Is Trump Mad?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Is Trump Mad?

yes
65%
no
25%
maybe
6%
maybe not
2%
dont know
2%

Total votes: 143

Tangled Metal

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Post by Tangled Metal »

Oldjohnw wrote:Greenland isn't for sale. But I suspect that the UK might well be, soon enough.

Has been for many decades. America held the debts for so long following wwii. Middle East oil mains buy up a lot, largest UK landlord is a Danish clothing entrepreneur. In the past middle Eastern nations or Japan invested in the UK. Now its a mix of China and various European countries through utility business buy up.

That's just businesses and finance. That is not the same as buying up a region of a country so it becomes part of your nation. Such as what created the US Virgin Islands. In the past Britain was the buying country. If not buying they conquered land.

The days of buying land and a population are over. It's a bit of nonsense to bring it up. As said it's a ploy by trump to generate a reason to back out of a visit once he heard Obama was also visiting Denmark / Greenland. It's very bad form to formally request from the Danish monarchy for a formal state visit only to cancel it with such bad form. It's making USA come across in an even worse light diplomatically.
kylecycler

Re: Is "The Chosen One" Mad?

Post by kylecycler »

Psamathe wrote:What is TDS? Not heard of it and search engines give no clue.

Ian

Trump Derangement Syndrome. It's ok, there would be something seriously wrong with you if you didn't have it.
Psamathe

Re: Is "The Chosen One" Mad?

Post by Psamathe »

kylecycler wrote:
Psamathe wrote:What is TDS? Not heard of it and search engines give no clue.

Ian

Trump Derangement Syndrome. It's ok, there would be something seriously wrong with you if you didn't have it.

I was not suggesting that what others were say was going to happen but they do make a good case that fits.

My personal unqualified opinion is that there is something wrong with the guy (maybe something serious). I'm unsure if it is extreme character flaws or something serious/medical. When he starts referring to himself as "The Chosen One" (with all the connotations the term has), when he makes speeches and cannot pronounce certain words e.g. when he could not pronounce the word "origins" and it kept coming out as "oranges", when he starts talking about serving as president for 14 more years (he's President, isn't he aware of their constitution), slurred speech, etc. Danish PM was firm but polite and yet Trump's now going on “She’s talking to the United States of America. You don’t talk to the United States that way, at least under me,” - it's beyond daft and his own officials end-up trying to patch over his stupidity.

Ian
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

A qualified medical opinion (among many others) agrees with you, Psamathe - scroll down the link for the video interview with Dr. Lance Dodes, former assistant psychiatry professor at Harvard Medical School (I saw it earlier this afternoon):

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-mental-i ... bc-1455644
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kylecycler wrote:A qualified medical opinion (among many others) agrees with you, Psamathe - scroll down the link for the video interview with Dr. Lance Dodes, former assistant psychiatry professor at Harvard Medical School (I saw it earlier this afternoon):

Dr L Dodes is spot on,it's not rocket science.
Look at the man's history,watch his presidential campaign speaches,it says it all just what this imbecilic rich moron is.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

reohn2 wrote:
kylecycler wrote:A qualified medical opinion (among many others) agrees with you, Psamathe - scroll down the link for the video interview with Dr. Lance Dodes, former assistant psychiatry professor at Harvard Medical School (I saw it earlier this afternoon):

Dr L Dodes is spot on,it's not rocket science.
Look at the man's history,watch his presidential campaign speaches,it says it all just what this imbecilic rich moron is.

Medical opinions concerning "the mad" are entirely cultural constructs, though but. One age's madman is another's Great Hero. Was Genghis mad? How about Napoleon? Churchill? All of them exhibited behaviours that, in different contexts, could be regarded as psychotic. Great Heroes and Leadermen are often indistinguishable from crazy loons except by the degree of their popularity and the PR used to describe them.

The so-called Great Events of history are populated with, and centred on, the often horrible acts of madmen with loadsapower. Many in Yankland believe Trump to be a Great Leader, not merely because he himself says so but because they admire his behaviour. Such "madness" is, in various times and places, a popular norm.

I believe a more general term is "human nature". As the godbotherers rightly note, we are all fallen sinners as soon as we pop out into the world. Only some manage to avoid the worst excesses. Many contribute to these excesses but in that passive mode of either supporting or not disabling the Great Leader Madmen. That's probably me and you, that is.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Cugel wrote:Medical opinions concerning "the mad" are entirely cultural constructs,

Unless there is some sort of brain damage, physical decay or chemical imbalance, in which case the behaviour is a symptom.

