Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
flash

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Post by flash »

I'm sorry to hear that Ken. What will we do without the comedy tent??? :lol:
We'll have to make CTC really special then.......
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

flash wrote:I'm sorry to hear that Ken. What will we do without the comedy tent??? :lol:
We'll have to make CTC really special then.......

Thanks Flash
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
KFT

Post by KFT »

Sorry to hear that C2C will be your last multi-day ride Ken, but you are right family and health have to come first.
KFT

Post by KFT »

oldmanonabike wrote:
flash wrote:I must admit I was really looking forward to a JOGLE. I wouldn't want to ride borders to LE. I like the challenge of the whole route, plus I was hoping to do the whole route on my Uncle John's bike. We talked about the trip and he wanted me to have his bike before he passed away. It would mean a lot to me. I'd possibly be up for a Scotland plus islands ride but End to End would definitely be my preference.....

If enough of the Wimps decide Jogle it will happen I'm trying to keep the gang together but nothing is cast in concrete

Why can't we look at combining both?
Do a Scottish Tour next year ending at the Borders and then the following year, those who want to do the full JOGLE start at JOG and those that don't, meet with them at the Scottish borders and then all ride down to LE as the full WIMPS group?
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

KFT wrote:
oldmanonabike wrote:
flash wrote:I must admit I was really looking forward to a JOGLE. I wouldn't want to ride borders to LE. I like the challenge of the whole route, plus I was hoping to do the whole route on my Uncle John's bike. We talked about the trip and he wanted me to have his bike before he passed away. It would mean a lot to me. I'd possibly be up for a Scotland plus islands ride but End to End would definitely be my preference.....

If enough of the Wimps decide Jogle it will happen I'm trying to keep the gang together but nothing is cast in concrete

Why can't we look at combining both?
Do a Scottish Tour next year ending at the Borders and then the following year, those who want to do the full JOGLE start at JOG and those that don't, meet with them at the Scottish borders and then all ride down to LE as the full WIMPS group?

The man has a plan
Nickeveson

Post by Nickeveson »

A good plan
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Nickeveson wrote:A good plan
MK. 2 ...

Lets leave the trip / planning until we're all together for the CTC and chat about it then .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

landsurfer wrote:
Nickeveson wrote:A good plan
MK. 2 ...

Lets leave the trip / planning until we're all together for the CTC and chat about it then .....

Unfortunately not all the Wimps are doing the C2C
hughwill69

Post by hughwill69 »

oldmanonabike wrote:Looking at the responses to the 3 week Jogle and being reluctant to effectively stopping some Wimps from taking part may I suggest
For next year do a Wimps tour of Scotland including some of the islands. this could be 7 to 10days depending on the Wimps availability.
The following year we could complete Jogle from the Scottish borders to LE.
Hopefully this will allow all Wimps to take part without interrupting family life to much.
Comments and ideas Please

For a number of reasons.....

(see https://hughwill69.wordpress.com/)

.....I have just completed LEJoG in four sections starting back in May 2018. When we got to JoG people (as they always do) asked me how I felt. The fact that I hadn't done it in one go did cross my mind. But it's not a biggy at my age (69 3/4) as I realised it was the route I wanted to do, not a personal feat of endurance. And to me I am now a LEJoGer whether others would say so or not.

So I would say go for what's practical. It'll feel just as good.

BTW, having started this, my wimpy LEJog turned out as involving 42,000 feet of climbing. Why anyone would want to add to such a total (Forest of Bowland? Cheddar Gorge? The Carnwell?, The Lecht? is beyond me....)

Hugh
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

hughwill69 wrote:
oldmanonabike wrote:Looking at the responses to the 3 week Jogle and being reluctant to effectively stopping some Wimps from taking part may I suggest
For next year do a Wimps tour of Scotland including some of the islands. this could be 7 to 10days depending on the Wimps availability.
The following year we could complete Jogle from the Scottish borders to LE.
Hopefully this will allow all Wimps to take part without interrupting family life to much.
Comments and ideas Please

For a number of reasons.....

(see https://hughwill69.wordpress.com/)

.....I have just completed LEJoG in four sections starting back in May 2018. When we got to JoG people (as they always do) asked me how I felt. The fact that I hadn't done it in one go did cross my mind. But it's not a biggy at my age (69 3/4) as I realised it was the route I wanted to do, not a personal feat of endurance. And to me I am now a LEJoGer whether others would say so or not.

So I would say go for what's practical. It'll feel just as good.

BTW, having started this, my wimpy LEJog turned out as involving 42,000 feet of climbing. Why anyone would want to add to such a total (Forest of Bowland? Cheddar Gorge? The Carnwell?, The Lecht? is beyond me....)

Hugh

Nice to see your post, one of the things I regret about the Wimps Lejog is that you weren't with us.
I'm 72 now and after a life changing illness i have decided not to take part in anymore long distant rides after the C2c next week.
My other regret about Wimps Lejog was falling off on day four and my seven broken ribs stopped me from completing it. CONGRATULATIONS on finishing your Lejog. We can both look back on what we and Landsurfer created with pride and watch Landsurfer continue the Wimps tradition
hughwill69

Post by hughwill69 »

Chapeau to you for what you've done.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Inverness to Borra to-day ..... seems like last week not 2 years ago .... so much has happened here ..... Our house is full of children, babies .. ok baby....and all that goes with it.
It was the best of times .... Abington was the best of Birthdays for me ... 60, surrounded by friends and comrades .... barbecue and beer .... and all in bed for 9 ..... :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
flash

Post by flash »

It certainly doesn't seem that long ago. A cracking 2 weeks. The day before that was one of my favourites. We were so hot we saw a couple of cyclists eating what looked like ice creams, it turned out to be bananas..But when we got to Avimore we found an Italian ice cream parlour and it's where after ordering huge dishes of ice cream the owner said the immortal words "do you want doughnuts to go with your icecream?" :)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The days in Scotland will always be my favourites.
Top memories of today’s ride
Big descent to Inverness
Kessock Bridge Harry Gow Bakery
Traffic jam in Tain due to pigeon
Ice cream in Tain "Good on ya lads"
Gay bar in Golspie, swift pint while I waited for you's to catch up.
Campsite in Brora what a view!
Caged in university cycle team :lol:

Edit: I’d forgotten today was probably the best cafe of the trip at Alness.
Last edited by Paulatic on 4 Jul 2020, 9:42am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

flash wrote:It certainly doesn't seem that long ago. A cracking 2 weeks. The day before that was one of my favourites. We were so hot we saw a couple of cyclists eating what looked like ice creams, it turned out to be bananas..But when we got to Avimore we found an Italian ice cream parlour and it's where after ordering huge dishes of ice cream the owner said the immortal words "do you want doughnuts to go with your icecream?" :)

I agree flash the previous day was my all time favourite. The scenery, the hills, the weather. Rained all day here yesterday.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info