The "Royals" Thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mattheus

Re: Poor Old Harry

Post by mattheus »

mercalia wrote:
mattheus wrote:The problem/dilemma is that they are both an (unelected) public official, and a human being.

They have responsiblities (and priviledges) from both aspects.

well if they want to be "royalty" they are not normal people any more - just like the Queen isnt; you dont see her hobknobbing with Elton John or paedos? If they want to behave like movie stars or celebs then give up their "royal" titles and stop being supported or getting any cash from the state?

I agree that the Queen sets a fine example. :chapeau:

But as for "normal people" ... well, I did specifically write "human being". You can't turn off human instincts just by labelling someone "royal". Or "not normal" !
mercalia

Re: Poor Old Harry

Post by mercalia »

mercalia

Re: Poor Old Harry or Andrew

Post by mercalia »

I was in Lidl doing some shopping and waiting at the self service things I glanced at the news stand where the smut rags were parodying that old rhyme - The Grand old Duke of York.."

Oh, the grand old Duke of York
He had ten thousand men
He marched them up to the top of the hill
And he marched them down again
And when they were up, they were up
And when they were down, they were down
And when they were only half-way up
They were neither up nor down

seems like Andy has had 1000 women but none below the age of consent it was headlined.

I wont ask people here to reinvent the rhyme publically, just do it in private :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Re: Poor Old Harry or Andrew

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:I was in Lidl doing some shopping and waiting at the self service things I glanced at the news stand where the smut rags were parodying that old rhyme - The Grand old Duke of York.."

Oh, the grand old Duke of York
He had ten thousand men
He marched them up to the top of the hill
And he marched them down again
And when they were up, they were up
And when they were down, they were down
And when they were only half-way up
They were neither up nor down

seems like Andy has had 1000 women but none below the age of consent it was headlined.

I wont ask people here to reinvent the rhyme publically, just do it in private :wink:

Please to put posts about the Minor Royals behind a paywall :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Re: Poor Old Harry or Andy

Post by Psamathe »

As we've digressed to Andy, it beggars belief the daft excuses he's now coming up with.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/epstein-prince-andrew-sex-paedophile-suicide-royal-family-duke-of-york-a9077431.html wrote:During the time I knew him, I saw him infrequently and probably no more than only once or twice a year....

So he went for 13 months (missing maybe 2 visits he would normally have made) and didn't wonder why ... like Epstein was in prison. And after that did Andy not ask why his friend was in prison? Did he thing that the offence Epstein has been found guilty of didn't really matter?
andy had a massively expensive education (ultimately paid for by public money). He's supposed to be part of our ruling class yet shows such total lack of judgement of any sort of appreciation for what he was doing.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/epstein-prince-andrew-sex-paedophile-suicide-royal-family-duke-of-york-a9077431.html wrote:"...and I can only reiterate my regret that I was mistaken to think that what I thought I knew of him was evidently not the real person, given what we now know.

So after Epstein's time in court followed by Epstein's time in prison Andy still thought he'd disregard the judgement that put Epstein in prison because he knew the man better (though now admits maybe he didn't). What arrogance to consider his own opinion above that of the court's.

But I do think it gives a good indication as to why that family should not be getting any public money and should not regard us as their subjects.

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Re: rich young Coburgs/Hannovers/Windsors

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Lots of speculation, we know next to nothing about the Coburgs, sorry, Windsors, maybe they are not much different from us, except for being rich and having lots of opportunities
We have speculated about what if John Smith had become PM, but
What if the Princess of Hearts were still alive?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Doesn't citizen A. Windsor have the nous to wonder why this creepy rich American is being so nice to him?
Surely someone in his position should be accustomed to shady types sidling up to him to gain a bit of reflected glory?
If the slimy creep already has a conviction for kiddy fiddling then the alarm bells should be loud.
If the "Prince" is just the same as me and you, why is it he is in line for the throne, and I am not?
The only, threadbare justification for monarchy must be that by heredity and upbringing these twerps should do the job they are in line for well. If they can't manage that, then let them make their own way in the world like any "commoner".
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I'm wondering, where's Edward in all this? I mean E2R's youngest? You don't hear much about him. Maybe he's got more commonsense and is keeping a low profile. Unlike the other E2R male sprogs, wasn't made a duke, he's Earl of somewhere-or-other, that's all. Perhaps being a lower-ranking noble has helped him keep his head clear?

Or maybe someone will tell me I'm wrong....?

As to Andrew, he's a creep. No other word for him I'm afraid. Not just Epstein but hobnobbing with unsavoury Saudis etc. Shows how useless royal 'families' are.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

This comes, at least in part , with not having any kind of role in life but buckets full of money.
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/nov/30/prince-andrew-wikileaks-cables wrote:WikiLeaks cables: Prince Andrew demanded special BAE briefing

Soon after, believing he [Andrew] was speaking in private to a group of sympathetic British businessmen, he appeared to condone bribery, and scorned the work of the SFO's anti-corruption investigators in investigating the Saudi royal family.
Two senior SFO sources confirmed that BAE case-handlers had protested in strong terms at the time at the request for a briefing by Prince Andrew
Yesterday, the Guardian reported how US ambassador Tatiana Gfoeller reported back to Washington on her shocking encounter with the British royal in Kyrgyzstan: "Rude language à la British … [Andrew] turned to the general issue of promoting British economic interests abroad. He railed at British anticorruption investigators, who had had the 'idiocy' of almost scuttling the al-Yamama deal with Saudi Arabia."

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Well I cant see Meghan flying budget like the other royals did from Norwich to Scotland? ( Was it Willam & Kate?) Not in the her blood? Have money will travel? So expect more of these type of stories? makes me wonder if this will end up in divorce also, when she gets tired of playing the royal role?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I think that when my Queen has gone .. and possibly her son Charles has had his time .. we should just move on .... no dissolution, no act of parliament, ..just an end to things ..
William can be King but without any connection with the state ... any connection at all ... no money from the state ... they have enough, and no spiteful revenge on them or their house ... just let it go ......
Their time is over ... my oath of allegiance covers heirs and successors, maybe we could be released from that oath ... it's a heavy one ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

landsurfer wrote:I think that when my Queen has gone .. and possibly her son Charles has had his time .. we should just move on .... no dissolution, no act of parliament, ..just an end to things ..
William can be King but without any connection with the state ... any connection at all ... no money from the state ... they have enough, and no spiteful revenge on them or their house ... just let it go ......
Their time is over ... my oath of allegiance covers heirs and successors, maybe we could be released from that oath ... it's a heavy one ...

The King of Nothing ):
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

A retir High Court judge in his recently completed autobiography recalled the Queen at a BH garden party. The weather was inclement so the riff raff were allowed under the Royal and VIP canvas. She said that afterwards they discovered that a number of gold teaspoons were missing, making, apparently, a straightforward connection.

Equally possible, IMV, is that the hereditary wealthy would have realigned ownership of the Royal trinkets: this is, after all, largely how they got their lands and wealth in the first place. Pillage and plunder and Royal reward for killing the most people.

Protecting the Royal Firm is not a new activity.
John
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

landsurfer wrote:William can be King but without any connection with the state ... any connection at all ... no money from the state ...
Nothing at all?

Well one Good Thing would certainly come out of that - the seven Sinn Féin MPs might at last be persuaded to take up their seats in Parliament. Might shift the balance....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).