Trek Domane frame failure

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
TrevA

Re: Trek Domane frame failure

Post by TrevA »

Reviving an old thread in a Cyril Haearn stylee!

Sad to say that my replacement Trek Domane frame has again cracked in the same place. It was making a funny noise on its last ride on Wednesday and I discovered a crack when last cleaning it yesterday. I don’t think I’ve still got the the paperwork relating to the original purchase or the replacement frame so it might be curtains for this bike. It’s done sterling service over the last 6 years - probably about 25000 miles. Im a bit gutted as I’ve just changed the chain, cassette and brake and gear cables, but I may be able to salvage these and re-use them.

So it looks like it’s new bike time!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
whoof

Post by whoof »

TrevA wrote:Reviving an old thread in a Cyril Haearn stylee!

It's not really in that style as it's a relevant up date to the original post.

Pity about the frame, look on the bright side, getting a new bike/frame it's always something to look forward to.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

TrevA wrote:Reviving an old thread in a Cyril Haearn stylee!

Sad to say that my replacement Trek Domane frame has again cracked in the same place. It was making a funny noise on its last ride on Wednesday and I discovered a crack when last cleaning it yesterday. I don’t think I’ve still got the the paperwork relating to the original purchase or the replacement frame so it might be curtains for this bike. It’s done sterling service over the last 6 years - probably about 25000 miles. Im a bit gutted as I’ve just changed the chain, cassette and brake and gear cables, but I may be able to salvage these and re-use them.

Surely the dealer you bought from will still have all the details?
That’s if still in business where I bought from AFAIK is no longer a Trek dealer.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

TrevA wrote:
Sad to say that my replacement Trek Domane frame has again cracked in the same place. …... It’s done sterling service over the last 6 years - probably about 25000 miles.......

from the dates of your posts, the replacement frame has lasted less than four years.

You might be able to get another frame out of them but IMHO it is pointless; unless you do something different (longer seat post?) it'll almost certainly just break again.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mig

Post by mig »

sorry to hear about another crack.

is 6 years and 25,000 miles really 'sterling service' though?
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

One of my riding friends whose son is a Trek dealer turned up a few weeks ago on a brand new Trek Domane SLR 7 disc machine. On our last ride but one the whole saddle/seatmast section started waggling around in a fairly alarming manner - something seemed to have broken in the IsoSpeed suspension stuff - and he had to exercise his mobile phone to call his wife for a lift home. He said he'd only ridden about 1000km on the bike at the time it failed. It's presently back at his son's bike shop awaiting a replacement frame from Trek.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

I thought that due to the low fatigue resistance of aluminium it wasn't generally advisable to allow it to flex much at all. As far as I can see this frame deliberately allows some motion at the interface between seat tube and top-tube/seat stays. Is that right?
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

It certainly looks like the movement of the iso wotsit has allowed the seat post to flex the seat tube. I guess there is going to be a certain combination of rider weight, ride style and seatpost length that is not compatible over a longish period.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

NetworkMan wrote:I thought that due to the low fatigue resistance of aluminium it wasn't generally advisable to allow it to flex much at all. As far as I can see this frame deliberately allows some motion at the interface between seat tube and top-tube/seat stays. Is that right?

The aluminium Domane original design with an isospeed joint and a flexing seat tube was always a fatigue-failure risk. Trek no longer have an aluminium Domane with such a joint - they're now standard frames with solid welded or brazed joints.

It does make one wonder about other aluminium frames that rely on a lot of flex i' the parts for their "comfort" or "suspension" effects. Cannondale have aluminium-framed Synapse with flexy seat and perhaps chainstays, for example. Do they break after a while?

I have two carbon fibre framed Domane of the least expensive type (400 series). These are still lightweight, very comfortable yet don't waste pedalling energy in BB flex or give steering frights with headtube flex. The isospeed thingy does seem to work with carbon fibre, which presumably is far more resistant to fatigue failure from flex if the fibres are laid-up in an appropriate way - a technique impossible with aluminium flexing as much as the CF frames are made to do.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IME aluminium road bike frames that can be described as 'comfortable' are far more likely to break; no fatigue limit in aluminium, y'see.

I've seen plenty of aluminium frames with 'dropped seat stays' break; another daft design meant to be 'comfortable'....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

That's really weird. It must have cost them a fair bit in guarantee claims - perhaps the marketing guys made the engineers do it I'm sure you are right; carbon fibre is a totally different kettle of fish and that's probably why carbon fibre forks are common and aluminium ones rare.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

It’s plain that most bicycles are not ridden much, even ones aimed at supposed enthusiasts. The warranty claims are then spread over the tiny minority ridden several thousand miles a year for several years.

If you’re the sort who wants something to last a long time in regular use, you need to be pretty selective in what you buy.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

the ISOspeed stuff is like full suspension, most manufacturers won't guarantee that, surprises Trek do, but I guess it helps the marketing to delude the customer that it's a durable bike
pwa

Post by pwa »

I would never trust anything that has aluminium alloy in an application that is meant to flex. It seems like a recipe for disaster. Aluminium for rigid things, fine, and all the flexy things in a material that can take flexing to the degree to be expected.
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

pwa wrote:I would never trust anything that has aluminium alloy in an application that is meant to flex. It seems like a recipe for disaster.

You should watch the winds flexing up and down in turbulent conditions on the next passenger jet you fly on...