NC 500 altnaharra food

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ambodach

Re: NC 500 altnaharra food

Post by ambodach »

Lookrider’s comments about how much good they do and how the local inhabitants should be grateful they inflict themselves on the residents is all so familiar to me. I live in an area overrun with tourists as is the NC500 and those who do not get instant gratification start exactly the same rant about how we should all be grateful to have our lives disrupted and they will certainly not be back since everyone hates them. There must be a template somewhere. Rant over.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

If I owned this place and read some of the posts about being fleeced I might be inclined to ban this party.
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Oldjohnw wrote:If I owned this place and read some of the posts about being fleeced I might be inclined to ban this party.

+1

Also can I be enlightened into the significance of
Several if not most of the managment in restuareants and hotels on the 500 seemed to be from far reaches of the UK and not too mamy seemed local

Is that implying the locals don’t want the work or a realisation the locals can’t afford to work for only 5 months if the year? I suspect the former.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

a) Altnaharra isn't on the NC500 (although it is on LEJOG if you go straight up through the middle rather than via the awful A9)
b) a group of 19 turning up at a small hotel literally in the middle of nowhere - I'd be happy to even get food, never mind a choice! I'd say the hotel is being entirely reasonable in stipulating a set menu. I suspect if there were 19 of you all sitting round trying to choose between half a dozen different options and then waiting for those to be cooked to order, you'd probably all think the same too!
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Paulatic wrote:
Also can I be enlightened into the significance of
Several if not most of the managment in restuareants and hotels on the 500 seemed to be from far reaches of the UK and not too mamy seemed local

Is that implying the locals don’t want the work or a realisation the locals can’t afford to work for only 5 months if the year? I suspect the former.

The quoted sentence refers to the management of the restaurants and hotels not to the workforce, I expect there are plenty of locals and also foreign staff working in these places, but it is likely that a lot of them are owned/managed by people from other parts of the country due to the costs of buying the properties.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I'm impressed with two choices in one respect. After all 19 meals all at the same time won't be easy. To do 19 with several choices would be awkward in a place that may only have limited staff. If 19 were a tenth of the possible and likely customers than the \op would be reasonable I think but if its lmore than half then to expect much choice is optimistic . As for price, based on my experiences of places that even use the phrase al a carte then he is getting off lightly. I think the idea that all on the Nc500 should be grateful for the custom is flawed. To many of the people I have spoken to its a burden.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

And Scotland is not like Wales, there are hardly any other roads in the North if one wants to avoid That Madness
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Lookrider wrote:...Tourism is a buisness that never stops and keeps looking fir new markets that we all share in
I will be back home start of September after the ride and will advise anyone of the journey if need be
Thanks again gents
Safe riding

I think you miss the point of those that might object to this kind of"tourism".

John
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

mattsccm wrote:...To many of the people I have spoken to its a burden.

Correct.

John.
climo

Post by climo »

Seems cheap to me. Think of it as the payment for being in a fabulous area slightly off the NC500 motorhome madness route. I think the nearest shop is Lairg.