The "Royals" Thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
kwackers

Re: Poor Old Harry

Post by kwackers »

Audax67 wrote:They're such easy targets, aren't they?

I don't hold any great brief for any of them, but royal-bashing threads remind me of comedians who, stuck for any other way of getting a laugh, throw in a bunch of knob jokes.

I love knob jokes.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Psamathe wrote:
http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2019/08/21/smaller-family-means-smaller-private-jets-fewer-limousines-says-prince-harry/ wrote:SMALLER FAMILY MEANS SMALLER PRIVATE JETS, FEWER LIMOUSINES SAYS PRINCE HARRY
Following a defence of the Prince’s jet-setting by Sir Elton John, Harry said a smaller Sussex family would be able to fly around the world in more environmentally friendly private jets – such as a Cessna or a Legacy 650E – much smaller than the ones used by other members of the Royal family who have larger families to accommodate. Only having two children would also mean their fleet of Discoveries and Freelanders would be much smaller than those of the rest of the Royal family and their use of grandma’s Phantom VI would be kept to a bare minimum.
A smaller family would also mean the cost of renovating their next weekend retreat would only cost the taxpayer a few million ‘here and there’ and probably not as much as the £2.5m they splashed on the yoga floor at Frogmore Cottage. The Prince also said that the Sussex children could expect to wear the same clothes at least two or three times before throwing them out although he was not expecting to cut back on the £100,000+ their fashion conscious mum spunked on new frocks last year.

Ian

might be cheaper still to give them all one of those jet boards that the French guy flew over the channel; maybe just maybe they would just run out of fuel over the sea :) oh forget that musing as then the whole RAF & Navy would have to be called out find them? :evil:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

kwackers wrote:

I don't hold any great brief for any of them, but royal-bashing threads remind me of comedians who, stuck for any other way of getting a laugh, throw in a bunch of knob jokes.

I love knob jokes.

Please, what is a knob joke? Any examples?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Please, what is a knob joke? Any examples?

A woman visited a plastic surgeon who told her about a new procedure
called 'The Knob,' where a small knob is placed at the top of the woman's head and
could be turned to tighten up her skin and produce the effect of a
brand new face-lift.. Of course, the woman wanted 'The Knob.'

Over the course of the years, the woman tightened the knob, and the
effects were wonderful, the woman remained young looking and vibrant.

After fifteen years, the woman returned to the surgeon with two
problems..

'All these years, everything has been working just
fine. I've had to turn the knob many times and
I've always loved the results. But now I've
developed two annoying problems: First, I have these
terrible bags under my eyes and the knob won't get rid of them.'

The doctor looked at her closely and said, 'Those
aren't bags, those are your breasts.'

She said, 'Well, I guess there's no point in asking about the goatee.'
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Please, what is a knob joke? Any examples?

A woman visited a plastic surgeon who told her about a new procedure
called 'The Knob,' where a small knob is placed at the top of the woman's head and
could be turned to tighten up her skin and produce the effect of a
brand new face-lift.. Of course, the woman wanted 'The Knob.'

Over the course of the years, the woman tightened the knob, and the
effects were wonderful, the woman remained young looking and vibrant.

After fifteen years, the woman returned to the surgeon with two
problems..

'All these years, everything has been working just
fine. I've had to turn the knob many times and
I've always loved the results. But now I've
developed two annoying problems: First, I have these
terrible bags under my eyes and the knob won't get rid of them.'

The doctor looked at her closely and said, 'Those
aren't bags, those are your breasts.'

She said, 'Well, I guess there's no point in asking about the goatee.'

I know of a man who had the same operation,and after the same length of time went his GP about a persistent spot in in the middle of his forehead.After examining it the doctor exclaimed "that's not a spot,it's your belly button,and I do like your tie" :shock:

Could that be described as a double knobber? :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:

But if someone in a public position preaches one thing while doing the opposite, are we supposed to just excuse that? This certainly means I'll be switching off next time he goes on about environmental matters. I'd rather listen to someone who does what they say.

