Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
flash

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Post by flash »

In my area the Monmouth to Chepstow past Tintern Abbey then over the Severn Bridge is really good. Clevedon sea front (nice cafe and Victorian pier), Weston Sea Front (nice cafe and crap pier)....
Nickeveson

Post by Nickeveson »

For anyone interested in the book it is now for sale on eBay. Item number is 183919255737
Each copy sold will benefit Bloodwise....thanks xx
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Suggested Wimps Jogle part 1 Scotland.Ive always wanted to do Inverness to Fort William so that's on here I've also missed those nasty hills near jog. On Lejog I pretty much picked the general route after discussions with Landsurfer. Cycleruk and KFT refined the whole thing and forum members made helpful suggestions. This time I hope KFT cycleruk and I will be able to include the other Wimps ideas to show their favorite bits and other forum members will help with their ideas. Ideally I would want to avoid retracing our steps. I fancy going down the other side of England but all options including this bit are open to discussion
www.plotaroute.com/route/905079
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
John100

Post by John100 »

Looks good. Agree about not retracing our original route. Always fancied including some of the Scottish islands even if just Arran, but I guess too tricky. I take it you've avoided Loch Lomond side as it's supposed to be pretty hairy. From my point of view 2 weeks would seem more doable and practical for those working. What time of year? Similar to LEJOG? If I'm going to be able to do it need to start planning round family committments etc. Also need to decide whether camping, b&b or a mixture. We were lucky with the weather on LEJOG as far as camping goes.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

John100 wrote:Looks good. Agree about not retracing our original route. Always fancied including some of the Scottish islands even if just Arran, but I guess too tricky. I take it you've avoided Loch Lomond side as it's supposed to be pretty hairy. From my point of view 2 weeks would seem more doable and practical for those working. What time of year? Similar to LEJOG? If I'm going to be able to do it need to start planning round family committments etc. Also need to decide whether camping, b&b or a mixture. We were lucky with the weather on LEJOG as far as camping goes.

It is possible to catch ferries and island hop I would also like to do that but I'm not sure if that would be practical in a 14 day adventure. I seem to remember reading on this forum that lock Lomond was busy but the other side was OK I need to look at that. I would prefer using cheap hotels but I'm unsure if I could afford that time will tell.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

From Dumbarton why head further west when you’re coming back onto R74 anyway?
R7 down through Clydebank and Glasgow beside the Clyde then onto R75 is really very good. No hills until Chatelrhault park that I can remember :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Paulatic wrote:From Dumbarton why head further west when you’re coming back onto R74 anyway?
R7 down through Clydebank and Glasgow beside the Clyde then onto R75 is really very good. No hills until Chatelrhault park that I can remember :)

Here’s Loch Lomond viewtopic.php?t=107968
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Looking at the responses to the 3 week Jogle and being reluctant to effectively stopping some Wimps from taking part may I suggest
For next year do a Wimps tour of Scotland including some of the islands. this could be 7 to 10days depending on the Wimps availability.
The following year we could complete Jogle from the Scottish borders to LE.
Hopefully this will allow all Wimps to take part without interrupting family life to much.
Comments and ideas Please
KFT

Post by KFT »

I quite like the sound of that - certainly a lot more feasible from my point of view with work.
Nickeveson

Post by Nickeveson »

I am deffo up for that...sounds great
John100

Post by John100 »

I agree. Sounds good and more doable. If we had a back up van would be more complicated with ferries etc if the van was to follow us.
flash

Post by flash »

I must admit I was really looking forward to a JOGLE. I wouldn't want to ride borders to LE. I like the challenge of the whole route, plus I was hoping to do the whole route on my Uncle John's bike. We talked about the trip and he wanted me to have his bike before he passed away. It would mean a lot to me. I'd possibly be up for a Scotland plus islands ride but End to End would definitely be my preference.....
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

flash wrote:I must admit I was really looking forward to a JOGLE. I wouldn't want to ride borders to LE. I like the challenge of the whole route, plus I was hoping to do the whole route on my Uncle John's bike. We talked about the trip and he wanted me to have his bike before he passed away. It would mean a lot to me. I'd possibly be up for a Scotland plus islands ride but End to End would definitely be my preference.....

If enough of the Wimps decide Jogle it will happen I'm trying to keep the gang together but nothing is cast in concrete
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

I know it's hard to believe but some things are more important than cycling .
At 72 with failing health ive decided to make the C2C my last Wimps ride and spend my time with my ever understanding wife and family.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Respect Ken ............ pm sent.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.