Recently, I have begun to think that Trump's behaviour might be a symptom. It isn't unknown for US presidents to continue with cognitive malfunctions that would rule them out of most other jobs.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

bovlomov wrote:
Cugel wrote:Medical opinions concerning "the mad" are entirely cultural constructs,

Unless there is some sort of brain damage, physical decay or chemical imbalance, in which case the behaviour is a symptom.

Recently, I have begun to think that Trump's behaviour might be a symptom. It isn't unknown for US presidents to continue with cognitive malfunctions that would rule them out of most other jobs.

True, true. But Trump has always acted like he does now, his whole life - if the various reports are to be be believed. His behaviours are the same but perhaps amplified by the power he now wields.

Those who do have a brain rot or other cause of strange behaviour are not often dangerous as they cannot function at many basic levels. People with brain damage, or even some functional/chemical glitch, are often condemned as "dangerous because mad" but are anything but. Trump and his ilk are a different kettle of fish. They are all too human, performing in human ways that are commonplace throughout history and geography amongst the common folk as well as the Great Leaders.

Given the right press upon our mental buttons, me and you could become monsters quite rapidly. Ask any soldier or person caught up in a revolution, a tribal conflict (e.g. NI, The Baltics, The Middle East and most of the planet) or just out for the night & drunk in a savage part of the city.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Tangled Metal wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Greenland isn't for sale. But I suspect that the UK might well be, soon enough.

Has been for many decades. America held the debts for so long following wwii. Middle East oil mains buy up a lot, largest UK landlord is a Danish clothing entrepreneur. In the past middle Eastern nations or Japan invested in the UK. Now its a mix of China and various European countries through utility business buy up.

That's just businesses and finance. That is not the same as buying up a region of a country so it becomes part of your nation. Such as what created the US Virgin Islands. In the past Britain was the buying country. If not buying they conquered land.

The days of buying land and a population are over. It's a bit of nonsense to bring it up. As said it's a ploy by trump to generate a reason to back out of a visit once he heard Obama was also visiting Denmark / Greenland. It's very bad form to formally request from the Danish monarchy for a formal state visit only to cancel it with such bad form. It's making USA come across in an even worse light diplomatically.

I like the "alleged" reply:
“Leif the Lucky discovered America, and his father Eric the Red discovered Greenland and settled there. Therefore, it is only natural for us to get the United States back.”

According to Politiken, Kielsen states he hasn’t decided how much money to spend on the US. The amount, though, will be fairly low, given the immense US national debt. “And if Trump is included, the price will be even lower,” the “quote” continues.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Guy walks into the pub looks up into the Sky, raises their hands in the air and declares that they are “ The Chosen One”

Just saying like .....
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

The white invaders did not bother to pay the original inhabitants of their country: they drove them off and confined them to reservations.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Mike Sales wrote:The white invaders did not bother to pay the original inhabitants of their country: they drove them off and confined them to reservations.

They hunted down and murdered mostly. Full genocide albeit dragged out over a few decades, employing a variety of methods.

The USA has a very bad history indeed. It's as though they looked at 2000 years of evil doings in Europe then tried to emulate & compress them all into a couple of centuries.

And they ain't finished yet! No siree!!

They'll be the end of us all.

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cugel wrote: ........?They'll be the end of us all.

Cugel

They'll certainly do their damndest to try.Nutters!
A bit like this septic isle if you think about it :?

Trump is as mad as a hatter,along with most of the politrickal elite in that country.
A bit like this septic tank if you think about it :?

And now for a short musical interlude

https://youtu.be/WxwuREshSHM
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Worth a listen for an overview of the way the USA,and the UK FTM,is heading politically:- https://youtu.be/edicDsSwYpk
W H Auden
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Cunobelin wrote:Guy walks into the pub looks up into the Sky, raises their hands in the air and declares that they are “ The Chosen One”

Just saying like .....

Many years ago, there used to be a chap who would ride up and down the High Street on a moped. As he passed a certain pub, he would shout "You won't win anything on the one-arm bandit! Can you hear me, Prince Charles?"

To think someone like him could be president of the USA.