Touring on an electric bike?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
reohn2

Re: Touring on an electric bike?

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Al
It's nothing your Ortler.?.but you're comparing eggs with apples.

The R and M uses exactly the same Bosch drive and control as the Ortler, it doesnt even offer a more advanced or more powerful model like the CX. For the extra 2 grand you probably get stronger wheels, better hubs and headset and a fancy drive system that might prove troublesome compared with a simple tried and tested derriallier. The R and M does give you a couple of nice racks and fat tyres, but thats not too relavent for touring. What I am trying to point out is that good quality suitable EBs are available for only a battery cost more than a decent quality conventional tourer. One shouldnt be put off by a £4.5 k price tag, it just isnt necessary. Thats in contrast to the BSO EBs offered by QVC etc which probably wouldnt be reliable for touring. A close look at a £1500 Ortler, Cube or similar would be convincing.

Al

It DOES have the Bosch CX motor,it also offers a choice of drivetrain:-10sp deraileur,Vario or Rohloff the latter two with Gates CF belt drive
The bike is a purpose built,heavy duty,load lugging,short wheel base cargo bike,that can take 60kg on the rear and 5kg up front on purpose built specific steel racks bolted to a frame built for that application,wheels are heavy duty 26inch shod with Big Apple 2.15inch tyres,it also has a purpose built centre stand to handle such heavier duties.
The 2019 model has the two removable batteries in the frame tubes not like the one in the link.
The bike is customisable with extras for different applications,drivetrain already mentioned,there's also folding passenger foot pegs,handlebar and rack seat options.The rack is made to take child seats,huge specific pannier bags that in themselves are very adaptable as shown in the review,such adaptations and specifics don't come cheap and whilst your Otler can go some way toward such a bike as the R&M Multicharger,it can't ever be what the R&M is,it's simply not built for those specifics.
Chalk v cheese,Ford Transit v Ford Fous,are comparisons that spring to mind.

To emphasise(yet again),I'm NOT criticising your bike or any in the Otler range,but there's no comparison between the two models of bike in question because they arent built for the same application
Last edited by reohn2 on 11 Aug 2019, 2:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

cyclemad wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:The only issue is charging.

If you get a bike with a detachable battery and off-bike charging, take it into your accommodation and charge. Camping can be more troublesome.

we were on a camping / caravan site and there was a couple who ebikes - they were in a tent and it was their first weekend away....hadnt realised there was no hook up available - so we ran an extension from out external Elec point on our caravan and they used that to charge up there bikes.....elec wasnt metered so didn't cause any issues

It may be worthwhile for potential ebike campers to ring ahead and see if they can get their batts charged on the site...or if ''wild camping '' the nearest shop which may assist ?

I should think a campsite reception or a cafe stop would oblige with charging,even if they charge say £1 for the privelidge.
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

reohn2 wrote:
To emphasise(yet again),I'm NOT criticising your bike or any in the Otler range,but there's no comparison between the two models of bike in question because they arent built for the same application

I agree, that said, I would rather choose a Trekking bike specifically designed and built for touring for about £3 grand less bearing in mind the title of this thread. :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:I suspect the two e-bike policepersons may be along shortly..

Only two?
Constable Bryn at your service :wink:
Just going out on my 'real' bike, maybe I shall comment when I get back
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Oldjohnw wrote:
cyclemad wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:The only issue is charging.

If you get a bike with a detachable battery and off-bike charging, take it into your accommodation and charge. Camping can be more troublesome.

we were on a camping / caravan site and there was a couple who ebikes - they were in a tent and it was their first weekend away....hadnt realised there was no hook up available - so we ran an extension from out external Elec point on our caravan and they used that to charge up there bikes.....elec wasnt metered so didn't cause any issues

It may be worthwhile for potential ebike campers to ring ahead and see if they can get their batts charged on the site...or if ''wild camping '' the nearest shop which may assist ?

Exactly what I do as explained above. An hour or so charge at breakfast and lunch and a couple on the pub at night. At House of Briar on A9 last year I left the battery by arrangement in the office all afternoon while I had lunch then climbed the Falls of Briar.

Using hookup on a site might be problematic as I believe you need a special lead and waterproof plug as well as your charger. A lot of extra weight.

Or setup next to someone with a hookup and chat nicely
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I suspect the two e-bike policepersons may be along shortly..

