TV personality driving ban reduction

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
james01

TV personality driving ban reduction

Post by james01 »

skyhawk

Re: TV personality driving ban reduction

Post by skyhawk »

I haven't read it all... but

I thought the police offered an alternative, training or one day courses
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Good angle, not me, it's the other people who will suffer...
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Coogan has been given a shorter ban so that he can make a TV show in which he is filmed driving, and presumably performing for the camera, not just concentrating on the more important task of not endangering others.
We have just been informed (again) that using a hands free phone is as distracting as being mildly drunk.
I would have thought that the concentration demanded to produce an amusing TV performance is at least as distracting as using a phone.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

What are "average speed limits"?
Coogan admitted his driving record was not good, but said he had now taken steps to change his behaviour: “I’m trying to slow down and I try to observe the average speed limits that have come in.

I thought a speed limit was a limit not to be exceeded, not that e.g. in a 30 limit you can do 40 as long as your average is 30 or lower. Is he talking about average speed cameras? - which to me is just another type of speed camera; so a 70 mph speed limit road with average speed cameras still means legally you must never go above 70 mph.

Or have I missed some new type of speed limit?

Ian
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

skyhawk wrote:I haven't read it all... but

I thought the police offered an alternative, training or one day courses

He’s already done those.
I do have some sympathy in this case regarding the reduction of the ban as others livelihood would be put at risk.
And to answer mike the filming is quite heavily controlled.
NUKe

Post by skyhawk »

Ok then do the filming then ban him

BUT I have broken the speed limit, who has not, without thinking, no excuse, and like him not 70 in a 30, just.... "just"... over

At 60 (age) I remember when doing 30 in my Mk 2 cortina FELT like 30, these days you can be doing 50 and it feels slow, there are times I have passed a police van parked and worried "was I"
Last edited by skyhawk on 14 Aug 2019, 11:02am, edited 1 time in total.
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cases like this make me think the French VSP system has advantages. Sounds like for some petrol head like Coogan, making him drive around in a VSP for 6 months would be a far better punishment than a fine he can afford without even noticing. But make him drive a VSP, to to his to be broadcast TV series using a VSP would be a good (and very public) punishment.

Ian
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

skyhawk wrote:Ok then do the filming then ban him

Seems fair!

-----------------------
I'm a big fan of Coogan (his work and his ... persona, I guess), but this is all wrong. Just because he's a celeb, there's no need to cut off his ghoulies, but the courts should take the opportunity to set a good example of not using absurd leniency.
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Oh I live in Llandysul Waless and have complained 'till I am blue in the face that in our 20mph limit lowlifes on Friday/saturday do 50+, and weekdays 30 is the norm

Police..........

20mph limits are self enforcing we do not police them
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote:Cases like this make me think the French VSP system has advantages. Sounds like for some petrol head like Coogan, making him drive around in a VSP for 6 months would be a far better punishment than a fine he can afford without even noticing. But make him drive a VSP, to to his to be broadcast TV series using a VSP would be a good (and very public) punishment.

Ian

The programme wouldn't be made until later then.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

NUKe wrote:And to answer mike the filming is quite heavily controlled.

How does that work?
Is the whole scene set up? All the public cleared from the road on which the filming is being done?
Or is he not controlling the vehicle?
I often see on-screen pieces in which the actor or presenter is ostensibly driving on open public roads. These do look very convincing. I really doubt that they are faked.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Bonefishblues wrote:Good angle, not me, it's the other people who will suffer...
Maybe the production company should think twice about using an actor with such a poor driving record in a programme involving lots of driving? Alan Partridge using public transport sounds more entertaining to me :roll:
"42"
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

squeaker wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Good angle, not me, it's the other people who will suffer...
Maybe the production company should think twice about using an actor with such a poor driving record in a programme involving lots of driving? Alan Partridge using public transport sounds more entertaining to me :roll:

He is the production company :lol:
cotswolds

Post by cotswolds »

Mike Sales wrote:I often see on-screen pieces in which the actor or presenter is ostensibly driving on open public roads. These do look very convincing. I really doubt that they are faked.

They're often done with the car being towed on a low trailer for the dialogue bits, intercut with shots of the car actually being driven where you can't see them actually talking. Very easy to do, cheap and perfectly safe.