damaged urethra

shobo

damaged urethra

Post by shobo »

Hi
This hurts to explain but physically hurt a lot more.
Day 3 of 10 day LEJOG, got a saddle sore from rogue shorts. I got an infection by day 6 and flu-like symptoms, I think due to the saddle sore.
The sore didn't get worse, but stayed painful, and I compensated by wearing 2 pairs of shorts and moving my bum forward on the saddle. Grave mistake !!
Day 6 I got the foul symptoms mentioned above, which caused me to drop out, and at the same time had difficulty passing water. One day later, medical emergency, I could pass no water, had catheter fitted. This is not something I would wish on my worst enemy. Entirely debilitating - in spite of what the nurse said.
I got them to remove it after 6 days, on the basis I had no underlying illness, just bruising of the urethra.
There is no alternative to having a catheter fitted if you cant wee, but the catheter itself can cause damage to the urethra.
I am in the process of recovering I hope from that damage, weeing is painful, it may or may not improve, and the thought of the implications if it doesn't improve - don't go there !
Anyone out there with experience / knowledge of this ?
Mike Sales

Re: damaged urethra

Post by Mike Sales »

shobo wrote:Anyone out there with experience / knowledge of this ?

I ruptured my urethra in an accident, amongst other injuries.
I was catheterised, and bedbound for other reasons. The full story is longer, and perhaps not relevant
At one point the catheter blocked, and the pain of a full bladder that I could not empty was acute.
Since then my bladder capacity has been lessened, and the strength of the stream diminished. The urethra has had to be dilated several times, which is an operation needing anaesthetic.

I have had no problems with cycling though.

It sounds as if the cause of your problem is very different to mine, but perhaps my experience of being able to sit on a saddle may reassure.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
shobo

Post by shobo »

tx mike
shobo

Post by shobo »

The strength of my stream is very diminished, and its somewhat painful. But at least I can pass.
I suspect I may be looking at dilation.
Its very nice to know that cycling can be resumed, thanks for that Mike.
As an aside, the care that I received was / is disgracefully bad. If I explained, it would sound like a rant. Essentially, I had the catheter fitted by a nurse and was told to go home and sit for up to 4 weeks, debilitated, knowing nothing, no advice, no urologist, no spares, no appointments, no nothing, GP didn't care, if I wanted to find out anything I had to physically go back to A&E and make a nuisance of myself.
I forced the issue by telling them to remove the catheter, otherwise I would have had the default position of a catheter staying in for 4 weeks regardless of cause (knowing that catheters can cause damage and infection) and getting no treatment or advice whatever. At no time was a medic involved never mind a urologist. Now I have had the catheter removed, there is no follow up, no nothing.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I too have some causes to complain about my treatment in hospital.
This story is not a complaint, but may amuse.
When the catheter blocked, eventually a young doctor arrived, clutching a piece of wire. He bent this into a shape and I realised he was going to shove it up my tender bit.
"Will this hurt?"
"That depends."
It was not too bad.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Standard advice: this and like problems have been discussed here before, try searching these fora
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
shobo

Post by shobo »

please tell me it wasn't an unbent clothes hanger mike
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

shobo wrote:please tell me it wasn't an unbent clothes hanger mike

It looked quite like one.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yeh, been there several times done that worn the T shirt :P

It does not have to stay very long before blood etc ozes.
And don't they alf yank it out :(
I remember trying to pee, well wanting to but could not, took me an hour.
I wanted to lying down but standing nothing, I ended up one foot on the floor and one leg on the hospital bed, eventually and filled a bottle.

Walking down the corridor, one retort stand with drip in one hand, another in the other hand, a nurse took pity on me and carried the bag connected to the catheter.

Getting that thing out is a feeling of freedom..............only to wake from another op with yet another bag :x

Good luck with your recovery.

P.S. wait till you get that bedroom feeling back and it stretches :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
shobo

Post by shobo »

Tx Natural, Ive PMd you.