Only two?
Constable Bryn at your service :wink:
Just going out on my 'real' bike, maybe I shall comment when I get back

Constable you've no authority here :roll:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

I agree, that said, I would rather choose a Trekking bike specifically designed and built for touring for about £3 grand less bearing in mind the title of this thread. :D

Al

That because your requirements are different to others.
If you care to look at my first post on the subject you'll see I specified the use for such a 'vehicle' as the R&M Multicharger,which though included touring,also included many other aspects of use for a true around doall bike.
TBH if I were looking for a general purpose e-bike for touring your Otler would be slight overkill.
W H Auden
mongoose

Post by mongoose »

I don't have an e-bike but some in our group do and we toured along the Mosel, Rhine and Hunsruck in June with 2 e-bikes in the group [both Cube Touring Pro 500's] - max daily distance 56 miles. These bikes have a good 11 speed gear range, so are still OK to ride without power. We have had no problems with battery endurance.

We have also done the Way of the Roses with the e-bikes and tomorrow we are off the the Lon Cambria tomorrow morning with two e-bikes in the group - might be a bit wet on Wednesday for the leg from Rhayader to Aberystwyth :(

Last year one of our group hired an e-bike for the tour between Innsbruck and Lake Garda over the Alps and there was only one 60 mile day when he ran out of battery - only 400Wh compared to his usual 500Wh.

The only downside is that we can't take the e-bikes by plane - that's why we drove to Germany this year.
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

LittleGreyCat wrote: I am wondering about an electric bike and trailer as a support vehicle for conventional touring, though.

I suppose the first question is what exactly do you mean by a "support vehicle"?
When I think of a support vehicle it is carrying food/water/spare parts and has the ability to pick up a bike and rider. What do you envision your support vehicle carrying?

I met an older couple failing miserably to shelter from freezing rain along Lake Konstanz a couple of years ago. despite their physical misery they were enjoying their credit card tour - on electric bikes. They made it clear they never would have tried it on conventional bikes. Similarly, I met a couple with young children who had rented E-bikes for the kids so they could do "adult" length touring days without killing the kids. E-bikes can be great, but as is suggested above it requires more pre-planning to make sure you get a recharging point. It may require carrying your own charging cable and depending on the campsite, items left overnight to charge can sometimes be difficult to claim at a time suiting you the next day. Costs will be higher in campsites and choice will be more limited. Some French muni campsites are little more than a field and a toilet block.

Don't forget too that your experience was in NL and Germany, 2 places that are very well equipped for Ebikes. Other countries may not be as E-bike friendly.

Then there is the limit on air travel. Of course, even a regular bike with a trailer is more difficult to transport. Bear in mind too, that while it's easy to roll onto a train in NL with a bike, it is less so with a trailer. Your support vehicle may have to ride when the others bail! :D
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

HobbesOnTour wrote:
LittleGreyCat wrote: I am wondering about an electric bike and trailer as a support vehicle for conventional touring, though.

I suppose the first question is what exactly do you mean by a "support vehicle"?
When I think of a support vehicle it is carrying food/water/spare parts and has the ability to pick up a bike and rider. What do you envision your support vehicle carrying?

<snip>

I was thinking of something with extra carrying capacity for tools and spares, to free off the steam powered cyclists.
Perhaps a tent/camping and cooking equipment and food.

It depends on how much more load an electric set up could shift.

I wasn't thinking of carrying a spare rider and bicycle. :lol:
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

LittleGreyCat wrote:Just found this on Evans website.
https://www.evanscycles.com/coffeestop/news/riding-the-world-by-e-bike
So touring with a trailer is already a thing.

I now have serious trailer envy.

This is a real Trailer - The Koga Miyata Chela

..and in road mode

Of course the ultimate camping trailer....

[youtube]ijRp_nW7MJo[/youtube]
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

My GTech Sport specifically instructs that a trailer must not be used with this bike.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

My GTech Sport specifically forbids trailer use.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Some do, some don't.

I use two-wheel trailers on my recumbent trikes as single wheels put stress on the frame.
ossie

Post by ossie »

I recently went out through Harwich.

In the queue were a lovely couple on Electric Danish cargo type bikes doing a week tour of the Netherlands. They had their own small generator to charge the bikes !

I also met a young lady on an e bike who was doing the Rhine / Danube (EV15 / EV6) fully loaded.