** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Debs

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Debs »

661-Pete wrote:Now my latest dilemma is this:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -50p-coins
What to do if these wretched coins actually come into being and I get one in my change?

My first inclination would be to refuse to accept it, claiming that "it's not Legal Tender" or something. If that doesn't work, I'd be minded to deface it in some way. Any suggestions?

I would have thought that the propaganda exercise of promoting a political right wing agenda stamped on Royal Mint coinage intended for UK distribution is totally unconstitutional.

Has the Queen given her full consent in support of Royal Patronage, using official UK legal tender coinage, the promotion of this unconstitutional Tory Junta Brexit government?

I doubt it somehow :roll:
Last edited by Debs on 11 Aug 2019, 2:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Debs wrote:
What to do if these wretched coins actually come into being and I get one in my change?

My first inclination would be to refuse to accept it, claiming that "it's not Legal Tender" or something. If that doesn't work, I'd be minded to deface it in some way. Any suggestions?

I would have thought that the propaganda exercise of promoting a political right wing agenda stamped on Royal Mint coinage intended for UK distribution is totally unconstitutional.

Has the Queen given her full consent in support of Royal Patronage, using official UK legal tender coinage, the promotion of this unconstitutional Tory Junta Brexit government?

Report I read highlights one rather big problem with the plan
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/11/sajid-javids-plan-to-flood-tills-with-brexit-50p-coins wrote:one possible snag could be that the coin would have to be signed off by a meeting of the Queen’s privy council of ministers, which is not due to meet again until October

Ian
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Debs wrote:

Whilst I have no time whatever for the bunch of chancers currently in power I would be interested to know in what way the government is unconstitutional.
John
Debs

Post by Debs »

Oldjohnw wrote:Whilst I have no time whatever for the bunch of chancers currently in power I would be interested to know in what way the government is unconstitutional.

Ask me that again in a couple of years from now when your trousers are pulled down under the wight of [ grossly devalued ] loose change that is all recently minted coinage with the head of King Boris :|
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Debs wrote:

Whilst I have no time whatever for the bunch of chancers currently in power I would be interested to know in what way the government is unconstitutional.

I thought it was meant to be Parliament that was sovereign and had supremacy. So, over the last couple of years, when people have to go through the courts to ensure that supremacy it seems to be that the Government were intending to break some aspects of the constitution. Similarly, now we have a Government trying to find ways to bypass the will of Parliament. Is that "constitutional"?

I appreciate that intent or trying to work out ways to bypass Parliamentary Sovereignty/Supremacy does not actually become unconstitutional until that actually carry out those plans but to me they are running pretty close to the line and given the impact of a largely irreversible decision, I'd maybe argue that intent to do something can be considered as having crossed that line.

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I was reading probably in the Guardian that the Queen thinks the current lot of politicians are a load of <expletive deleted>. No one of any quality and she should know she has had to see them come and go at Buck Palace.
Capture.PNG
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well - just in case people have forgotten about Porage (I wish!) - he does a damn good job of bagging the front page spot once more - here.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... pac-brexit
Summed up like this:
Nigel Farage has derided the Duke and Duchess of Sussex for their “irrelevant” social justice and environmental campaigns while abusing Prince Charles and describing the late Queen Mother as an “overweight, chain-smoking gin drinker”, in an incendiary speech to an Australian rightwing political conference.

Don't you just love his deriding of social justice and environmental campaigns? And he got one thing wrong about the Queen Mother: I don't speak from personal knowledge, but I'm pretty sure she wasn't a 'chain smoker'. From what I've unearthed, she smoked only three or four fags a day and desperately tried to persuade her husband to kick the habit. Her husband, who was a chain-smoker, who became King George VI, and who died of smoking-related illness at 56...

Perhaps Farage is also a fat-shamer: well he can fat-shame me all he likes, I'm a bit overweight.... But why he should shame someone who's been dead these 17 years....?!

Later on, we get this gem:
"...whether Prince Harry has two kids is irrelevant given there are now 2.6 billion Chinese and Indians on this Earth.”

Surely Farage should re-join the UKippers pronto, he'd be welcomed there with open arms for stuff like that! After all, his flouncing out of the party was a pure act of hypocrisy... :evil:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Farage is an ignorant idiot. He said he hopes William would live for ever so that Harry would never be king, completely missing the little but rather well known fact that William has children who are much further up the queue than Harry.

Total rabble rousing clown.
John
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Oldjohnw wrote:Farage is an ignorant idiot. He said he hopes William would live for ever so that Harry would never be king, completely missing the little but rather well known fact that William has children who are much further up the queue than Harry.

Total rabble rousing clown.

Rabble rousing klowns are now a very popular brand and many are adopting the style with great enthusiasm! Who can argue with "the market" which now includes politician of various flavours and weights. Humans once bought trilby hats in droves and thought themselves stylish. Why not have a Fandangoklown in your head rather than on it, flaunting it like a popinjay down at the local Weatherspoons?

Mind, I personally can't bring myself to believe in this invisible hand that auto-directs we consumers of even politicians to pick the most rational choice suiting our desires and purposes. For a start, advertmen can & do poke at our brains to make the synapses select this rather than that. Also, humans have never been rational about anything, as far as I can make out.

A cartoon comes to mind:

Vote Fandangoklown for a laugh injection
Vote Fandangoklown for a laugh injection

How did we all come to inhabit a Black Mirror episode?

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:Farage is an ignorant idiot.....

........Total rabble rousing clown.

I'd say more a rable rousing weasel who clowns listen to and take to heart his weasel-like and destructive words.
How it got to people believing such as he beggars belief... ......but wait a minute Germany 1934 springs to mind :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

It may be significant that in Farage's hatchet job on the Royals (except Liz of course, he thinks she's luverly...) he fails to make any mention of Prince Andrew.

Does that mean he thinks old Yorkie's alleged peccadilloes are "quite all right then, he's one of us...."?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/boris-johnson-brexit-peoples-pmqs-facebook-live-lies-eu-withdrawal-agreement-a9057531.html wrote:At Boris Johnson’s first ever ‘People’s PMQs’, it took the prime minister less than 10 seconds to start lying

A full minute-long countdown introduced Boris Johnson’s first-ever “People’s PMQs”, streamed live on Facebook. From the start of the actual event proper, it took the prime minister less than 10 seconds to start lying.

Ian
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

At Boris Johnson’s first ever ‘People’s PMQs’, it took the prime minister less than 10 seconds to start lying
I hope they've fireproofed the front bench on the government side, in the House of Commons... :twisted:
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Attachments
646516BF-9A22-4635-BB09-3DF10C3B6779.png
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:[image]
From the same source:
A poll showed the vote would shift in favour of Remain in a second referendum on EU membership.
The poll asked about voting intention in another referendum on EU membership and found that 55% would vote Remain, and only 45% would vote Leave.
The poll also interestingly showed that 2% of Brexit Party voters would back Remain.
Are you now one of the 2%? :lol: