McDonald's

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Tangled Metal

Re: McDonald's

Post by Tangled Metal »

One very good thing about MacD is its international support of its charity, MacD House. In case anyone doesn't know about that charity it supports families with sick children in hospital by providing free accommodation so parents can stay near their sick child.

Put simply off MacD doesn't make money out can't support families in a stressful situation. Having had a child in a children's hospital I've stayed in one of their houses. Home on my own working during the week and weekends staying over while my partner stays in the ward all week.

On the other hand KFC doesn't do anything like that. On top of that they use chicken with hormones in to help them grow which has strong links to breast cancer I believe. For all its negatives at least MacD has one very big positive IMHO. No other fast food company like them has such a charity AFAIK.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I've used them (other than for a toilet visit) once in over 30 years. I'm not familiar with the menu and so when I got to the front of the queue and asked about what was on offer, not only did I feel that I had upset the factory production line that it seemed I was part of (and to the annoyance of those behind me), but I also felt like I was seen as a weirdo for not knowing exactly what everything on the menu was and not knowing exactly what I wanted before getting to the top of the queue. If I recall correctly, I also felt awkward at not knowing where to stand and wait for my food.

Talking about toilets at McDonald's, I did go to use one once (without being a customer) but got turned away and asked to leave the "restaurant" by the McDonald's security man. That was either Coventry or Birmingham city centre.

I see the place as one of the worst excesses of Americanisation/corporate-driven consumerism. McDonald's destroys a place's culture instead of enriching it (unlike Indian takeaways/restaurants :wink: )
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

First MaccyD I was in was in Singapore - of all places! - in 1988.
Not been in one since ..................... in any country, and no intention either.

Never ever been into a Costa.
Mick F. Cornwall
ossie

Post by ossie »

They serve a purpose for a long distance tourer.

I've been in French towns on a sunday where everything is shut, absolutely everything apart from a McDonalds,,which is usually rammed with locals. That tells you something.

Free wifi, toilet facilities and the sort of food that ..well you know, does a job.Hell you don't even have to eat there, just have a coffee or a soft drink if the food offends you.

I just wish France did a version of Spoons as well.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I can’t believe people visit MacDonalds for the coffee, it is truly awful!

I’m not a regular visitor, though their breakfasts are quite nice, I don’t like their burgers, Burger King burgers are nicer. McD’s Burgers don’t taste like meat.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mjr

Post by mjr »

ossie wrote:They serve a purpose for a long distance tourer.

I've been in French towns on a sunday where everything is shut, absolutely everything apart from a McDonalds,,which is usually rammed with locals. That tells you something.

Yes: that everything else is closed!

I just wish France did a version of Spoons as well.

Some branches of Paul are licensed...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I'm another who tends to use McD's while on tour for all the above reasons.
Wifi, toilet then food in that order.

Plus if you like do a lot of night rides, midnight->5am, simply because the roads are quite then they're the only place for hot food open.
It's either that or raid a big tesco's for cold stuff.

YMMV ......... :D
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

freiston wrote:Talking about toilets at McDonald's, I did go to use one once (without being a customer) but got turned away and asked to leave the "restaurant" by the McDonald's security man.

I like to use the toilet before I order - that way have clean hands, and am more relaxed. Not usually a problem that I recall in doing that anywhere.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Stradageek wrote:Watch BBC's 'War on Plastics' Episode 4 to see how McDonalds UK HQ treated two primary school girls who arrived to complain about all the throw away plastic toys given out with Happy Meals. :x

You'll never go to McDonalds again.

Ironically you could look at the way this forum treated a teenage girl standing up for the environment
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

gbnz wrote:
robing wrote:
Now in contrast, the toilets in Lidls (Richmond) have been my initial calling point on all three visits to the Dales this year. Fantastic, huge size, clean, brand new, even sufficient room to have a bit of a wash before continuing on the bike into the Dales

:)
You almost make them sound like the area's primary attraction.

Maybe in addition to the campsites list there should be a directory of palatial toilets for cleanups. Particularly useful if doing the odd bit of freecamping of course.

Have put Richmond Lidl on my list.

Seem to remember that Lidl's toilets in Colne were decent.

Sort of on the way to skipton and then the dales.
Sweep
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

There's nothing quite as healthy and appetising as a greasy burger and lukewarm chips washed down with heavily watered down diet coke for a cyclist requiring rations.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

mjr wrote:
Stradageek wrote:Watch BBC's 'War on Plastics' Episode 4 to see how McDonalds UK HQ treated two primary school girls who arrived to complain about all the throw away plastic toys given out with Happy Meals. :x

You'll never go to McDonalds again.

There are only three episodes on https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0005x ... des/player and I think you mean Episode 3 from the descriptions but sorry, I don't want to fight iplayer to watch an hour-long show just to see one incident. Please could you just describe what happened?

The girls turned up with a trolley load of throw away McD toys. A receptionist said she'd phone the PR department but instead contacted a burly security guard (who was non-uniformed and never said who he was) who then bullied them into moving to the pavement at the end of the drive. No one was willing to talk to them, on or off camera.

The programme was a bit naff (you didn't miss much) but this incident showed again how corporate greed trumps everything else
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

How many happy meals to fill a trolley with toys? Is that a good way to protest? Contribute heavily by buying Masses of happy meals, you're probably not eating, with all the toys, non-recyclable cups/packaging and then go to the hq knowing full well you'll get turned away by security.

I praise them for caring so much and trying to do something about a problem, but I'm never a fan of stunts.

BTW isn't it obvious security would be used to get them and the trolleys full of plastic waste away from their building? What else could happen? The only real bad thing is no senior manager speaks to them. Perhaps take away the trash and we'll talk being a better approach.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

You guys are making me hungry.
robing

Post by robing »

This morning I am having a cheeseburger, small fries, apple slices, orange juice and large cappuccino all for 6.80€ . Even a little kiddies book in German :D
Sat outside next to my bike.