Are there any bike computers that do pace rather than speed?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
hercule

Are there any bike computers that do pace rather than speed?

Post by hercule »

I’m looking for a bike computer that will tell me my pace in minutes per mile to mount on my kickbike where comparisons with running rather than cycling at more meaningful. Are there any that will do this? Sadly my Garmin Edge 810 won’t. I could strap my running watch to the bars but then I lose the wrist based heart rate function. I don’t mind if it’s old fashioned wired, wireless or new fangled GPS! I know I could set up my Garmin to do 1 mile splits but it’s the instantaneous pace I’m looking for.
keyboardmonkey

Re: Are there any bike computers that do pace rather than speed?

Post by keyboardmonkey »

hercule wrote:... I could strap my running watch to the bars but then I lose the wrist based heart rate function...

Forgive me, but why don’t you just ride your bike whilst wearing your wristwatch? That’s what I do now I have a Garmin watch.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Closest I can think of is set lap distance to point one of a mile and have a field showing lap distance time.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
hercule

Post by hercule »

keyboardmonkey wrote:
hercule wrote:... I could strap my running watch to the bars but then I lose the wrist based heart rate function...

Forgive me, but why don’t you just ride your bike whilst wearing your wristwatch? That’s what I do now I have a Garmin watch.

I do, but I can’t see it easily - taking a hand off the handlebars whilst working hard on a kickbike is a non-trivial matter for me - potentially that means only one hand and one foot in contact with the machine which makes for a severe case of the wobbles or worse.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

If you have an iPhone, the MapOut app can display min/mile - but it's GPS based (not wheel sensor) and you'll need a bar fixing and then battery life with the screen on all the time .....

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If you have a Mac, download Ascent.
That will tell you speed or pace, plus many other things, but you need a GPS device to connect up after your rides.

https://download.cnet.com/developer/montebello-software
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:If you have a Mac, download Ascent.
That will tell you speed or pace, plus many other things, but you need a GPS device to connect up after your rides.

If you have a Mac and keep it up-to-date (e.g. for security) then Ascent will die in a month or so. No longer a maintained app that is only 32 bit (and next macOS will only support 64 bit apps).

Ian
hercule

Post by hercule »

Problem solved. I’m looking at this the wrong way. Strap a second running watch to the handebars and broadcast wrist heart rate from my Garmin. I’ve got an old Polar in the drawer which should do the trick - if the Garmin doesn’t broadcast on Bluetooth I have an equally old Polar heart rate belt I can use. Or alternatively just strap the Garmin to the handlebars and wear the heart rate strap.

Engage brain before posting :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Psamathe wrote:

If you have a Mac and keep it up-to-date (e.g. for security) then Ascent will die in a month or so. No longer a maintained app that is only 32 bit (and next macOS will only support 64 bit apps).

Ian
I quote emails from me and from Rob Bowyer himself. Designed it and produced it. March of this year.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=122048
I had some problems, and he assured me that all's ok.

Hi Rob,
I have been in contact with you on and off over the years regarding one issue or another.
I absolutely love Ascent, and nothing I’ve tried comes anywhere near the functionality and simplicity of the program. I have tracks on Ascent going back for years and years.
My MacBook is at Sierra 10.12.6 and if I upgrade to High Sierra, Ascent doesn’t work so well, so I downgraded back to Sierra to keep Ascent running properly. As far as I know, it won’t work at all with Mojave.
My Ascent version is 1.11.9
Is there another version, or anything I can do that will keep me going if I upgrade my Mac?
Best wishes from UK.

Hi Mick
I am running Ascent on Mojave - and not seeing any issues. What problems were you seeing on High Sierra?
It’s been years since I’ve worked on the program, I simply ran out of time. I would like to “modernize” it at some point, and rewrite large parts of it. Not sure when this will be possible.
In any case, thanks for contacting me - hopefully we can at least get you running again.
-Rob

As it happens, I left my computer at Sierra 10.12.6 as everything works perfectly. We have an iMac that is even older than this MacBookAir and that can't go any higher than Yosemite 10.10.5 and that still works perfectly too ............ Ascent included of course. Mrs Mick F's MacBook Air is still at Yosemite even though it's newer than mine!

