Greene king

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PDQ Mobile

Re: Greene king

Post by PDQ Mobile »

The weakness if Sterling was a factor in making it very attractive I guess?
And the huge property portfolio.

There are those on here that have cited overpriced housing and land in the SE through overcrowding and immigration as a main reason for leaving the EU.
Yet those very same folk are apparently very happy to personally turn a share profit through those very same factors.

That's the Stock Market for you.
Money rides roughshod over every decent principle.
Including taking back control etc!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

I've little sympathy for Greene King. They deserve all they get.
Over the years they've bought and closed Rayments, Morlands, Hardy and Hansons, Ridleys, Morrells and Ridleys.
Hardy and Hanson brewed superb beer but the name is now used for something crap brewed in Bury St Edmunds. Rayments BBA was a superb ordinary bitter brewed at a charming little brewery in Furneux Pelham in Hertfordshire. Both now gone from the beer scene.
They've ruined Ruddles County once a very fine pint, certainly much better than Greene King's own equivalent, Abbot. Fortunately it's still available in close to it's original taste as Grainstore Ten Fifty. This is brewed just two miles from Ruddles former brewery at Langham by the Grainstore Brewery in Oakham. It's run by a chap who was Ruddles head brewer.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

merseymouth wrote:Hello there, Do I detect the activities of "Moderation" again?
As Hong Kong is now just a region of the PRC the people who originally thought themselves members of he British Commonwealth now find that they are considered lesser folk than those in mainland China.
The agreement from the handover isn't worth the paper it's written on! I'll now avoid Greene King brews. TTFN MM

Probably, if whatever was moderated was as off-topic as the above and even more xenophobic. Congratulations on getting the above past the mods by including a token final sentence about Greene King(!)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello MGR, I accept the possibility of "Off Topic", but resent your implication that I am xenophobic in word or thought!
If a government signs up to a contract, then they need to be trusted to follow out the agreement.
I apologise for straying, after all folk have apologised on my behalf for things I never did, nor would ever consider doing so! Least I can do. IGICB MM
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

philvantwo wrote:I read that Greene King who brew Mick F's Speckled Hen and my favourite Abbot Ale have been taken over by the Chinese!
So what?

I haven't got a clue - and I don't care - who owns what. If the product is good, it doesn't matter.
The issue is that it remains good. Look what happened to Sharp's beers - especially Doom Bar - when Coors bought them.

Rubbish now, and it's rare that you'll find a pub locally who could even sell it. It's only the visitors who'll buy it as they don't know any better.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Marstons share price immediately increased 10% after the announcement. Presumably anticipating a copycat deal.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mjr

Post by mjr »

Oldjohnw wrote:And eventually, our rail, our power, our telecoms and now our beer will end up with Communist China. And what they don't own the Saudis and Russian oligarchs will.

OK, I'm missing this about rail. Not much of it is UK-owned but where are the Chinese, Saudi and Russian? There's a couple of minority Hong Kong metro stakes but I think far more is currently majority-owned by European governments, including Chiltern, Cross Country, Northern, East Midlands, East Anglia, Scotland, West Midlands, Thameside and minority stakes in West Coast, Thameslink, Southern, Great Northern, Southeastern and Wales. Only Crossrail is so far run by a wholly non-EU-owned company: Hong Kong's mostly-government-owned metro (MTR) and as others point out, it's still not clear whether that means it will eventually become Chinese or not...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

merseymouth wrote:If a government signs up to a contract, then they need to be trusted to follow out the agreement.

I agree but it's almost nothing to do with this topic, plus that's almost the direct opposite of your position in viewtopic.php?p=1321280#p1321280 and other posts on that topic.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mjr wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:And eventually, our rail, our power, our telecoms and now our beer will end up with Communist China. And what they don't own the Saudis and Russian oligarchs will.

OK, I'm missing this about rail. Not much of it is UK-owned but where are the Chinese, Saudi and Russian? There's a couple of minority Hong Kong metro stakes but I think far more is currently majority-owned by European governments, including Chiltern, Cross Country, Northern, East Midlands, East Anglia, Scotland, West Midlands, Thameside and minority stakes in West Coast, Thameslink, Southern, Great Northern, Southeastern and Wales. Only Crossrail is so far run by a wholly non-EU-owned company: Hong Kong's mostly-government-owned metro (MTR) and as others point out, it's still not clear whether that means it will eventually become Chinese or not...

Maybe not rail. Yet. Volvos, of course.
John
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

al_yrpal wrote:Marstons share price immediately increased 10% after the announcement. Presumably anticipating a copycat deal.

Al

But the pound has dropped 12% against the Euro so the share price doesn't even hold it's initial value.
Still the figures look impressive for those that read such stuff I guess.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Marstons share price immediately increased 10% after the announcement. Presumably anticipating a copycat deal.

Al

But the pound has dropped 12% against the Euro so the share price doesn't even hold it's initial value.
Still the figures look impressive for those that read such stuff I guess.

Unlike most FTSE 100 companies GNK hasn't got an international presence, so yes it's gone down in terms of other currencies, but GNK and MARS paid good dividends which is what is important to most long term investors many of whom have enjoyed a nice little profit.

Pubs are still closing, except for Wetherspoon's of course which is still gradually expanding and they are promising even lower prices for drinks when we leave the EU.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

^^
So we can drown our sorrows more cheaply I suppose.
Personally I rather doubt it will become cheaper.
Pretty much everything will rise in price. It is happening already.

Cheap(est) isn't always best of course.
I am a lover of high quality amd refinement myself, especially but not only, in eating and drinking out.
But we're all different!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Just booked a table online for our local Loch Fyne restaurant. The confirmation email came from a greeneking.co.uk email address!

You learn something new every day.