Converting a Muddy Fox

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
whoof

Re: Converting a Muddy Fox

Post by whoof »

Derekn wrote:
ElaineB wrote:Definitely ‘silver’ mudguards, that MF bike will look fabulous and ride like a ‘silver bullet’! Don’t forget to show us all the ‘finished product’ Derek.

Thanks Elaine :D :D

I'm not sure how tall you are but at £200 this could work out a whole lot cheaper than adding parts to the bike you have.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=132028
Derekn

Post by Derekn »

HobbesOnTour wrote:
Derekn wrote:. I will probably not use a front carrier.

I know it's early days, but I wouldn't be discounting a rack at the front just yet.
Obviously, if you don't need it, you don't need it, but for travelling on decent surfaces I prefer the weight distributed front and rear. My bike, (also a MTB convert) handles better. Off road, it's a different matter.

Also, on longer tours, 4 panniers as opposed to 2 gives me more options for having things handy (without having to rummage through everything) during the day. For example, my front panniers carry my stove, cooking gear & food. It means that even on the wettest day I can stop and make something warm without having to worry about getting my clothes or sleeping gear wet.

I can only agree with you now you mentioned the reasons :-)
Derekn

Post by Derekn »

whoof wrote:
Derekn wrote:
ElaineB wrote:Definitely ‘silver’ mudguards, that MF bike will look fabulous and ride like a ‘silver bullet’! Don’t forget to show us all the ‘finished product’ Derek.

Thanks Elaine :D :D

I'm not sure how tall you are but at £200 this could work out a whole lot cheaper than adding parts to the bike you have.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=132028

Thanks all the same "whoof" but I'd have to use wooden blocks on the pedals ;-)
Also my bike has sentimental value to me :-)
Derekn

Post by Derekn »

slowster wrote:Spa are currently selling Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 26" x 50mm tyres for only £20 each. The Marathon Supreme is Schwalbe's fast road touring tyre, but would still be robust enough for riding on gravel tracks and bridleways. Order 2 of them and £10 worth of other items* and you will get free postage.

* For example spare inner tubes - your Muddy Fox wheels take presta valve inner tubes. Hopefully the Decathlon wheel will also take presta (Decathlon doesn't say on the website, so you will just have to wait until it arrives). You don't want to be carrying extra spare inner tubes on tour because one of your wheels is presta and the other schraeder, so if the Decathlon wheel turns out to be schraeder, buy a valve hole reducer.

I've also just noticed that your current wheels have solid axles. The Decathlon wheel needs to be used with a quick release skewer, which the website says is not included. If it does indeed not come with a skewer, this one is only £4.99 and a bargain (Shimano enclosed cam quick release skewers are the only ones worth getting).

The advert for the Decathlon wheel is misleading, to my advantage :D The wheel arrived and it does INCLUDE the quick release skewer :D

As for the rim that the dynamo hub is set into, it is not particularly good and certainly doesn't look anything like the existing Muddy Fox rim. I have therefore decided to have the dynamo removed from the new wheel and installed in my MF rim. The MF rim is in very good condition and will no doubt last as long as I want it too :D
whoof

Post by whoof »

Derekn wrote:
slowster wrote:Spa are currently selling Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 26" x 50mm tyres for only £20 each. The Marathon Supreme is Schwalbe's fast road touring tyre, but would still be robust enough for riding on gravel tracks and bridleways. Order 2 of them and £10 worth of other items* and you will get free postage.

* For example spare inner tubes - your Muddy Fox wheels take presta valve inner tubes. Hopefully the Decathlon wheel will also take presta (Decathlon doesn't say on the website, so you will just have to wait until it arrives). You don't want to be carrying extra spare inner tubes on tour because one of your wheels is presta and the other schraeder, so if the Decathlon wheel turns out to be schraeder, buy a valve hole reducer.