Why upgrade if things work?

If and when we buy a new Mac or more, I'll be keeping the older ones just for Ascent ......... if it doesn't work after Mojave and beyond.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian
I quote emails from me and from Rob Bowyer himself. Designed it and produced it. March of this year.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=122048
I had some problems, and he assured me that all's ok.

Hi Rob,
I have been in contact with you on and off over the years regarding one issue or another.
I absolutely love Ascent, and nothing I’ve tried comes anywhere near the functionality and simplicity of the program. I have tracks on Ascent going back for years and years.
My MacBook is at Sierra 10.12.6 and if I upgrade to High Sierra, Ascent doesn’t work so well, so I downgraded back to Sierra to keep Ascent running properly. As far as I know, it won’t work at all with Mojave.
My Ascent version is 1.11.9
Is there another version, or anything I can do that will keep me going if I upgrade my Mac?
Best wishes from UK.

Hi Mick
I am running Ascent on Mojave - and not seeing any issues. What problems were you seeing on High Sierra?
It’s been years since I’ve worked on the program, I simply ran out of time. I would like to “modernize” it at some point, and rewrite large parts of it. Not sure when this will be possible.
In any case, thanks for contacting me - hopefully we can at least get you running again.
-Rob

As it happens, I left my computer at Sierra 10.12.6 as everything works perfectly. We have an iMac that is even older than this MacBookAir and that can't go any higher than Yosemite 10.10.5 and that still works perfectly too ............ Ascent included of course. Mrs Mick F's MacBook Air is still at Yosemite even though it's newer than mine!

Why upgrade if things work?

If and when we buy a new Mac or more, I'll be keeping the older ones just for Ascent ......... if it doesn't work after Mojave and beyond.

Mainly to keep them working. Security vulnerabilities are closed, new devices often require moderately recent software (e.g. apps on e.g. iPhone need bug fixes and tend to only be supported on current and previous major versions).

Next macOS is a bigger functionality jump than previous (which was more performance focused). E.g. iTunes is going (at last).

Every OS has bugs and vulnerabilities and developers don't continue supporting old OSs for long as they want to make use of new frameworks to keep their own app with high functionality and keep people buying it.

The security vulnerabilities is a very important aspect these days.

MS-DOS worked but there are not many people still sing it.

Ian
RickH

Post by RickH »

If you have a compatible Garmin watch you can display the data from that on a compatible Edge head unit using "Extended Display". It is mainly intended for Triathletes so they just record on one device but I would expect that the feature could be re-purposed.

DCRainmaker wrote:What Edge units does this support?

The feature is available on the Edge 130, 520 Plus, 530, 820, 830, and 1030.

What watches work with this?

It’s currently on the Forerunner 245/245 Music, FR645/645 Music, FR735XT, FR935, FR945, Fenix 5 Series, Fenix 5 Plus Series, Fenix Chronos, and MARQ watches. I haven’t checked things like the Descent, though I suspect it works there too. I would not expect to see it in non-multisport low end range watches, but would expect it for any future multisport watches.

DCRainmaker explains it in greater detail here.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

There's a data field available on the Garmin IQ app store called "Bike Pace Field". I've not used it, but it claims to do exactly what you want.
RickH

Post by RickH »

A further thought - if your Garmin watch will do everything you want fixed to your handlebars, apart from heart rate, the cheapest/simplest solution might be just to get a standalone heart strap (either a chest strap or an arm one, both are available) to use while on the kickbike.

3 wrist ones are compared here.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
hercule

Post by hercule »

Thanks for the replies... I do have an old Garmin strap (I think it might have come with my Edge 810) so the strap-watch-to-handlebars method seems the most practical. Somewhere I even have a rubber mount for just that purpose!