London Bike Fitter

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
WOT

London Bike Fitter

Post by WOT »

1st post, good evening all.

Could anybody recommend a bike fitter in London please?

I’ve got a hybrid Trek that i’ve commuted on for a couple of years with the occasional 30-50 mile Sunday spin. Recently i’m increasing my mileage with the result of some back pain.

Someone used to setting up relaxed, trekking style bikes is what i’m after ideally. When I searched earlier a lot of the focus was on road bikes.
hayers

Re: London Bike Fitter

Post by hayers »

Think you will be lucky to find such a beast - bike fitting is generally aimed at "sporty" riding on a road bike.

Take a look at the notes linked on Colin 531's signature - I followed that advice with great success a few years back after a bike fit got me a setup which felt great for a fast hour ride, but was no good for longer gentle-paced day ride and touring.

Also, are you sure it's riding the bike causing the pain - i find manhandling the bike, especially with any luggage on, difficult to do in a back friendly way...

Hth & good luck
WOT

Post by WOT »

Thanks,

I didn’t manage to find any post from Colin531 but will search again later.

I believe the pain is as a result of hills when I ride for more than an hour; I can feel it coming on during and shortly after the steeper inclines that I stay seated for.

If it was just muscle soreness that would eventually settle down as I get stronger I can deal with that, i’m just reluctant to do my back in unnecessarily.

I read on another thread that a physiotherapist might be just good.

You make a good point about my pre and post cycle workout. My bike is quite heavy and 3 flights of narrow stairs are challenging. That being said i’ve had the bike in and out 100’s of times so i’m thinking it’s unrelated.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

WOT wrote:... I didn’t manage to find any post from Colin531 but will search again later...

I haven’t read it yet myself, but here’s the direct link:

https://wheel-easy.org.uk/wp-content/up ... -2017a.pdf
WOT

Post by WOT »

keyboardmonkey wrote:
WOT wrote:... I didn’t manage to find any post from Colin531 but will search again later...

I haven’t read it yet myself, but here’s the direct link:

https://wheel-easy.org.uk/wp-content/up ... -2017a.pdf

Superb, thank you both
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Is there any evidence that London bikes are fitter than those in the provinces?

O dear! I might have misread this post.
John