Bells on bikes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
John Holiday

Bells on bikes

Post by John Holiday »

Just enjoyed a few hours cycling on traffic free NCN route on the Wirral. Hundreds of cyclists and pedestrians out enjoying the sunshine.
Strangely I appeared to be virtually the only cyclist equipped with a bell. All my bikes are fitted with 'Dutch style ding/dong bells,which often elicit favourable comment.
I also have a mirror,but was frequently overtaken by Roadies flying past without warning. Pedestrians are particularly vulnerable.
Why are people so reluctant to fit an audible warning device? Use of a bell would certainly generate a more favourable perception among other users.
Share with care!
Mike Sales

Re: Bells on bikes

Post by Mike Sales »

John Holiday wrote:Just enjoyed a few hours cycling on traffic free NCN route on the Wirral. Hundreds of cyclists and pedestrians out enjoying the sunshine.
Strangely I appeared to be virtually the only cyclist equipped with a bell. All my bikes are fitted with 'Dutch style ding/dong bells,which often elicit favourable comment.
I also have a mirror,but was frequently overtaken by Roadies flying past without warning. Pedestrians are particularly vulnerable.
Why are people so reluctant to fit an audible warning device? Use of a bell would certainly generate a more favourable perception among other users.
Share with care!

I find that an appropriate message can be more easily and politely delivered vocally.
I would not think of pushing past someone with only a ding, ding, I like to be sure that my message has been received before overtaking.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Imagine the carnage a single e-bike would have (allegedly) caused.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The AirZound.....

RIng bell

Ring bell again

"Excuse me"

"EXCUSE ME"

EXCUSE ME!

Air Zound, and let them dance the funky pedestrian!
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cunobelin wrote:The AirZound.....

RIng bell

Ring bell again

"Excuse me"

"EXCUSE ME"

EXCUSE ME!

I know the funky chicken dance, aka "dad-dancing". Is this pedestrian one as elegant and attractive to comely lady-wimmin'?

A nice ting of the bell from 50 yards back is usually plenty to gain the attention of a walker in front. Some ignore it but for these I slow, stop and engage in a pleasant conversation, eventually pepped up a bit with a little orthogonal dig about good manners. "I like to let walkers know I'm there with a nice ding-ding in plenty of time, as a wheel up the crevice is liked by no one but the perverse." Or similar.

Thrusting Strava-strivers in such a situation are tiresome. I have chased one or two down, at times when the path clears of walkers, just to give it a leksha. They don't like it .... but I do. Just another wee hobby really. :-)

I think you and your horn are quite rude, by the way. Consider yourself leksha'd. Oh yes you are!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
mjr

Post by mjr »

They're probably reluctant to use bells because of all the criticism from CTC types who think bawling at walkers cryptic stuff like "Anya Wright" is more polite than a melodious ring. ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Bells are from a gentler time. Bring 'em on! Why on earth people need to shout and rant and pick fights is beyond me.
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mjr wrote:They're probably reluctant to use bells because of all the criticism from CTC types who think bawling at walkers cryptic stuff like "Anya Wright" is more polite than a melodious ring. ;)

You make some extreme assumptions in pursuit of your hobby horse.
"Bawling" at people is not the only alternative to the tuneless jingle jangle of a bell.
Myself I prefer "excuse me" to "on your right" or even to the preremptory demand of a bell.
I feel that approach is how one should interact with another human being.
I am always prepared to trickle along at walking speed until the path is clear.
I find this sort of consideration nearly always gets a civilised response, and if it doesn't, then so much the worse for the oaf.

I do not like the way motorists behave towards cyclists on the road, and I don't want to behave in a similar way towards pedestrians on a shared path.
No "poop poop", no "ding dong, ding dong".

If one has time and spare digits enough to ring, then one has time enough to brake.

It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
sjs

Post by sjs »

Mike Sales wrote:
mjr wrote:They're probably reluctant to use bells because of all the criticism from CTC types who think bawling at walkers cryptic stuff like "Anya Wright" is more polite than a melodious ring. ;)

"Bawling" at people is not the only alternative to the tuneless jingle jangle of a bell.
Myself I prefer "excuse me" to "on your right" or even the preremptory demand of a bell.
I feel that approach is how one should interact with another human being.
I find this sort of consideration nearly always gets a civilised response, and if it doesn't, then so much the worse for the oaf.

I do not like the way motorists behave towards cyclists on the road, and I don't want to behave in a similar way towards pedestrians on a shared path.
No "poop poop", no "ding dong, ding dong".

If one has time and spare digits enough to ring, then one has time enough to brake.

Could not agree more.
Walkers wearing earphones can be more or less impervious to any kind of warning though. They can only be overtaken at a speed marginally greater than they're walking, and always being prepared for a slight jump in a random direction when they notice you.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I have a pinger bell on my hybrid and it's surprising how many pedestrians react to it by patting down their pockets to find their mobile phone.

On my road bike I find that shouting something like, "I'm chasing a KOM" works best.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mike Sales wrote:

Myself I prefer "excuse me" to "on your right" or even to the preremptory demand of a bell.

Preremptory isn't a word, is it? Anyway, a bell is neither preemptory nor peremptory, unlike an "excuse me".

No assumptions. Just experience. I would much prefer a bell from a suitable distance than someone sneaking up to within speaking distance or shouting from further away.

As am I. Path or road. Bells are a warning of passing, not a get-out-of-my-way.

Well, if you sneak up on me walking, my stick will bar your way. I guess that makes me an oaf in your eyes. Never mind - I'll live.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Riding along a quiet lane. Not flying along, just riding nicely.
Two walkers in front going the same way as me.
I dinged my bell.
I dinged my bell.
I dinged my bell.
I dinged my bell.
I came up behind them and said, "Excuse me please".

They jumped out of their skin!
.......... and one of them said, "I wondered what that ringing noise was!"
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Did you have one that just goes 'ping'?
A proper bell goes dringgaling
Maybe one should practice ringing it properly :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

RIng bell

Ring bell again

"Excuse me"

"EXCUSE ME"

EXCUSE ME!

Nothing funny about that, could cause an innocent PoF to have a heart attack
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

RIng bell

Ring bell again

"Excuse me"

"EXCUSE ME"

EXCUSE ME!

Nothing funny about that, could cause an innocent PoF to have a heart attack

We find common cause. Statistically, it had to happen sometime :D