Greta is great but the royals are so popular all over the world
They have so much influence even if they are imperfect
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

A message?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49425402

On yer bike Harry!

any one know harrys email address?
Last edited by mercalia on 22 Aug 2019, 8:14am, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:A message?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49425402 .....

It's taken them long enough to realise it,now it begs the question.What are we going to do about it?
Last edited by reohn2 on 22 Aug 2019, 8:24am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

mercalia wrote:A message?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49425402

On yer bike Harry!

any one know harrys email address?

Maybe I'll give up my car when Elton gives up his private jet. :lol:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

By royal disappointment: Meghan and Harry’s behaviour is undermining the monarchy

A must read I think :?: The section on Epstein and the duke of York is very telling

In 67 years on the throne the Queen has managed to avoid the greasy clutches of conmen and the siren call of celebrity, always following her own wise counsel instead. Yet some of the younger members just will not heed her gold standards of propriety, whether through wilful arrogance or the inability to resist the largesse of empty men with deep pockets who yearn for prestige by proxy.

Meanwhile it has been revealed that a Hong Kong businessman has being paying fistfuls of dollars to willing royals for years. Dr Jonny Hon gives a £100,000 stipend to Zara Tindall to advise him on horse racing matters (‘it’s over there, the one with four legs’) and has given almost £300,000 to the Duchess of York for ‘marketing and promotion’ and being a non-executive director of his film company (‘pass me the paperclips’).

Harry and Meghan slip in and out of airports desperate not to be noticed. And no wonder, for you can either preach about climate change or you can fly on private jets. You can’t do both, no matter how many rainforests Sir Elton John promises to plant with his bare hands.

These miscreants could do worse than follow the example of the Queen; this force of nature in pastel separates who has never put a foot wrong nor allowed selfish needs or creature comforts to impede her sense of duty.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/08/by- ... Jan%20Moir
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Jokes about the aristocracy, including their head-honchos, are knob jokes. The knobs of our society have always been a joke albeit of the darkest kind, since the final laugh is theirs; and on us.

It is astonishing that we human sheep are so herd-like at times that we continue to be impressed by a bit of tatty glamour and selebity. Do you recall the Princess Di hysteria? An astonishing phenomenon, royalty and it's hordes of loyal bow&scrapers.

Cugel, a villein.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cugel wrote:

Jokes about the aristocracy, including their head-honchos, are knob jokes. The knobs of our society have always been a joke albeit of the darkest kind, since the final laugh is theirs; and on us.

It is astonishing that we human sheep are so herd-like at times that we continue to be impressed by a bit of tatty glamour and selebity. Do you recall the Princess Di hysteria? An astonishing phenomenon, royalty and it's hordes of loyal bow&scrapers.

Cugel, a villein.

(in medieval England) a feudal tenant entirely subject to a lord or manor to whom he paid dues and services in return for land.

You sure you want to identify yourself as that?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

The problem/dilemma is that they are both an (unelected) public official, and a human being.

They have responsiblities (and priviledges) from both aspects.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

mercalia wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Cugel, a villein.

(in medieval England) a feudal tenant entirely subject to a lord or manor to whom he paid dues and services in return for land.

You sure you want to identify yourself as that?

Yes, that's what we all are in Blighty, even now. But your definition is but partial. A villein does have some freedoms albeit from a short list compiled and allowed by the various aristocrats who define the laws limiting what we may or may not do largely to their own advantage and often to our disadvantage.

The bit of freedom is still worth having. One may still cycle about or post jeers at royalty on a forum such as this. If one is prepared to become an amoral or immoral exploiter-orc, serving and supporting the interests of the aristocrats, one may even be made a lordling oneself. Of course, the places are limited and may only be attained by those with a large degree of both luck and nastiness.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mattheus wrote:The problem/dilemma is that they are both an (unelected) public official, and a human being.

They have responsiblities (and priviledges) from both aspects.

well if they want to be "royalty" they are not normal people any more - just like the Queen isnt; you dont see her hobknobbing with Elton John or paedos? If they want to behave like movie stars or celebs then give up their "royal" titles and stop being supported or getting any cash from the state?