Cycling related male personal problem

fatboy

Cycling related male personal problem

Post by fatboy »

I have a relatively recent issue in that if I do a long ride (3 hours plus) I get chaffing on the skin of my penis. I ride in lycra cycling shorts with no underpants and I ride drop barred tourer/audax so not full on, head down riding.

It's not terrible but irritating (figuratively and literally!) and I'd be willing to consider anything.

Has anyone else experienced this?
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
shobo

Re: Cycling related male personal problem

Post by shobo »

Unusual. A liberal dose of vaseline applied inside the shorts might help in the short term. Perhaps try a different, quality shorts with a different fit.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Despite it being something of a heresy I always wear underwear under cycling shorts ( obviously not "boxers" ).
I can cycle all day - multiple days without discomfort.
You could try that and see how you get on.
I'm not alone in this.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Actually the affected side is towards my body not the shorts side. Vaseline sounds a good idea. Also wearing pants could allow finer adjustment if you know what I mean! I'd need to check that I don't just move the problem to my backside!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Slather yourself with Conatrane cream(it's similar to Sudocream but about a third the cost)this will keep the skin lubricated and the cream is antiseptic.
Last edited by reohn2 on 14 Aug 2019, 12:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

+1 for lubricant with my recommendation being 'ButtonHole' chamois cream.

For many years since moving to recumbents I found that cycling shorts, whilst generally the most comfortable option, can ruck up between the legs and the dangly bits and rub the inside of my thighs. A moderate splodge of chamois cream means that this occasional rubbing no longer causes any scuffing or discomfort.

75 comfortable miles yeaterday :D
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

When washing do not use soap which removes the natural oils according to a gp and keep the area dry. May not work but worth a try.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Chamois cream, for all your chafing bits.

https://www.assos.com/chamois-creme-boxf-20
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

It’s not compulsory to wear Lycra shorts of course. Some get by with baggies and removable or no pads, even on road bikes. This is a very personal thing but it works for me whereas I tended to sweat heavily in Lycra. Obviously saddles and type of ride have an impact as well.
Pilot Pete

Post by Pilot Pete »

Are your shorts close fitting? If they are a little on the loose side this will allow excess, erm, how can I put it, movement of your man bits! I find correctly fitting (by which I mean quite close) keeps everything in check. I’m not sure the recommendation to chamois cream directly on your old man is sound - many have a slight ‘irritant’ feel (that tingling, cooling feel you get when they are applied) which could cause issues itself if it gets anywhere near the end of your manhood!

PP
georgew

Post by georgew »

Before I stopped cycling I used to swear by Udder cream, usually sold in farm supply shops. This contained a powerful bacteriacide, castor oil, and various other ingredients to soothe the skin. In over thirty years I never had any problems with chafing.......and as a bonus, my milk production went up. 8)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

This stuff I assume you mean george.

https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Battles-Udd ... gIlZ_D_BwE

from a supplier which, bizxarely, claims to cater for the concerns of everything from horses to pigeons.

On your original post OP, sounds odd. If your issue was with the perinium I could perhaps help more after an unfortunate, long passed and solved issue.

Without getting too presonal, I trust you shower/bathe before every ride?
Sweep
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Sweep wrote:
Without getting too presonal, I trust you shower/bathe before every ride?

No I don't before every ride but do regularly shower.

"Are your shorts close fitting? If they are a little on the loose side this will allow excess, erm, how can I put it, movement of your man bits".

This is an interesting one. Since I've expanded in my midriff I've needed to go from L to XL to prevent waistband roll! This does however lead to a bit more room!

I think a lotion is in order. I'll ponder some alternatives to sudocreme (too thick I find).
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the reply fatboy and for taking my post in the spirit in which it was meant.

I think you should, see how it goes.

Must admit your issue seems unusual.

Unless you are particularly blessed and your appendages are causing front mech shifting problems.
Sweep
cotterpins

Post by cotterpins »

georgew wrote:Before I stopped cycling I used to swear by Udder cream, usually sold in farm supply shops. This contained a powerful bacteriacide, castor oil, and various other ingredients to soothe the skin. In over thirty years I never had any problems with chafing.......and as a bonus, my milk production went up. 8)

what with one thing, and the udder, it sounds a fair idea!