Dating a Dawes Horizon Tandem

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
skogar

Re: Dating a Dawes Horizon Tandem

Post by skogar »

Many thanks for the scan of the 1992 catalogue. As you say the colour isn't correct for this one so it doesn't quite match. I thought it was odd that there wasn't the same range of tandems in the 1993 catalogue but as it is a Dutch one it would make sense that there are fewer drop handled bikes so the horizon could well still have been available in the UK catalogue. I've found a few more catalogues on line but unfortunately no horizon tandem in them.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Sorry it's a bit fuzzy. Although a handheld, dimly lit photo my original is better but the resolution has been cut. Hope you can read the spec. OK. Like my solo, a 501 frame with a 531 fork. I recall seeing a more recent catalogue years ago showing a unicrown fork on the solo, so as yours is unicrown (looks it) my guess is 1993 since graphics are apparently wrong for 1994 and later. Doubt it's 1991 or earlier because of the fork.
skogar

Post by skogar »

I found a site with quite a few more Dawes catalogues on but it hasn't really helped. The Dawes Horizon appears as a solo bike in the 1986 on, but the only tnadem appears to be a Galaxy and it is just described as tandem, implying there is only one - the same in the 1990 catalogue. Based on the lack of tandems in the earlier catalogues I think I'm homing in on somewhere round the 1991-1993 range - as you say the decals are wrong for 94.
https://dawescycles.wordpress.com/catalogues/

Unfortunately the resolution wasn't quite good enough to read the spec unfortunately, but pic is enough to see that the colour doesn't match although decals do.
skogar

Post by skogar »

Just had another look on my computer here. I can make a bit more out :D - my monitor at work is appalling. Enough to see that it is 18 speed and that the forks should be 531 unfortunately still struggling to get all the detail - i couldn't see that at work at all.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

We bought a Horizon Twin in I think 1991, when my daughter would have been 7. It was just like the one in skogar's catalogue, with 531 forks and the extra stays from the rear seat tube to the drop out. Only the colour was different, not violet but a rich deep blue similar to skogar's. In those days the Galaxy was dark green.

I may be able to dig out some old photos with dates on. We fitted kiddy cranks, with some difficulty as the extra rear stays limited the position. She loved it but I found it quite hard work!
skogar

Post by skogar »

Many thanks for the post Lollykat. 1991 would make sense I think as the few pictures of bikes I have seen in this colour look to be 18 speed also it would make sense that this was the colour of possibly the first horizon tandems seeing as I can't see any in the 1990 and earlier cataloques i have been able to find. Network man's catalogue for 1992 was really helpful as it showed the same colour as was in the 1994 catalogue but with the 18 speed gears. Also given the colour change appears to have happened in 1992 followed by the change by 1994 to 21 speed on the horizon tandem, this would make sense. It clear that there have been a number of changes made on the bike so the set up e.g. gears handlebars are not original, it may well be that other parts have also been replaced. If you have any pics of your original horizon I would love to see them. :D
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

I don't think so. You don't have the extra stays that my pic. and Lollycat's frame have. You don't have the 531 fork either - isn't yours unicrown? Did you look for serial number on seat cluster? It will have to be somewhere where the steel is fairly thick.
skogar

Post by skogar »

Thanks Network man - I see what you mean about the stays. The shape at the back doesn't match the 1992 horizon. The fork is a bit of a mystery. Finally managed to get the serial number. Needed real daylight and it was too wet here last night to look.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Oh hang. My theory is blown out of the water. My 1992 Horizon is 920xxxx and my 2001 Audax is 010xxx. Also there was a guy on here with a 1990's Galaxy which also fitted the pattern. Perhaps the tandems use a different system but why should they. If you can't find a 1993 UK catalogue I think we are stuck.
BTW is it a unicrown fork? I wasn't certain from your pics.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

kinky? wanting to go on a date with a tandem :wink:
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I expect we all know the first verse of "Daisy, Daisy", but how many know the second?

Harry, Harry, here is your answer true
I’d be crazy to marry a fool like you
There won’t be any marriage
If you can’t afford a carriage
'Cause I’ll be damned if I get crammed
On a bicycle built for two.

:lol:
skogar

Post by skogar »

LollyKat - That did make me chuckle.

Network man - my guess was that if the serial number included the year then the only 2 digits that made sense were the last 2 which would be 94.

I emailed Dawes in case they could identify it and this is the answer I received.

"Thank you for your email, the Dawes Horizon Tandem in the image was from our 1993 range, and for a model that is 26 years old it is in excellent condition."

There is no mention of the serial number so whether this model was still being made in 94 and the last 2 digits indicate this I don't know. I have asked if they have any details of the specification so will see what they come back with.

I'm afraid my knowledge of bikes isn't up to identifying a unicrown fork. I will try and get a better photo.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

LollyKat wrote:I expect we all know the first verse of "Daisy, Daisy", but how many know the second?

When I saw the OP I thought, I like my bike but dating it...!
John
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

skogar wrote:LollyKat - That did make me chuckle.
I'm afraid my knowledge of bikes isn't up to identifying a unicrown fork. I will try and get a better photo.

If you google for "unicrown fork" you'll get loads of pictures of one. If you google for "fork crown" you'll get loads of pictures for the bit at the top of a non-unicrown fork - the crown. A unicrown fork doesn't have a separate crown. (If that makes sense!)
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Oldjohnw wrote:
LollyKat wrote:I expect we all know the first verse of "Daisy, Daisy", but how many know the second?

When I saw the OP I thought, I like my bike but dating it...!

Ah, but tandems are especially attractive :)