Date This Photo

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
RubaDub

Date This Photo

Post by RubaDub »

Can anyone suggest a rough date for when this photo was taken?

Navan Teachers.jpg
Brucey

Re: Date This Photo

Post by Brucey »

the bikes have pneumatic tyres and otherwise look to be post ~1894 models. However the bikes are most likely primarily intended for racing on the cinder track, so whilst 'road' fashions evolved over subsequent years, racing bikes didn't change in the same way, so if the bikes were meant for racing they would look about the same (at a distance) from ~1895 to about 1910 at least, maybe later. The main thing that happened during this period is that the machines got a lot cheaper and started to fall within the means of ordinary working folk; how the people in the photo were dressed may give you a good clue as to the age (boater hats = Edwardian?). That the machines in the photo were not only used for racing is evident from the presence of a bell on one or two of them.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RubaDub

Post by RubaDub »

Brucey wrote:the bikes have pneumatic tyres and otherwise look to be post ~1894 models. However the bikes are most likely primarily intended for racing on the cinder track, so whilst 'road' fashions evolved over subsequent years, racing bikes didn't change in the same way, so if the bikes were meant for racing they would look about the same (at a distance) from ~1895 to about 1910 at least, maybe later. The main thing that happened during this period is that the machines got a lot cheaper and started to fall within the means of ordinary working folk; how the people in the photo were dressed may give you a good clue as to the age (boater hats = Edwardian?). That the machines in the photo were not only used for racing is evident from the presence of a bell on one or two of them.

cheers

Thanks.

I was in the county library in Navan Co. Meath Ireland recently and asked the librarian/archivist if he had any early cycling items. The only thing he could show me is this photo which he had in a filing cabinet. It was in a file on its own labeled 'Navan teachers 1920s'. I said I thought it was earlier and dated it about 1910. They obviously have been competing in something as they appear to be showing-off prizes on the ground in front of them.
peetee

Post by peetee »

14th March.
:wink:
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
RubaDub

Post by RubaDub »

peetee wrote:14th March.
:wink:

Or 1st. April?

Seriously though, what makes me think it's earlier is the shirt collars and the hats. The high collars were still around in the '20s but in group photos you don't see so many as in earlier photos. Also hats tended to be caps or softer trilby type in 1920s photos.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

RubaDub wrote:.... They obviously have been competing in something as they appear to be showing-off prizes on the ground in front of them.

they appear to be at a cinder track, as would have been used for cycle racing at that time.

cheers
pwa

Post by pwa »

It strikes me as Edwardian, pre WW1, so 1910 would be as good a guess as any. But that is based mostly on dress, and did dress change much between 1910 and 1920 in rural Ireland? I would expect not. It could be impossible to date. Even the bikes might be a few years old.
RubaDub

Post by RubaDub »

pwa wrote:It strikes me as Edwardian, pre WW1, so 1910 would be as good a guess as any. But that is based mostly on dress, and did dress change much between 1910 and 1920 in rural Ireland? I would expect not. It could be impossible to date. Even the bikes might be a few years old.

Well I don't think we are looking at farm labourers here. I have books of photos taken in 'rural Ireland' in this era and dress does change, in the City (of London) not so much. :-)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Could it be a very authentic retro event from 2019? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

That's a recent picture shirley? CUK Forum members out on a run. :)
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

A great photograph, whenever it was. :)
If it was me racing at the time I would have tried my best to win the set of cutlery rather than the other silverware.
And what is the purpose of the step-ladder to nowhere I wonder. :lol:
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The date on the cup is helpful........assuming that it is from the year of the photo
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

fausto copy wrote:A great photograph, whenever it was. :)
If it was me racing at the time I would have tried my best to win the set of cutlery rather than the other silverware.
And what is the purpose of the step-ladder to nowhere I wonder. :lol:

I believe ordinaries would have been popular at the time.... mounting assistance?
nez

Post by nez »

RubaDub wrote:
I was in the county library in Navan Co. Meath Ireland recently and asked the librarian/archivist if he had any early cycling items. The only thing he could show me is this photo which he had in a filing cabinet. It was in a file on its own labeled 'Navan teachers 1920s'. I said I thought it was earlier and dated it about 1910. They obviously have been competing in something as they appear to be showing-off prizes on the ground in front of them.

Looking at the headstock you'd say their bikes had enormous trail or they rode big old frames. Anyway it's a fabulous picture
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

nez wrote:
Looking at the headstock you'd say …….. they rode big old frames. Anyway it's a fabulous picture

BITD the correct size frame was the largest that would still let you get the saddle low enough to ride. Seat pins were almost invariably very short things.
Bigger framesets, made the way those were, are almost invariably somewhat comfier to ride on than smaller ones.

cheers