Experiences of using breathing masks?

goddardsharon482

Experiences of using breathing masks?

Post by goddardsharon482 »

In the last few years I have developed asthma, and when cycling I find this is aggravated by pollen, and possibly pollution.
So I've tried a couple of different masks:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

They definitely reduce the asthma symptoms (discomfort in my lungs and throat), however in both I struggled to be able to breathe deeply enough. I realise this sounds like an asthma symptom, but I am sure it was purely about getting enough air in considering the exercise I am doing (as it doesn't happen without the mask). The first mask was also very hot and left a very obvious mark when I took it off.

Has anyone else got any experiences of using breathing masks that could help me find a better solution?
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Experiences of using breathing masks?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
You could try some industrial throwaway masks, they come with different filter bodys (throwaway type not separate cartridge, all one material type).
Or even cartridge type, make you look and sound like Darth Vader though :P
The ones with valves make more sense.
Cost? I don't quite know how they will compare but throwaway types are a few pounds.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
LinusR

Re: Experiences of using breathing masks?

Post by LinusR »

I suffer asthma. I tried a mask many years ago and I found it restricted breathing and felt uncomfortable. I find I just need to take it a bit easy if pollen triggers a wheeze and ride slower! I'm usually affected for about four weeks a year.