Bike Size Advice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Dodgyscouser

Bike Size Advice

Post by Dodgyscouser »

Completely new to cycling, well not new new, but it's been quite a few years....about 30 since I last rode!

I've been looking at getting a bike (MTB), mainly for exercise and losing a bit of weight as there are a few trails /cycle paths near me, light terrain, nothing major. I'm not looking to spend a fortune but I've pretty much decided on what I want.

The problem I'm having is that because we are near the end of season (which is good for me from a cost perspective), trying to find what I want in the right size is proving difficult. I also appear to be 'between' bike sizes? so it's creating a bit of consternation (and overthinking on my part), so the question is really one of size *cough*;

I'm looking at CUBE Aim range, Pro/Race/SL (black/yellow / black/red or grey/blue) and I appear to be in the top end of the M/18" frame bracket (Height 177cm / 5'10, Leg 82cm / 32.5'). Different sites seem to offer different advice based on my stats and I really don't get the detailed geometry on cubes site.

e.g. https://www.rutlandcycling.com/content/mountain-bike-size-guide.aspx#height - states Medium/Large, but Tredz shows ideally Medium, but I gather these are generic.

I also found on a few other cycling forums that Cube frames size up small:

I've found the AIM Pro/SL in the colour I want for a reasonably good price, but they only have them in the 19"/29er and stupidly to get it in 18"/27.5 it's about £150 more expensive from another supplier (where I can't get discount)

Am I going to notice that much difference ride/stance wise? If' I plumped for the 19/29er am I going to ride thinking it's too big for me?

Cheers
Last edited by Dodgyscouser on 12 Aug 2019, 7:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brucey

Re: Bike Size Advice

Post by Brucey »

if you are intending to tackle challenging offroad conditions then there is something to be said for using as small a frame as you can get away with; this will provide you with maximum standover clearance. However on the road/easier trails a larger frame size will often do just as well; the main difference between M and L sizes is the forward reach and swapping stems about can adjust that too. If you are 'between sizes' you have the choice and because different brands are sized differently you might need an M in one brand and be better off with an L in another.

So try before you buy and make sure that what you are intending to buy suits you.

hth

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dodgyscouser

Post by Dodgyscouser »

Brucey wrote:if you are intending to tackle challenging offroad conditions then there is something to be said for using as small a frame as you can get away with; this will provide you with maximum standover clearance. However on the road/easier trails a larger frame size will often do just as well; the main difference between M and L sizes is the forward reach and swapping stems about can adjust that too. If you are 'between sizes' you have the choice and because different brands are sized differently you might need an M in one brand and be better off with an L in another.

So try before you buy and make sure that what you are intending to buy suits you.

hth

cheers

Thanks for the advice.

I don't think I'll be going as far as challenging conditions, probably more towards the road/easier trails. When I say between sizes it's only what I've picked up from reading around, more likely here I'm at the very top of the M/18" frame, but what I didn't know is if that's a good or bad thing e.g. seat and handlebars out at max. I've looked at my reach (or ape index I've read) and it's near enough the same as my height 179cm span vs 177cm height, which I thought would help, but I don't think it does lol (as I understand it, if your span is shorter you go for the smaller frame size)

Difficulty I'm also having is my lbs's don't tend to stock cube, so I'm buying online, although there is one but it's about 30mi out.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

If riding roads/trails do you need suspension at all? Ever thought of a gravel (or whatever you want to call it)bike?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IMHO a 30 mile trip is small beer by comparison with the aggro of ending up with a bike the wrong size because you didn't try it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~