Lidl cycling/other & Camping gear stuff

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mercalia

Re: Lidl cycling & Camping gear April 2019 update

Post by mercalia »

The utility cyclist wrote:
mercalia wrote:My Lidl ( Streatham London) has got some of the Lithium light sets in "reduced" from £20 to £17. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: what a bargain, when 2 years ago they were like £10 a set. Lidl are getting greedy?

as pointed out previously these are not the same lights.
The front is rated at 60Lux, the original was 40, the newer rear is a rechargeable, the original was a battery job

well I liked the rear battery one, I seem to remember that the battery inside the front is the same or nearly so, so where does the extra lux come from? shorter times? One feature that the new ones DONT have I think is being able to run off a powerbank? I think Sweep reported that the light turns off when you connect one. If that is true then that writes of the new ones as no good other than for commuting. Adding just a 5000mah power back to the original creates a formidable touring light that can go on and on.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

mercalia wrote:
mercalia wrote:My Lidl ( Streatham London) has got some of the Lithium light sets in "reduced" from £20 to £17. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: what a bargain, when 2 years ago they were like £10 a set. Lidl are getting greedy?

as pointed out previously these are not the same lights.
The front is rated at 60Lux, the original was 40, the newer rear is a rechargeable, the original was a battery job

well I liked the rear battery one, I seem to remember that the battery inside the front is the same or nearly so, so where does the extra lux come from? shorter times? One feature that the new ones DONT have I think is being able to run off a powerbank? I think Sweep reported that the light turns off when you connect one. If that is true then that writes of the new ones as no good other than for commuting. Adding just a 5000mah power back to the original creates a formidable touring light that can go on and on.

No, it's not the same battery at all, the newer one is 1300 mAh and there's a significant increase in run time compared to the original version. I have the original with the internal battery, it gets used on my commuter bike, I wouldn't use it as a touring light even if you could charge it whilst in use, that just seems to me to be the wrong light for the job.

I have a Sigma PAVA for when I want a long running light with a good beam, with removable AAs (4xFujitsu) I get a very decent run time on the low setting of about 30 hours, I can travel at 20mph in totally unlit conditions with that and a single button push gives me the high setting if I'm going faster or the road surface needs more attention. So it doesn't need a powerbank whilst going along, it's also one of the quickest (if not the quickest) lights of any quality to remove and fit which is a massive bonus as I can fit it to any bike in about 3 seconds, parking up somewhere and want to make sure your light is still there in morning, it's about 5 seconds to take it off, clamp and all.

But if you want to buy one of the older crivit models that uses batteries https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264301888201
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mercalia wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:as pointed out previously these are not the same lights.

No, it's not the same battery at all, the newer one is 1300 mAh and there's a significant increase in run time compared to the original version. I have the original with the internal battery, it gets used on my commuter bike, I wouldn't use it as a touring light even if you could charge it whilst in use, that just seems to me to be the wrong light for the job.

I have a Sigma PAVA for when I want a long running light with a good beam, with removable AAs (4xFujitsu) I get a very decent run time on the low setting of about 30 hours, I can travel at 20mph in totally unlit conditions with that and a single button push gives me the high setting if I'm going faster or the road surface needs more attention. So it doesn't need a powerbank whilst going along, it's also one of the quickest (if not the quickest) lights of any quality to remove and fit which is a massive bonus as I can fit it to any bike in about 3 seconds, parking up somewhere and want to make sure your light is still there in morning, it's about 5 seconds to take it off, clamp and all.

But if you want to buy one of the older crivit models that uses batteries https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264301888201

well you would do us all a favour to supply the run times for the new front light. I think for the old it was about 3.5 hrs max to about 10hrs min. re the battery, well I have just had a look at mine says it has a 1300mah lithium cell in so seems the same. To squeeze 50% more lux sounds like an optimistic rating rather than the conservative 40 lux of the original. I have used mine in the complete dark and it is more than adequate at moderate speeds - it wont flood light the surrounds so not good for mt biking yes. 40 lux is over kill for communting with street ligts, I make do with the lowest setting.

Thanks for posting the ebay link as some one may want them as Lidl dont do the battery lamp any more a real shame as I think the best option
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

CIder

On another note this week end have Woodgate vintage cider 500ml as one of their 1/2 price offers 69p rather than £1.15. 7% proof. I tried a bottle of this the other week and quite nice on a hot day from the fridge. max 6 bottles
The utility cyclist

mercalia wrote:
mercalia wrote:

well you would do us all a favour to supply the run times for the new front light. I think for the old it was about 3.5 hrs max to about 10hrs min. re the battery, well I have just had a look at mine says it has a 1300mah lithium cell in so seems the same. To squeeze 50% more lux sounds like an optimistic rating rather than the conservative 40 lux of the original. I have used mine in the complete dark and it is more than adequate at moderate speeds - it wont flood light the surrounds so not good for mt biking yes. 40 lux is over kill for communting with street ligts, I make do with the lowest setting.

Thanks for posting the ebay link as some one may want them as Lidl dont do the battery lamp any more a real shame as I think the best option

I don't think The original internal battery type had a 3.5 run time on high, i tested mine and it wasn't anywhere near that. I know there have been a couple of very similar variants even with the internal battery, i wonder if mine was an earlier/diff version to yours. I can't remember now but i posted in April re the capacity difference so i must have seen it somewhere when looking for a light for my friend (she had the orig but broke it).

I don't have the new one but could get one just to test, however the new clamp is garbage, just a rubber band job :x
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mercalia wrote:

I don't think The original internal battery type had a 3.5 run time on high, i tested mine and it wasn't anywhere near that. I know there have been a couple of very similar variants even with the internal battery, i wonder if mine was an earlier/diff version to yours. I can't remember now but i posted in April re the capacity difference so i must have seen it somewhere when looking for a light for my friend (she had the orig but broke it).

I don't have the new one but could get one just to test, however the new clamp is garbage, just a rubber band job :x

well I have had a quick look back at this thread some people incl me are saying 3.5 hrs on max. one did say 2.5 hrs

I also found adding a poundllander 1200mah usb powerbank increased that to 6 hrs or with a lidl 5000mah pack 11.5 hrs on max.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Sweep wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

The £19.99 set has an extra setting position one.
This varies in light with the ambient light.
It's still a good light with a nice dipped beam.
I have three of them and I'm quite happy with them.
It's just a pity really like doesn't match up to the front one.

Why did you get three USB ones natural ankling?

won't they degrade together?

I have one Lidl USB one and two of the 4xAA ones.

agree that they are decent lights.

I quite like the tiddly shield shaped rear as a supplementary light but fear I have lost it - things can be too small :)

I have gone over well stayed with AAA twin read leds, I have some that last 27-30 hours constant light not flashing at 50 grams with bracket.
Rear rechargeables don't last long as said.
My three LIDL front rechargeable lights are bought at different times, one sent back as switch packed up from non use?
On low they last 12 hrs or so, so ideal for a all night ride.
I commonly always use a helmet mounted very bright front light 1200lms stated as well as a bike mounted light.
I always carry two front lidl lights so if one packs up I can still get home.

AS we know a year in these led lights is a long time with ever increasing length's of burn time.
30 hours for a rear led on two AAA's :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:
AS we know a year in these led lights is a long time with ever increasing length's of burn time.
)

Sorry naturalankling, maybe being dim, don't really understand
Sweep
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Sweep wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:
)

Sorry naturalankling, maybe being dim, don't really understand

Sorry :oops:
I should of said six months is a long time with cycle lights.
No sooner you buy one technology moves on, Like mobile phones.
My current rear lights Are lasting up to 30 hours, the ones I had before that only lasted about six hours.
The utility cyclist

mercalia wrote:
mercalia wrote:

well I have had a quick look back at this thread some people incl me are saying 3.5 hrs on max. one did say 2.5 hrs

I also found adding a poundllander 1200mah usb powerbank increased that to 6 hrs or with a lidl 5000mah pack 11.5 hrs on max.

Doh, it's written on the underside of the lamp, mine is a 1000mAh hence the shorter run time, doesn't really matter to me, it suits for what I need on the bike it fits to and what I primarily use it for. I still think it's a bit unjustified in the slating of the newer sets, at £20 I still think it's decent value for a rechargeable front and rear set with a front that gives a decent usable beam and good run time, there are far more expensive lights out there that offer same or even less overall in actual lighting.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Lidl Light set at £12.99 on Sunday 25th August, sounds a bargain.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Lidl Light set at £12.99 on Sunday 25th August, sounds a bargain.

compared to what it was @£20 yes, but £12.99 was I think more or less the original price?
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Yes but this is not the original light. As others are said This light is 60 lumen Original is 40 IIRC.
Also this has an extra feature on the front light which varies the light intensity with the ambient light.
Rear is also rechargeable, no idea if this is any good or not.
Against it is the rubber band type front fitting.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Yes but this is not the original light. As others are said This light is 60 lumen Original is 40 IIRC.
Also this has an extra feature on the front light which varies the light intensity with the ambient light.
Rear is also rechargeable, no idea if this is any good or not.
Against it is the rubber band type front fitting.

A gh - didn't notice they had changed the mount - very bad.
My excellent Lidl 4xAA and USB rechargeable lights both use a clone of the Smart light front mount which is excellent.

Seems like Lidl have a habit of ruining good stuff.
Both lights were fine - if they just wanted to increase the power/run-time that would have been fine.
It's for this reasion that if I find a good cycling product I tend to buy several before some bright spark "improves" it.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I think the original rear used a "rubber band" if you mean the band that attahed the mount proper, a stretchy thing with stops on it? Has been fine with mine

I still dont understand why they discontinued the 4AA version. OK a bit heavy and bigger than the lithium one but nothing much to go wrong should last a long time. Also useful as a torch.