Ever been stopped at security at the ferry port?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
francovendee

Re: Ever been stopped at security at the ferry port?

Post by francovendee »

Stopped and searched at Portsmouth outbound. It was a 'Jobs Worth' who made us go through a scanner after making my wife and I take of our shoes. It was raining hard at the time and the floor was wet and filthy. My wife expressed her view to him and his response was.' We've stopped a lot of terrorists taking weapons on board'. He then pointed to a clear plastic box and inside was one small penknife an 2 pairs of scissors! :roll: :roll:
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Not quite the same but my car contents have been checked before getting on CalMac and Northlink ferries. CalMac were apparently doing random checks looking for empty fuel containers. Empty because I was heading off island. A great fire risk apparently but seems a bit daft as ferry full of cars with fuel tanks. Now CalMac avoid getting a load of aggro from me by just glancing in the back window with permission. Northlink more sensible as it was my motorhome and they just wanted to check that my gas cylinder was firmly turned off before the overnight journey.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

The only time I've had a quick search at a border was crossing out of the Ukraine into Poland.
Every other border crossing with guards, it's just been show my passport.

YMMV ............. :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tigerbiten wrote:The only time I've had a quick search at a border was crossing out of the Ukraine into Poland.
Every other border crossing with guards, it's just been show my passport.

YMMV ............. :D

The only times I've been searched have been at UK borders. I've crossed to/from Hungary, Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Switzerland and pre- EU Czechia by land with only passport checks, as well as a few airports to various places. It does make the UK seem incompetent, looking like they're doing random stops instead of having some idea who or what they're looking for.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

francovendee wrote:Stopped and searched at Portsmouth outbound. It was a 'Jobs Worth' who made us go through a scanner after making my wife and I take of our shoes. It was raining hard at the time and the floor was wet and filthy. My wife expressed her view to him and his response was.' We've stopped a lot of terrorists taking weapons on board'. He then pointed to a clear plastic box and inside was one small penknife an 2 pairs of scissors! :roll: :roll:

Well, give me some slip on shoes to go through the scanner with...

Or I’ll borrow two of these trays...

Much easier in a wheelchair. They still ask you to take off shoes, but I could anything in the chair.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.