This wonderful, beautiful bat came in through the bathroom window

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Redvee

Re: This wonderful, beautiful fluff ball came in through the bathroom window

Post by Redvee »

I had a bat stalking me as I rode home one night on a dark country lane well away from any houses, think it might have picked up high frequency sounds coming from my pulsing front LED light.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I had one land in my armpit on a bike one night.
Plenty of leds and wireless devices on board.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
skyhawk wrote:..
I love being autistic, I believe it has made me truly love all animals in a way many don't or can not

I think many of this parish are on the spectrum at least, +1?! I can get on with people but dislike crowds

But what about people who are more abnormal? Most foetuses with downs syndrome are aborted but downs children can be happy and useful members of society

Any opinions or experiences? There is a group near me for downs children and their families, I am going to the group meeting soon to find out more

I know someone with a downs child and I know someone else who had a downs sibling, both sets of people found caring for the downs member of their family a very negatively life changing burden. Both sets of people are very capable and caring types. Make of all that what you will, I feel sure that everyone brings something useful to the world, but there are times when the ‘rosey tinted glasses’ need to be put to one side. A friend of mine worked in the health service for many years, she’s a clever and compassionate women who had some contact with Downs people as part of her professional life. Knowing all that she did made her most determined to be scanned when she was pregnant, her children didn’t have Downs and I could not have judged her adversely if she’d chosen to have a foetus terminated that did.

Autism and Dyslexia are in many families and possibly, to some degree in my own. These days those disabilities are understood and might even be used to advantage, thank goodness that times have changed.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:I keep thinking of early man made flying machines with umbreller wings that were pumped up and down.
Plenty of gliders adapted to flight, but are there any others that fly?
I think those 'umbrella' contraptions were mere attempts at flying machines - none of them successful. See here for more laughs :lol: :
[youtube]fw_C_sbfyx8[/youtube]

Last edited by Graham ... Reason: Title - please try to help the reader with an infomative title
I don't see anything wrong with the OP's original title, Graham. In fact it was intriguing to click on the thread and find out what sort of creature had in fact visited the OP. Please don't be so pedantic!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

661-Pete wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:
Last edited by Graham ... Reason: Title - please try to help the reader with an infomative title
I don't see anything wrong with the OP's original title, Graham. In fact it was intriguing to click on the thread and find out what sort of creature had in fact visited the OP. Please don't be so pedantic!

Not to say condescending.

---o0o---

I like going out into the garden with the dogs last thing at night at this time of year. If I shine a torch straight up I can watch the bats picking bugs out of the air, sometimes within inches of my face. I don't know if the beam attracts more insects, but the bats seem to stick pretty close to it. Nice.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
pete75

Re: This wonderful, beautiful bat came in through the bathroom window

Post by pete75 »

[youtube]NVv7IzEVf3M[/youtube]
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

While we were watching the Total Eclipse last month in Argentina, several bats came out of their roosts at the moment of totality and started flying around the field where we were gathered. When the eclipse ended (just over 2 minutes later) they presumably returned to their roosts, suitably befuddled.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
skyhawk wrote:..
I love being autistic, I believe it has made me truly love all animals in a way many don't or can not

I think many of this parish are on the spectrum at least, +1?! I can get on with people but dislike crowds

But what about people who are more abnormal? Most foetuses with downs syndrome are aborted but downs children can be happy and useful members of society

Any opinions or experiences? There is a group near me for downs children and their families, I am going to the group meeting soon to find out more

The problem I also have is that I love photography, I have been a photographer for 45+ years, and am just getting into landscape BUT... not liking to mix with people means it is hard to go out, give me an open space to myself and I am happy but it is always in my head that someone will come to speak to me, mug me to take my gear, start a conversation, and being a loner though I don't want to be.

Dog owners are worse, love me love my dog, I LOVE ALL animals but I don't want people to assume I want them round me, unless you have Aspergers/Autism you won't understand, and worse still not being physically disabled people think you are just being rude. I carry this to show people, and it helps

BUT NEVER be ashamed of what you have, I am not, in fact in a cynical way it comes in handy a lot :) :) :)

aut.jpg
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

But you are sociable on these fora, you worked with people for many years, you had a family..

I would never go to Glastonbury at festival time, would not fancy London, used to go there a lot

At work I get on well with a few people but..

And I had a job travelling, lecturing to small groups, that was great (I had power?), just been at a concert in a small church, 200 people. Sat right at the front, otherwise I sit right at the back. Hate having strangers close, breathing down my neck
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Same thing happened to me once-a GrayNicholls if I recall. :wink: