** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote:
pete75 wrote:Good job all my bikes that need lights have hub alternators then.
Get yourself a set of rollers, pronto! And then get pedalling. You'll need those alternators just to light your house, come No-Deal!

Hardly. Have three Tilley lamps and a generator.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

mercalia wrote:seems he is quite happy to take handouts from the EU

Boris Johnson’s controversial enforcer, Dominic Cummings, an architect of Brexit and a fierce critic of Brussels, is co-owner of a farm that has received €250,000 (£235,000) in EU farming subsidies, the Observer can reveal.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eu-subsidy

I don't think that is necessarily hypocritical. Campaigning against something doesn't require a unilateral sacrifice.

But there's a lot else wrong about Cummings. Almost everything, in fact.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I see UKIP have got a new leader: "Dick Brain"
It's hard to tell the difference between real life and a parody these days.

(Might be Braine, I forget...)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

bovlomov wrote:
mercalia wrote:seems he is quite happy to take handouts from the EU

Boris Johnson’s controversial enforcer, Dominic Cummings, an architect of Brexit and a fierce critic of Brussels, is co-owner of a farm that has received €250,000 (£235,000) in EU farming subsidies, the Observer can reveal.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eu-subsidy

I don't think that is necessarily hypocritical. Campaigning against something doesn't require a unilateral sacrifice.

But there's a lot else wrong about Cummings. Almost everything, in fact.

well if you read the article

The revelation opens Cummings up to charges of hypocrisy, as writing on his blog, he has attacked the use of agricultural subsidies “dreamed up in the 1950s and 1960s” because they “raise prices for the poor to subsidise rich farmers while damaging agriculture in Africa”.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

mercalia wrote:well if you read the article

The revelation opens Cummings up to charges of hypocrisy, as writing on his blog, he has attacked the use of agricultural subsidies “dreamed up in the 1950s and 1960s” because they “raise prices for the poor to subsidise rich farmers while damaging agriculture in Africa”.

I saw that.

Many moons ago, Charlotte Church was ridiculed on social media for being wealthy and campaigning for higher taxes for higher earners. Almost all of the critics declared that, to avoid being a hypocrite, she could volunteer to pay higher taxes. I thought that argument was comparable to telling someone campaigning for a lower speed limit to drive slowly themselves. It does nothing to address the wider injustice.

In Cummings' case, we think we know whose side he's on. He's rich and he's campaigning for the rich to become richer.

Actually, I'm not sure that's true in his mind. In the past he has criticised Tories for not caring about the poor. He has all kinds of juvenile and simplistic theories about smashing the institutions and rebuilding a new world from the ground up (Adrian Mole meets Pol Pot). In the meantime, I don't think there is anything inherently hypocritical about his claiming EU subsidies.

His most glaring hypocrisy is that he accepted the role of unelected bureaucrat. You'd think Brexit supporters would be up in arms.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Now my latest dilemma is this:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -50p-coins
What to do if these wretched coins actually come into being and I get one in my change?

My first inclination would be to refuse to accept it, claiming that "it's not Legal Tender" or something. If that doesn't work, I'd be minded to deface it in some way. Any suggestions?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

661-Pete wrote:Now my latest dilemma is this:
What to do if these wretched coins actually come into being and I get one in my change?

My first inclination would be to refuse to accept it, claiming that "it's not Legal Tender" or something. If that doesn't work, I'd be minded to deface it in some way. Any suggestions?

I think your larger problem is what the thing will be worth, rather than what's printed on it. Given that it's already lost more than 10p of its value since the referendum.

The sentiment to be printed on it is positively Orwellian:

“Friendship with all nations”
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

bovlomov wrote:
His most glaring hypocrisy is that he accepted the role of unelected bureaucrat. You'd think Brexit supporters would be up in arms.

Spot on!
John
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

roubaixtuesday wrote:The sentiment to be printed on it is positively Orwellian:

Indeed:
...except Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

661-Pete wrote:

Indeed:
...except Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

Don't forget Scotland. Britain Trump hates Scotland.
John
slowster

Post by slowster »

661-Pete wrote:

Indeed:

We have always been at war with the European Union.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

661-Pete wrote:Now my latest dilemma is this:

I thought the idea was to flog them off for £10? so not likely to get one in your change?

Any one here still got a Churchill Crown? I have some where. Whats it worthnow? Can I use it as legal tender - certainly would be interesting to pop it in a self service payout at Sainsburys to see what happens :lol:

I am surprised that the torys didnt mint a Thatcher Crown :roll:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I have a QE2 coronation crown. Don't know what it's worth, but it won't fit any slot I think. Anyway I'm hanging on to it.

I also have a silver 3d - a "joey"? Did you know that they're still legal tender - the only pre-decimal circulated coin that is? Nominal value 3p (yes that's three new pence). But you'd be daft to try and spend it for that...
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
There are billions of copper coins in circulation one and two p, Collected in glass bottles.
Make all retailers Who now up that price to full pounds, pass on the pennies to some good cause?
Later phase out two P coins And do the same thing.
Good idea.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Make all retailers Who now up that price to full pounds, pass on the pennies to some good cause?
Some retailers already do that. Or rather, I remember one (I forget which), as I was buying something for £X-99, paying by plastic, they suggested, would I like to donate the odd 1p to charity? It's a tiny amount, but I agreed. I hope they do pass on the odd 1p's....

Later phase out two P coins And do the same thing.
There's some precedent for that. In the early 19th century the lowest-denomination coin in circulation was the half-farthing (1/8 D). Apparently that coin's purchasing power was roughly the same as a modern 5p...