Why don't road cyclists say hello anymore?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PH

Re: Why don't road cyclists say hello anymore?

Post by PH »

Mike Sales wrote:Perhaps we should include in these posts reporting cyclists acknowledging each other, or not, an indication of whereabouts the poster is reporting from.

Everyone waves
Reporting from the 1950s
This story is as old as me, there’s always been reports on how a bygone age was friendlier, I’ve never known it. People acknowledge those they consider themselves to have something in common with, which will vary between individuals. It’s mostly on a subconscious level, so nothing to get upset about.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

PH wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:Perhaps we should include in these posts reporting cyclists acknowledging each other, or not, an indication of whereabouts the poster is reporting from.

Everyone waves
Reporting from the 1950s
This story is as old as me, there’s always been reports on how a bygone age was friendlier, I’ve never known it. People acknowledge those they consider themselves to have something in common with, which will vary between individuals. It’s mostly on a subconscious level, so nothing to get upset about.

I was not expressing any views, still less upset.
I think it might be interesting to try to gather data on regional differences, and perhaps, whilst we are at it, on the sort of road where riders wave, and the sort of rider who waves. It might move the discussion on a bit.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Oldjohnw wrote:What part of the world are you in? In the Borders where there is a confluence of six or seven national cycle routes we see hundreds of bike tourists from all over the UK and indeed the world. They are most friendly. They tend to share the pain, the thrill of the ride and a love of coffee. But lycra is pretty well absent.

27 miles south of Berwick and again there's next to none who don't nod/wave et al.

Even though there's a been a huge increase in lycra clad road cyclists in the space of ten years (NB. Though only within a 10-15 mile radius of town, further out they're rarely seen)
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Mike Sales wrote:and the sort of rider who waves.
How would you define the sort of rider? by his clothing at that time? By the superficial appearance of the machine?

There seems to me that there is a disproportionate opprobrium against so called "roadies". How does one define a "roadie"? Perhaps that rider in full team kit is riding a £200 "road bike" from a mail order company. Does that qualify? Or maybe the rider in baggy shorts is riding a £3k Colnago. This whole "roadie" thing is new and partly created by marketeers who sell any bike with drops and without mudguards as a "road bike". In my youth a road bike was what you used for riding road races or time trials, nothing else - certainly not as a commuter. Is that abhorred "roadie" also a track rider, a cycle tourist, a commuter i.e an all round cyclist? Does MickF become a "roadie" in the summer when he takes his mudguards off his Mercian?

As for this being a characteristic of new generation riders - in all aspects of cycling we have a couple of generations of people who have only got their information from the internet instead of riding with real people. We had the same to a lesser extent in the 70s/80s when people read books instead of riding with clubs.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Never understood this

Why should I demand the attention of every person I come across?

I know that you are tired, halfway up Portsdown Hill, and another mile to go before you reach the top, but I DEMAND that you take the time and energy to wave cheerfully to me?

Really?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

tatanab wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:and the sort of rider who waves.
How would you define the sort of rider? by his clothing at that time? By the superficial appearance of the machine?

There seems to me that there is a disproportionate opprobrium against so called "roadies". How does one define a "roadie"? Perhaps that rider in full team kit is riding a £200 "road bike" from a mail order company. Does that qualify? Or maybe the rider in baggy shorts is riding a £3k Colnago. This whole "roadie" thing is new and partly created by marketeers who sell any bike with drops and without mudguards as a "road bike". In my youth a road bike was what you used for riding road races or time trials, nothing else - certainly not as a commuter. Is that abhorred "roadie" also a track rider, a cycle tourist, a commuter i.e an all round cyclist? Does MickF become a "roadie" in the summer when he takes his mudguards off his Mercian?

As for this being a characteristic of new generation riders - in all aspects of cycling we have a couple of generations of people who have only got their information from the internet instead of riding with real people. We had the same to a lesser extent in the 70s/80s when people read books instead of riding with clubs.

There may be much in what you say.
Some observations would help in drawing accurate inferences.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cunobelin wrote:Never understood this

I know that you are tired, halfway up Portsdown Hill, and another mile to go before you reach the top, but I DEMAND that you take the time and energy to wave cheerfully to me?

Really?

I see wavers as being friendly, not demanding anything.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I tend to find that the greater the monetary value of the bike and clothing the less waving I get ... :)
The plastic frame and Rapha brigade do not seem to wave at us ordinary Cyclists with our t-shirts and helmet-less heads.
I suppose they are trying so hard to pretend to be pro's they haven't time for the rest of us .....
Maybe their £200 sunglasses edit us out of their vision ... :lol:
I passed 2 guys today in their "King of the Mountains" shirts on their super bikes, both on hills ... which made me laugh ... :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

Out today in almost too sunny S Oxfordshire, 1968 Holdsworth Sturmey 4 speed wearing polo shirt and slightly baggy shorts and waves or words from the vast majority of rides, no more or less than when I'm on the Bianchi and wearing lycra
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

landsurfer wrote:I passed 2 guys today in their "King of the Mountains" shirts on their super bikes, both on hills ... which made me laugh ... :D

Wearing the polka dots is asking for ridicule if you can't ride accordingly.
I don't suppose they will leave their jerseys in the wardrobe in future, though.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

gbnz wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:What part of the world are you in? In the Borders where there is a confluence of six or seven national cycle routes we see hundreds of bike tourists from all over the UK and indeed the world. They are most friendly. They tend to share the pain, the thrill of the ride and a love of coffee. But lycra is pretty well absent.

27 miles south of Berwick and again there's next to none who don't nod/wave et al.

Even though there's a been a huge increase in lycra clad road cyclists in the space of ten years (NB. Though only within a 10-15 mile radius of town, further out they're rarely seen)

You must see the same people as me. I am 5 miles west of Berwick.
John
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I find the quantity of complaints about others waving is in direct proportion to the degree of curmudgeoness* of the complainant, and entirely unrelated to either the clothing or steed of the potential waver.

* to use the technical term

IME countryside cyclists are invariably cheery; in towns more concerned with self preservation. This applies regardless of what either I or they are wearing or riding and even to larger groups at speed.

Shorter version: enough whinging already!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Really?
Yes.
I've ridden up and down Portsdown Hill in all directions many times. Excellent rides, and I've waved and spoken to the (admittedly very few) cyclists that I met.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Mike Sales wrote:

Really?

I see wavers as being friendly, not demanding anything.

The title and gist of the thread is a complaint about not being waved at, that implies a need for recognition and demand that is fulfilled.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cunobelin wrote:The title and gist of the thread is a complaint about not being waved at, that implies a need for recognition and demand that is fulfilled.

The title is asking a question, not making a demand. What you see as the implication may not be what was meant.
Where I live people greet each other in the street. I see this as normal human sociability, not anything demanding.