Forehead mounting for an "action cam"?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
TrailRat

Forehead mounting for an "action cam"?

Post by TrailRat »

Just got myself a little "action cam" to record my cycling rekindling, but I'm not really keen on the idea of putting a cam on top or to the side of the cycle helmet. Has anyone had any success in mounting to the front of the helmet? A forehead mount, if you will.

Please and thank you :)
Don't Forget To Be Awesome or just DFTBA!

Meddle not in the affairs of the dragon; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
iandriver

Re: Forehead mounting for an "action cam"?

Post by iandriver »

Probably depends on the make of your camera. Certainly you can mount a GoPro to just about any flat or sticky out bit you can think of.
https://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/gopro-bike-mount/
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
TrailRat

Post by TrailRat »

iandriver wrote:Probably depends on the make of your camera.

I bought myself a Campak X15, it certainly looks like it has all the bits and pieces that a GoPro would have.
Don't Forget To Be Awesome or just DFTBA!

Meddle not in the affairs of the dragon; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Looks a similar profile to the GoPro, so I guess it's down to weight and how well it balances on your head. The action cams I've used, I've always been able to feel the weight of when mounted anywhere but top mount. I haven't tried this model or the laters GoPro style, so my advice would be to mount it not too permanently at first and see how it feels after a while, not just the first few seconds.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Bear in mind, if you mount that camera on the front of your helmet it will unbalance the helmet and could lead to it tipping forward unless you adjusted the straps corrcectly & tightly. I've got a GoPro Hero5 Session on the front of my helmet and even a camera that small was noticable and needed some getting used to.
shobo

Post by shobo »

Not done it yet, but thinking of a gopro with image stabilisation on my hbar. Aside, I've been expecting gopros to come down a lot in price for years. They havent. Competitors apparently are not so good at image stabilisation ?
dim

Post by dim »

If your camera is compatabe with a go pro mount get a K Edge handlebar mount where you can mount your bike computer and underneath your camera .... quality but pricy when compared to other similar mounts

https://k-edge.com/shop/computer-mounts/garmin-mounts/garmin-xl-combo-mount/

I've tried a helmet mount but the problem is that it's difficult to set the camera at the correct angle .... a chest strap is a lot easier

as for image stabilization, I looked closely at the go pro but ended up getting a Garmin Virb Ultra 30 .... image stabilization is amazing even on bumpy roads
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

It was rumoured Schumacher had a helmet mounted camera which is wot did is ed in..

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I wouldn't mount anything on my head/helmet.
Concern for personal safety.
And then my gripe about some london cyclists mounting rear flashers like lazers on their helmets to flash straight into my eyeballs.
Sweep
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Sweep wrote:I wouldn't mount anything on my head/helmet.
Concern for personal safety.
And then my gripe about some london cyclists mounting rear flashers like lazers on their helmets to flash straight into my eyeballs.

Ditto - you have a fall, you land on the bit of helemt with the camera on it, think about what's likey to happen as the impact goes though the camera mount ) a small area) as opposed to being spread across the surface of the the helmet. I have my cam on the handlbars, no risk of it punching through my helmet in case of a fall.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !