Greene king

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
philvantwo

Greene king

Post by philvantwo »

I read that Greene King who brew Mick F's Speckled Hen and my favourite Abbot Ale have been taken over by the Chinese!
Cunobelin

Re: Greene king

Post by Cunobelin »

Apparently so...

Poor MIck F... "Barman can I have a 斑點的母雞 and a packet of Pork scratchings, please?"
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

philvantwo wrote:I read that Greene King who brew Mick F's Speckled Hen and my favourite Abbot Ale have been taken over by the Chinese!

as it goes down good with chicken chop suey
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I don't wish to appear pedantic but it is Hong Kong's richest family which has bought Greene King.
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

They paid a very nice premium too... :mrgreen:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello there, Do I detect the activities of "Moderation" again?
As Hong Kong is now just a region of the PRC the people who originally thought themselves members of he British Commonwealth now find that they are considered lesser folk than those in mainland China.
The agreement from the handover isn't worth the paper it's written on! I'll now avoid Greene King brews. TTFN MM
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Oldjohnw wrote:I don't wish to appear pedantic but it is Hong Kong's richest family which has bought Greene King.

They're not Chinese?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

merseymouth wrote:Hello there, Do I detect the activities of "Moderation" again?
As Hong Kong is now just a region of the PRC the people who originally thought themselves members of he British Commonwealth now find that they are considered lesser folk than those in mainland China.
The agreement from the handover isn't worth the paper it's written on! I'll now avoid Greene King brews. TTFN MM

Hong Kong wasn't a member of the Commonwealth, it was a British colony. The two are not the same. Membership of the Commonwealth was voluntary but colonial status isn't.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pete75 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I don't wish to appear pedantic but it is Hong Kong's richest family which has bought Greene King.

They're not Chinese?

Ethnically perhaps. But HK is - at least at present - quite different to Mainland China. HK is still capitalist and free market based (one country, two systems) but disappearing before our very eyes. In twenty years it will will be fully absorbed.
John
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello there, Agreed on all points. But the reality is that after the handover the once British Colony is now de facto an integral part of the PRC, as China has in fact repudiated all of their agreed conditions negotiated by Thatcher's HMG. That is the reality.
But isn't it strange that in sport Hong Kong still gets a presence, in addition to the PRC?
Colonialism was bad, the PRC's treatment of it's own citizens is no better! MM
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It has a 50 year transition from two system one country to one country one system. Is it halfway through that now?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

merseymouth wrote:Hello there, Agreed on all points. But the reality is that after the handover the once British Colony is now de facto an integral part of the PRC, as China has in fact repudiated all of their agreed conditions negotiated by Thatcher's HMG. That is the reality.
But isn't it strange that in sport Hong Kong still gets a presence, in addition to the PRC?
Colonialism was bad, the PRC's treatment of it's own citizens is no better! MM

It was an integral part of China until Britain seized it during the Opium wars in the mid nineteenth century. Nothing wrong with it going back to it's pre colonial status.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Tangled Metal wrote:It has a 50 year transition from two system one country to one country one system. Is it halfway through that now?

Pretty well. Which is why today's students are getting so twitchy. They will have children who will be young adults then and will suddenly be aborted into communist China.
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... GTUK_email

It’s not hard to see why Greene King looked attractive. CKA is a property company and Greene King has an estate which has a current market value of £4.6bn against a book value of £3.6bn.

Many of these properties are in desirable parts of the country and would be worth more if converted into homes than they would be if they stayed as pubs. It is in CKA’s interests at present to say that it is impressed by Greene King’s ability to generate strong cashflow but any Greene King regular who thinks this deal will not lead to pub closures has probably had one too many.

So really just another asset strip
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mercalia wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/aug/21/greene-king-sale-isnt-one-for-pubgoers-to-drink-to?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTA4MjE%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email

It’s not hard to see why Greene King looked attractive. CKA is a property company and Greene King has an estate which has a current market value of £4.6bn against a book value of £3.6bn.

Many of these properties are in desirable parts of the country and would be worth more if converted into homes than they would be if they stayed as pubs. It is in CKA’s interests at present to say that it is impressed by Greene King’s ability to generate strong cashflow but any Greene King regular who thinks this deal will not lead to pub closures has probably had one too many.

So really just another asset strip

Indeed. And eventually, our rail, our power, our telecoms and now our beer will end up with Communist China. And what they don't own the Saudis and Russian oligarchs will.
John