I've also just noticed that your current wheels have solid axles. The Decathlon wheel needs to be used with a quick release skewer, which the website says is not included. If it does indeed not come with a skewer, this one is only £4.99 and a bargain (Shimano enclosed cam quick release skewers are the only ones worth getting).

The advert for the Decathlon wheel is misleading, to my advantage :D The wheel arrived and it does INCLUDE the quick release skewer :D

As for the rim that the dynamo hub is set into, it is not particularly good and certainly doesn't look anything like the existing Muddy Fox rim. I have therefore decided to have the dynamo removed from the new wheel and installed in my MF rim. The MF rim is in very good condition and will no doubt last as long as I want it too :D

I've got one of these wheels in my tourer. The rim isn't very high quality but has seen a year of use. I don't use it very often but it did do a two week tour this summer carrying four panniers, a bar bag and a tent. It remained true and no great signs of sidewall wear. Wouldn't it make sense to keep the orignal rim on and then change over the hub when the rim wears out?
slowster

Post by slowster »

Derekn wrote:As for the rim that the dynamo hub is set into, it is not particularly good and certainly doesn't look anything like the existing Muddy Fox rim. I have therefore decided to have the dynamo removed from the new wheel and installed in my MF rim. The MF rim is in very good condition and will no doubt last as long as I want it too :D

Given whoof's experience of using the wheel for loaded touring, I would not spend money now on swapping the rims over. Assuming you would have to pay someone else to do this for you, and that you would probably also have to pay for new spokes (unless you were lucky and the ERD [effective rim diameters] of the two rims were within 1mm or 2mm of each other), you will end up spending more money than a wheel off the shelf would have cost from Taylor Wheels. Best to simply fit the wheel as is (apart maybe from stress relieving, which you should be able to do yourself) and get some use out of it. If after a few months or after heavy use it's showing signs of problems, then think about replacing the rim. For now, just get your money's worth from it.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I thought about converting my 1986 Muddy Fox Explorer. While I ummed & ahhed over what I might do with it a "wanted" came up for a frame so I decided to split it & sell the frame (& recycle usable components onto other bikes).

This is the account of the resulting conversion. He seemed pleased with his build & I've been more than happy with the Kona Sutra Ltd that I ended up getting as a replacement.

This was my Muddy Fox
I think the frame, forks & seatpost were the only original parts

This is what the frame became

And, for completeness, this is what I ended up riding
FB_IMG_1565821818860.jpg
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Derekn

Post by Derekn »

I hear what you are saying whoof and slowster and would agree with you.
However, when I tried the rim on the bike it looked really odd ........ it is so very different to the Muddy Fox rim.
Also the Shimano wheel has a rim width slightly smaller than the original MF rim.
Derekn

Post by Derekn »

RickH wrote:I thought about converting my 1986 Muddy Fox Explorer. < SNIP >

It's a nice bike RickH ....... your old MF and your new bike :-) Interesting that Adam77 has reduced the number of gears considerably....... I wonder why?
Derekn

Post by Derekn »

I would like some advice please :D

Please can someone tell me how to remove the plastic/rubber seal from the rear wheel. I seem to remember "as a kid back in the day" long before Muddy Fox, I made something that went through the hub and I tapped out the seal with a hammer!! :?
Attachments
20190816_152738.jpg
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

my advice is "don't bother". You can clean everything you need to without disturbing it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Derekn

Post by Derekn »

Today I collected my MF wheel with the new Shimano dynamo hub installed .......... well pleased with the result :D
Attachments
20190816_152641.jpg
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

RickH wrote:I thought about converting my 1986 Muddy Fox Explorer. < SNIP >

That's a fine looking conversion :)
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Derekn wrote:Today I collected my MF wheel with the new Shimano dynamo hub installed .......... well pleased with the result :D

I'd be interested in knowing how you find the marathon big apple tyres :)
Derekn

Post by Derekn »

Brucey wrote:my advice is "don't bother". You can clean everything you need to without disturbing it.

cheers

Thanks for that Bruce but I would still like to know how they are removed.