Do E-bike riders get more exercise than regular cyclists ?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
kwackers

Re: E-bike riders get nore exercise than regular cyclist's

Post by kwackers »

Certainly true of me.

I either use my normal bike to the station and back (4 miles / 20 mins a day) or use my ebike for the entire journey (42 miles / 2 hours a day).

If I didn't have the ebike I would only very rarely do the entire trip.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

More mileage, but less exercise:

"Physical activity levels, measured in Metabolic Equivalent Task minutes per week (MET min/wk), were similar among e-bikers and cyclists (4463 vs. 4085). E-bikers reported significantly longer trip distances for both e-bike (9.4 km) and bicycle trips (8.4 km) compared to cyclists for bicycle trips (4.8 km), as well as longer daily travel distances for e-bike than cyclists for bicycle (8.0 vs. 5.3 km per person, per day, respectively). Travel-related activities of e-bikers who switched from cycling decreased by around 200 MET min/wk., while those switching from private motorized vehicle and public transport gained around 550 and 800 MET min/wk. respectively."
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
PH

Post by PH »

I'd prefer the title to say "can get more" I don't think many would argue with that. There are those who would be happy not to pedal at all, look at the popularity of powered scooters, nothing wrong with that, as a transport option it's still better than any of the other powered alternatives. Then there are those who are out every day and just need a tiny bit of help getting up the steepest hill, they are undoubtedly getting more exercise than the majority of us. Most users will be somewhere between those, it's all good.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

PH wrote:I'd prefer the title to say "can get more" I don't think many would argue with that. There are those who would be happy not to pedal at all, look at the popularity of powered scooters, nothing wrong with that, as a transport option it's still better than any of the other powered alternatives. Then there are those who are out every day and just need a tiny bit of help getting up the steepest hill, they are undoubtedly getting more exercise than the majority of us. Most users will be somewhere between those, it's all good.

I feel this point - that many e-cyclists would not be cyclists at all without an e-bike - is somewhat important. The ladywife is an example. We can go out together because her e-bike equalises us. In addition, I get more exercise as I'm often a-grovel on her back wheel up a hill. Some of our rides are harder than the club rides I used to go on when back in NW England last year!

As various posts in this forum have indicated, many will never ride an e-bike; others (including me) prefer the entirely self-powered variety.

Did the advent of the car stop cycling? Well, yes, for thousands. But others remained pushing the pedals. Mind, we cyclists all have a touch of the masochist. Oh yes we do! Well, I do.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cugel you should get a tandem [without an electric motor] :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
stodd

Post by stodd »

Electric tandem allows my wife and I to go at the same speed (approximately) as each other, not significantly faster than we went before adding the motor, but further (still not very far by serious cyclist standards).
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

stodd wrote:Electric tandem allows my wife and I to go at the same speed (approximately) as each other.

But you must go at the same speed (if you're on the same tandem) :lol:
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Cugel you should get a tandem [without an electric motor] :wink:

Ha ha - who would get on a tandem with moi? No one sensible. The ladywife is very sensible indeed.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
hemo

Post by hemo »

I personally get more exercise by e biking, I do 100% of all my commuting and errand running to the shops etc. Now I have a CF for towing for one of my hobbies locally. The exercise is more cardio then weight loss and esp helps my knees, main reason I converted my bikes was due to my asthma. I am able to go on 100 mile rides where as on my non ebike I struggle terribly and have to all but get off and walk up inclines/hills.

The ebike allows you to use low assist tp work harder, I use lower assist for extra range but do use higher assist just to get up the inclines
horizon

Post by horizon »

kwackers wrote:I either use my normal bike to the station and back (4 miles / 20 mins a day) or use my ebike for the entire journey (42 miles / 2 hours a day).

That 42 miles has to be motorised really simply because of the time and energy that is required for work. There was a thread on here recently quoting similar distances and I came down on the side of using a small car. So while and ebike is to be marvelled at, train or car are justified. For me the argument is about when an unpowered bike could do it (e.g your ride to the station).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

42 miles / 2 hours a day

I assume that must be deregulated in some way!!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

horizon wrote:
kwackers wrote:I either use my normal bike to the station and back (4 miles / 20 mins a day) or use my ebike for the entire journey (42 miles / 2 hours a day).

That 42 miles has to be motorised really simply because of the time and energy that is required for work. There was a thread on here recently quoting similar distances and I came down on the side of using a small car. So while and ebike is to be marvelled at, train or car are justified. For me the argument is about when an unpowered bike could do it (e.g your ride to the station).

A powered or unpowered bike is an irrelevance, it is the rider that is the enabling factor
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

horizon wrote:That 42 miles has to be motorised really simply because of the time and energy that is required for work. There was a thread on here recently quoting similar distances and I came down on the side of using a small car. So while and ebike is to be marvelled at, train or car are justified. For me the argument is about when an unpowered bike could do it (e.g your ride to the station).

"E-bike riders get more exercise than regular cyclist's"

No ebike means no long rides to work.
E-bike means 2 hours of constant moderate-hard pedalling.

I *could* do it on an unpowered bike (and have) but I'm not going to do it regularly.

You seem to completely ignore the ability of e-bikes to enable cycling when it would otherwise be difficult or impractical and turn it into an argument about whether an e-bike is a simple replacement for an ordinary bike.

The study seems to suggest e-bikes enable cycle use not replace it and that's my experience.
Audax67

Re: E-bike riders get nore exercise than regular cyclists

Post by Audax67 »

Ehh dear. More km ridden = more exercise? Horse feathers, when a motor is doing 30-70% of it. Our club prez got an eBike last year and now keeps nattering on about doing this col and that col and t'other col. Tell him "aye, you and your motor" and he gets all hissy and sniffy.
Have we got time for another cuppa?