4'8" kids on 29" wheeled MTBs

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Freddie

4'8" kids on 29" wheeled MTBs

Post by Freddie »

I know 29ers are fashionable now, but to see ten and eleven year old children riding around on bikes with wheels so big, has something of the comical to it, especially when attached to the tiny (stunt) frames they ride with the saddle down round the knees.

Just thought I'd mention it as most seem to be riding 29er bikes now. I wonder if they're a bit unwieldy for such small kids...

edit: dunno why I posted it here, but there you go.
Freddie

Re: 4'8" kids on 29" wheeled MTBs

Post by Freddie »

Has 27.5" fallen out of favour with MTBers? Can't say I notice anyone round here riding on those.
Last edited by Freddie on 13 Aug 2019, 9:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
hemo

Post by hemo »

I'm still on 26"on mtb.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Twenty-niners are so last year!
Its all thirty-sixers now.....https://pimcycles.co.uk/
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

26" is dead.

here in Indonesia a lot of adults are the size of a British 11 year old, and the popular wheel size is '27.5'. Larger sizes in the same model may be 29ers
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Fashion, Minus One!
Stepover height should be considered, even kiddies might injure themselves trying to mount over a high crossbar

Introduction of many slightly different wheel and tyre sizes is awful, I bet it shall be troublesome to get spares later, Minus One!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

thelawnet wrote:26" is dead.

here in Indonesia a lot of adults are the size of a British 11 year old, and the popular wheel size is '27.5'. Larger sizes in the same model may be 29ers

Really, are adults smaller because of malnutrition, or what? Are younger people taller?
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
thelawnet wrote:26" is dead.

Really, are adults smaller because of malnutrition, or what? Are younger people taller?

I think it is mostly malnutrition (80% https://www.globalindonesianvoices.com/ ... -on-earth/) It's not a particularly poor country but the corporations push awful nutritionless food and there's no public education about healthy eating. They market a lot of stuff like powdered milks for children containing 5x more sugar than actual milk. Fresh milk isnt really consumed, 'cheese' is almost always disgusting shelf stable stuff made from vegetable oil.

Average height is 5'2" male/4'10" female.

probably current generation is taller than that but those are latest figures

official figures for childhood stunting (irreversible growth impairment due to malnutrition before age 3) is around 25-30%

the rich elite (mostly ethnically Chinese) are a lot taller.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Is it a miserable country in other ways? Why do you spend a lot of time there, plusminus?
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

O got my 10 year old grandson a mint cond. Raleigh Max Ogre from the mid to late 90s at beginning of summer hols, it's 26" wheels and quite literally he has to have the saddle down as far as it will go but he loves it.
I would say that a 29er would have a bit more stability than smaller wheeled variants and if the frame fits then why not. As for the extra weight, you're kidding right, some of the really cheap and nasty bikes that parents buy their kids growing up even in today's market weigh an absolute bag ton. His previous bike, a 24" alu job is no lighter than the Raleigh.

As for 26" wheeled bikes being dead :roll:
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Is it a miserable country in other ways? Why do you spend a lot of time there, plusminus?

I'm not sure I implied it was miserable in any way.

It's an interesting place to live in that there is quite little regulation/red tape.

I bought these dogs about a month ago, on a bit of a whim

dog.jpg

we stopped on the side of the road at a puncture repair place and they had a couple of puppies, I said I was looking for a puppy and they said I could buy them for about £14 each. I said I only wanted one dog, and they said 'ok, fine, £14 for both'.

So I brought them home in my Ortlieb panniers (one on each side) and they have been living on wild boar (lots of them running about, the meat runs about £1.40/kg, as Muslims don't eat it), eggs, cans of sardines, chicken bones, and rice.

No vet/pet shop, so I bought some herbicide designed for tomatoes etc. and used that as flea medicine (it's the same thing, by active ingredient, so why not). Seemed to do the trick. The dogs don't need walking because they play with each other all day, the locals would think you were completely insane if you took a dog for a walk on a lead.

Sometimes I go out at night with no lights on the bike and it's quite ok, as the traffic is light & slow and there are plenty of motorbikes without lights either, so why not. Road users aren't in a state of perpetual anger like in UK, although they do drive and ride quite badly, but you are supposed to just 'go with it'.