Frame sizing opinions - odd Bravura/Nidderdale eBay frames?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Salade_Lyonnaise

Frame sizing opinions - odd Bravura/Nidderdale eBay frames?

Post by Salade_Lyonnaise »

Hello all,

On my quest to build a new tourer/everything bike, I came across these frames on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333036000459

The seller states: 51cm Seat-tube / 55.5 (57cm effective) top-tube. Suitable for 5ft10 - 6ft2 (I'm 5'11", 34 leg).

Now, I tried to compare with Spa Steel Tourer's comparison page. I would be 36" pedal to saddle, so it looks like I'm a 54cm seatpost minimum, 57 ideal. But the geometry may be quite different: https://www.spacycles.co.uk/info/pedaltosaddle.php

So with my measurements of 5'11" / 34" leg (36" pedal to saddle), does a 51cm seat-tube sound crazy? Is this some kind of low super compact frame? It looks like the seatpost in the stock bare frame photo is at my height, approx 18cm of seatpost (+ 170 cranks + saddle = roughly 36"/92cm pedal to saddle). But I would need 18cm of stem height (to centre of bars) for level bars.

Would this be a crazy, unstable ride, or a great hop on/off tourer for a 34" (36 pedal to saddle) inside leg? Your opinions are much appreciated. :)
Last edited by Salade_Lyonnaise on 28 Jul 2019, 10:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
531colin

Re: Frame sizing opinions - odd eBay frames?

Post by 531colin »

These have been up before. Try a search....sometimes Google works better than the forums own search facility, just put CUK in the search parameters.
Look at the picture, the cables are on top of the top tube, the F. mech is top pull, the R. mech cable runs down the seatstay, the forks have a disc mount, the frame doesn't. The frame and forks may be made to go together, and it may be a tourer.
rotavator

Re: Frame sizing opinions - odd eBay frames?

Post by rotavator »

My Van Nicholas Yukon fits me perfectly and its effective top tube and actual seat tube are both 575 mm and I am 6ft tall and have 32" inside leg. In comparison to the VNY the advertised bike seems to have much more sloping top tube, like MTBs, so you will have a lot of exposed seatpost I guess, but I am not an expert!
willp01908

Re: Frame sizing opinions - odd Bravura/Nidderdale eBay frames?

Post by willp01908 »

My tourer is built up on one of these frames - I find it very comfortable. As you can see the top tube slopes down quite a bit leaving a long section of exposed seatpost. I`m 6`1" but only have a 32" inside leg. Call me stumpy... The low standover height is a bonus. The forks that came with mine had no disk mount, I swapped it out for a pair with lowrider bosses in any case.
Attachments
20190729_160115.jpg
Salade_Lyonnaise

willp01908 wrote:My tourer is built up on one of these frames - I find it very comfortable.

Ah that's great to see! Thanks for that Will. They do build up to a very nifty looking bike.

I have overly-long legs for my height, so you're definitely not stumpy :lol: . I do wonder if it may be a stretch for 34 inside leg though, but the effective top tube seems about right.

When you next get a chance, do you mind measuring how tall your steerer tube is from the top of the headtube (including the headset). I'm thinking of using an adapter for a threaded headset, and am wondering how tall a quill stem I would need.

I'm assuming your pedal to saddle length is about 34"? Thanks for showing
willp01908

Post by willp01908 »

The steerer length inc. headset is 100mm, giving me a level saddle/bars - bars maybe a shade lower. The pedal / saddle length a shade over 35".
Somebody has mentioned the fact that all the cables route along the top tube and that a top pull F. derailleur is needed - you`ll probably need a top swing one too as the bottle cage mounts are very low on the seat tube.
Hope that helps
Salade_Lyonnaise

willp01908 wrote:The steerer length inc. headset is 100mm,

That's a great help, thanks willp. I'm planning on a 1x10 drivetrain, so if all works out, hopefully a front mech won't be needed.

And one more thing if you don't mind - what max tyre size seems possible with mudguards? Thanks for the help.
willp01908

Post by willp01908 »

Couldn`t really say but here`s a couple of images of the relevant area. Like I said the forks are different from those sold with the frame so YMMV.
I could maybe get a slightly bigger tyre in there - there is a bit more adjustment on the clip and a different brand of MGs might take up less space in this area. There`s loads of space down by the bottom bracket - I`ve got a spacer in to get the MG a bit closer to the tyre
Fitted tyres are Marathon Plus 700 x 35
Attachments
20190801_151734.jpg
20190801_151539.jpg
Salade_Lyonnaise

That's a great help, thank you. The frame's definitely got potential. Cheers
Salade_Lyonnaise

willp01908 wrote:I could maybe get a slightly bigger tyre in there - there is a bit more adjustment...

Hi again Willp,

When you get a moment, do you mind measuring the head-tube length (frame only, not including the headset), and are the cable guides on the top-tube 'stopped' so bare cable has to run the length between, or are they open so cable housing could fit through if wanted? Cheers
Salade_Lyonnaise

Salade_Lyonnaise wrote:
willp01908 wrote:I could maybe get a slightly bigger tyre in there - there is a bit more adjustment...

Hi again Willp,

When you get a moment, do you mind measuring the seattube floor to top, and the headtube floor to top? So I can calculate the frame slant (height difference bewteen headtube and seattube)?

And are the cable guides on the top-tube 'stopped' so bare cable has to run the length between, or are they open so cable housing could fit through if wanted? Cheers
tollo

Post by tollo »

Salade_Lyonnaise wrote:
Salade_Lyonnaise wrote:

Hi again Willp,

When you get a moment, do you mind measuring the seattube floor to top, and the headtube floor to top? So I can calculate the frame slant (height difference bewteen headtube and seattube)?

And are the cable guides on the top-tube 'stopped' so bare cable has to run the length between, or are they open so cable housing could fit through if wanted? Cheers

Hello

I also have bike build with this frame. Seattube floor to top is 77cm and headtube floor to top is 86cm. Bike has 32mm tires.
I believe the cable guides are 'stopped'.
Salade_Lyonnaise

tollo wrote:Hello

I also have bike build with this frame. Seattube floor to top is 77cm and headtube floor to top is 86cm. Bike has 32mm tires.

Great thanks tollo! What height & inside leg are you? I'm still pondering whether the size (51cm) will be too small for me (5ft11 34 inside leg). Thanks again.
tollo

Post by tollo »

Salade_Lyonnaise wrote:
tollo wrote:Hello

Great thanks tollo! What height & inside leg are you? I'm still pondering whether the size (51cm) will be too small for me (5ft11 34 inside leg). Thanks again.

My height is 176cm and inside leg is approximetly 83cm. My saddle height is 73cm from center of the bb to the top of the saddle.
Here is the picture of the bike, handlebars are level with the seat:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/196ettQ3ckkePLW1vtRNfq9QOrKRYSmLr/view?usp=sharing
willp01908

Post by willp01908 »

Hi Salade
Sorry - missed your post there, but Tollo has it covered for you.
As he said the 3 cables on the top tube are stopped - just short lengths of outer to get the cable around the bends. In addition there are a pair of stops on the drive side seatstay leaving a bare cable run for the R. derailleur and a a single stop on the seat tube and a single stop for the (top pull) F. derailleur on the seat tube.
Attachments
20190817_081848.jpg
20190817_081903.jpg
20190817_081830.jpg