Facial Recognition by the Authorities

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia
Posts: 11102
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Facial Recognition by the Authorities - update from San Francisko

Postby mercalia » 3 Jul 2019, 9:07pm


User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9437
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Facial Recognition by the Authorities

Postby Cunobelin » 4 Jul 2019, 9:48am

[XAP]Bob wrote:With a 98% false positive rate, and a distinct bias against ethnic minorities (becauseball current facial recognition tech currently has such a bias)...


It doesn’t help get he bad guys... and it won’t do so any time soon.



Not sure that "bias" is the right word.

Firstly there is a limitation in technology, in that features "stand out more" in some ethnic groups. For instance, eyebrows on a white face are higher contrast than on a West Indian or African face. Not a bias, simply a problem with the technology

User avatar
Pastychomper
Posts: 279
Joined: 14 Nov 2017, 11:14am
Location: Caithness

Re: Facial Recognition by the Authorities

Postby Pastychomper » 4 Jul 2019, 4:33pm

Cunobelin wrote:Not sure that "bias" is the right word.

Firstly there is a limitation in technology, in that features "stand out more" in some ethnic groups. For instance, eyebrows on a white face are higher contrast than on a West Indian or African face. Not a bias, simply a problem with the technology


"Bias" has some unfortunate connotations, but it is the word used in scientific circles for exactly the kind of limitation described. If an analytical instrument tends to read 'high' or 'low' in certain situations it's biased in those situations. In that context, bias doesn't mean the instrument or its user is doing it deliberately, or that they dislike anyone or anything. It's purely a tendency to misread in a certain direction. Those using the instrument should at be aware of the bias, and preferably do something to compensate.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9437
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Facial Recognition by the Authorities

Postby Cunobelin » 4 Jul 2019, 10:32pm

Pastychomper wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Not sure that "bias" is the right word.

Firstly there is a limitation in technology, in that features "stand out more" in some ethnic groups. For instance, eyebrows on a white face are higher contrast than on a West Indian or African face. Not a bias, simply a problem with the technology


"Bias" has some unfortunate connotations, but it is the word used in scientific circles for exactly the kind of limitation described. If an analytical instrument tends to read 'high' or 'low' in certain situations it's biased in those situations. In that context, bias doesn't mean the instrument or its user is doing it deliberately, or that they dislike anyone or anything. It's purely a tendency to misread in a certain direction. Those using the instrument should at be aware of the bias, and preferably do something to compensate.


I agree that is why I used the term "right word" .. there could be some something better

mercalia
Posts: 11102
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Facial Recognition by the Authorities

Postby mercalia » 5 Jul 2019, 8:40am

what would happen if you wore a balaclava in the testing zone? what about a full burqua? descrimination?

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 46102
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Facial Recognition by the Authorities

Postby Mick F » 5 Jul 2019, 2:07pm

I can see that comedy false noses and moustache sales will go through the roof! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
RickH
Posts: 4459
Joined: 5 Mar 2012, 6:39pm
Location: Horwich, Lancs.

Re: Facial Recognition by the Authorities

Postby RickH » 5 Jul 2019, 9:46pm

The "bias" seems to be in the imbalance in the data that the software was "learning" from - using mostly white, male samples.

"About 130 million US adults are already in face recognition databases," [Timnit Gebru] told the AI for Good Summit in Geneva in May. "But the original datasets are mostly white and male, so biased against darker skin types - there are huge error rates by skin type and gender." (link)

mercalia
Posts: 11102
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Facial Recognition by the Authorities

Postby mercalia » 30 Jul 2019, 10:08am

an interesting article that explains how it works

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... GTUK_email

mercalia
Posts: 11102
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Facial Recognition by the Authorities

Postby mercalia » 14 Aug 2019, 12:13am

It seems that KingsX London & private environs has a facial recognition system

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49333352

This is what some of the cameras look like

Avigilon H4 camera.JPG
Avigilon H4 camera


Well I think I will be wearing my wide brimmed hat and sunglasses when I am that a ways

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 5514
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Facial Recognition by the Authorities

Postby Sweep » 16 Aug 2019, 7:38am

Apologies if also asked.
I assume that it's not illegal to wear a mask/obscure your face in public?
(If so would seem to discriminate against atheists and other folk not of certain religious persuasions)
Also, if challenged by some officious bod in that area I assume they have no authority to make you remove it?
I imagine that normal security in that area is handled by private contractors.
When abike in london not in the heights of summer I often wear or carry a buff.
Sweep

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6722
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Facial Recognition by the Authorities

Postby Bonefishblues » 16 Aug 2019, 8:09am

Stop and search is now back in vogue so someone actively seeking to obscure their face may well be a target.

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 5514
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Facial Recognition by the Authorities

Postby Sweep » 16 Aug 2019, 8:17am

I would have no great issue being searched by a proper policeperson if done respectfully.
But I assume that private security bods have no powers to make me do anything except possibly to leave?
And could hardly stop me returning.
Sweep

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6722
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Facial Recognition by the Authorities

Postby Bonefishblues » 16 Aug 2019, 10:21am

I'm guessing not, but I bet they have a hotline to proper plod!

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 5514
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Facial Recognition by the Authorities

Postby Sweep » 16 Aug 2019, 10:59am

Bonefishblues wrote:I'm guessing not, but I bet they have a hotline to proper plod!

Quite possibly.
They are seriously overstretched in london though and might not be overly keen to hop to it for the shopping mall operatives.
Sweep

mercalia
Posts: 11102
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Facial Recognition by the Authorities

Postby mercalia » 16 Aug 2019, 2:06pm

anyone know where you can get a rubber Boris face mask?

it seems that there is going to be an formal investigation whats going on at KingsX.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49357759