The Recycling Myth?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
nez

Re: The Recycling Myth?

Post by nez »

Mick F wrote:Supermarkets are the biggest offenders.
interestingly, when I spent some time in Bavaria almost *40* years ago, there was a regulation that big stores had to take packaging back from you - you could dump it in a big bin before you left the shop. We don’t seem to have rushed into anything similar.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I believe that when you buy an electrical appliance the shop is obliged to take your old appliance and recycle it.
The assistants in Argos refused to accept this or my defunct TV.
Can anybody confirm my belief?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mike Sales wrote:I believe that when you buy an electrical appliance the shop is obliged to take your old appliance and recycle it.

https://www.gov.uk/electricalwaste-producer-supplier-responsibilities/take-back-waste-in-store wrote:Electrical waste: retailer and distributor responsibilities

Too much to quote but specifies the retailers responsibilities. I'd show the retailer the document and then charge them for getting back to the store (given you've already given them the opportunity and they forced you to return a 2nd time)

Ian
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Psamathe wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:I believe that when you buy an electrical appliance the shop is obliged to take your old appliance and recycle it.

https://www.gov.uk/electricalwaste-producer-supplier-responsibilities/take-back-waste-in-store wrote:Electrical waste: retailer and distributor responsibilities

Too much to quote but specifies the retailers responsibilities. I'd show the retailer the document and then charge them for getting back to the store (given you've already given them the opportunity and they forced you to return a 2nd time)

Ian

Thanks.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

pete75 wrote:
mattheus wrote:They could be working in mining, or motorsport, or fast food, and done the same sort of damage - idiots are idiots.

Trying to blame the recycling industry is clutching at straws*

(which will no doubt be recycled : D )

Who's clutching at straws in trying to blame the recycling industry? I mentioned one particular firm which may well have done more harm than good.. Do you not know the difference between the particular and the general?

Well I think I do - but feel free to explain it to me if you feel motivated!

The point here is that in the context of the "The Recycling Myth", posting a story about recycling-gone-wrong could be construed as "evidence" that recycling isn't working. Sometime people post things with a strong, unspoken implication ...
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mattheus wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mattheus wrote:They could be working in mining, or motorsport, or fast food, and done the same sort of damage - idiots are idiots.

Trying to blame the recycling industry is clutching at straws*

(which will no doubt be recycled : D )

Who's clutching at straws in trying to blame the recycling industry? I mentioned one particular firm which may well have done more harm than good.. Do you not know the difference between the particular and the general?

Well I think I do - but feel free to explain it to me if you feel motivated!

The point here is that in the context of the "The Recycling Myth", posting a story about recycling-gone-wrong could be construed as "evidence" that recycling isn't working. Sometime people post things with a strong, unspoken implication ...

And some people completely misconstrue what someone has said and then attack them for it.

What you've done is conflate my criticism of a single recycle company into a criticism of the whole industry.
Last edited by pete75 on 21 Aug 2019, 11:31am, edited 1 time in total.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Reported in todays Guardian:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/aug/20/amazon-under-fire-for-new-packaging-that-cant-be-recycled wrote:Amazon under fire for new packaging that cannot be recycled
Amazon has been criticised by environmental groups and customers after introducing a range of plastic packaging that cannot be recycled in the UK.

While supermarkets and other retailers have been reducing their use of single use plastics, the world’s biggest online retailer has started sending small items in plastic envelopes, seemingly to allow more parcels to be loaded on to each delivery truck.

Another example where profit is more important than doing the best for the world. Our politicians and their mantra of "self-regulation" and "market forces" is nothing more that an enabler for higher profits for companies. Time the country started making it unprofitable for such practices through strict regulation and taxation.

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Thge BBC have an article today on how many pieces of old tech you have stored away in draws and cuboards

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49409055

Well I have lots but I need/use all of mine. My "newest" laptop, bought 2 years ago now, was a 2012 HP2560p Elitebook cost me just £95 with a 10/12" screen and sim card slot and gps. A nice machine. and pretty fast.( enough). My oldest are minidisc decks and portables and old pocket pcs that are still useful for simple mapping, and beat smartphones in having the type of screen( but a colour one) found on original kindles ie can use day light to augment the brightness, so the brighter it is the better! I rarely buy new tech these days.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Am I the only one who washes plastic bags to reuse with the dish water :P
Am I one of the few without a dishwasher machine.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

I don't have a dishwasher (never had one). I hardly ever use hot water (only for showers). I'm still using the "single use plastic supermarket bags" from before the charge was introduced (though I do have fewer now than I used to have), etc.

Ian
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Psamathe wrote:

I don't have a dishwasher (never had one). I hardly ever use hot water (only for showers). I'm still using the "single use plastic supermarket bags" from before the charge was introduced (though I do have fewer now than I used to have), etc.

Ian

I wash bread plastic bags rather than throw them, I bin them when they have holes, use them to store stuff in the fridge.
I make my own bread but err in doors like soft bread for her teeth, mine are all mine so I can crunch the toast and chew when its stale :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm the dishwasher in this house.
I too wash out the plazzy bags.
Mick F. Cornwall
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, I must confess to having a dishwasher! But she goes under the title of "SWMBO" :wink: . IGICB MM
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Recycling is connected with a lot of motor crime, at the tip near me vehicles often wait illegally on pavement or cycle lane
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies