts with extremists throughout the continent.
- Extremists have been emboldened by the referendum.
- There are rising nationalist movements across the globe that have nothing to do with Brexit.
- We still haven't got to the bottom of Russia's involvement with Brexit. Russia has been close to some of Europe's nationalist leaders.
- Brexit isn't, in itself, a racist project.
- Even if the style of some Brexit campaigning has pushed a few more to the extremes, it doesn't mean the population as a whole has moved. Social media and graffiti, hopefully, aren't representative.

Racism was was used as a tool in the form of anti immigration throughout the referendum campaign's propaganda and IMO a good proportion of voters were stirred up to vote for Brexit as a result.
The little englanders interpretation and belief that the UK can go it alone adrift of continental Europe,meaning the UK doesn't need Johnny foreigner to help us build a better country.
They couldn't be more wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mikeonabike

Re: unwelcome sight during walk on Downs

Post by mikeonabike »

If this graffiti is on the back of a National Trust poster, then report it to the National Trust.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote:
661-Pete wrote:
Being more closely associated with European countries, even those which do have problems of this nature, means that Britain's security service can work more closely with the corresponding security services in those countries, to counteract these threats. By leaving the EU we sacrifice that.

No we wont, like lots of links with Europe it will continue in a slightly different form. They dont want to give up what we are best at. Pretending sacrifice is just part of Project Fear to keep us in. You Remainers are all so naive! :lol:

Al

The Met's head of counter terrorism must be naive then al. He says a no deal Brexit will damage the country's security through loss of access to EU data https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-brita ... KKCN1UX0M5 . He knows more than you and may even know more than you think you do.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PH

Post by PH »

bovlomov wrote:Anyway - REMOVE INK GET SHOT SAVVY? - does anyone know what it means? Is that a full stop after SHOT?

It means they've been a little careless with the felt tip, got it on their clothing and now they're in trouble with mummy. White power is the hope that Persil can live up to it's advertising.
I have no idea why anyone can't understand this, or what it has to do with Brexit.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:
bovlomov wrote:Anyway - REMOVE INK GET SHOT SAVVY? - does anyone know what it means? Is that a full stop after SHOT?

It means they've been a little careless with the felt tip, got it on their clothing and now they're in trouble with mummy. White power is the hope that Persil can live up to it's advertising.
I have no idea why anyone can't understand this, or what it has to do with Brexit.

Thanks for the insight,it's all clear now :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I think it means anyone removing sheep markings will be shot.
And that sheep will inherit the world.

It's a rural slant!!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Could it be 'art' by a famous anonymous 'artist' :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Could it be 'art' by a famous anonymous 'artist' :?
...in which case I needn't worry. Just wait until some art collector snaps it up at auction for oodles of dosh, then it'll mysteriously shred itself...

Anyway, I've sent an E-mail to the National Trust but they haven't responded. Perhaps next time we go that way, I should take a bottle of white spirit...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pwa

Post by pwa »

661-Pete wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Could it be 'art' by a famous anonymous 'artist' :?
...in which case I needn't worry. Just wait until some art collector snaps it up at auction for oodles of dosh, then it'll mysteriously shred itself...

Anyway, I've sent an E-mail to the National Trust but they haven't responded. Perhaps next time we go that way, I should take a bottle of white spirit...

I don't know what the solvent is in marker pens but the only time I tried removing it I found white spirit ineffective. It was on one of those white boards and someone had accidentally used permanent marker. What did work was using the same permanent marker over the offending lines, then wiping quickly before the solvent evaporated away. But if anyone caught you doing that it would look as though you had written it. :lol:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pwa wrote:I don't know what the solvent is in marker pens but the only time I tried removing it I found white spirit ineffective. It was on one of those white boards and someone had accidentally used permanent marker. What did work was using the same permanent marker over the offending lines, then wiping quickly before the solvent evaporated away. But if anyone caught you doing that it would look as though you had written it. :lol:
Meths, then?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
pwa

Post by pwa »

661-Pete wrote:
pwa wrote:I don't know what the solvent is in marker pens but the only time I tried removing it I found white spirit ineffective. It was on one of those white boards and someone had accidentally used permanent marker. What did work was using the same permanent marker over the offending lines, then wiping quickly before the solvent evaporated away. But if anyone caught you doing that it would look as though you had written it. :lol:
Meths, then?

A quick search suggests alcohol. Booze.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

bovlomov wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Do you never tire of the "Brexit supporters bad" approach to life ..... :roll:

Read it again.

Nowhere do I imply that Brexit supporters are bad.

There is evidence connecting aggressive nationalism with Brexit.

Different things.

The issue is that Brexit DID embolden some extremists, with the Right Wing using it as an opportunity to promote their propaganda on the wave of Nationalism Brexit invoked

It also illustrates the biggest issue with Brexit, in that the noise from the extremists on both sides is drowning out the moderate voices that are the ones talking commonsense, informed answers and the contingencies that we need
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Clearly a Moggy supporter :lol:
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

al_yrpal wrote:
bovlomov wrote:Here's a thing. Al's '... remainers are all...' is a generalisation, of the type that I didn't make about Brexiters.

Sorry about that but I have just got into the mindset of all those Remainers who keep asserting we Leavers are all thick uninformed racists. I think I would rather be described as naive. :D

Al

Thick uninformed racists might be too close to the truth. For what I see/hear from Leavers, on this forum and elsewhere, promotes a perception that they are uninformed (thick too), as their opinions are never or at best rarely, supported by anything remotely resembling an informed opinion.

John.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mercalia wrote:Clearly a Moggy supporter :lol:
Absolutely not! I love pussy-cats, I'd never dream of shooting one, and I didn't write the graffiti!