67% of equestrian helmet wearers (returning helmets post incident) suffering concussions

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
The utility cyclist

67% of equestrian helmet wearers (returning helmets post incident) suffering concussions

Post by The utility cyclist »

A study of equestrian helmets that were returned as part of an exchange system showed that 73.5% wearing helmets sustained a head injury (of those that noted injury or not). And of that %, 91% of those were concussions, meaning a 67% concussion rate from the sample study post accident (sic), the rest were (4%) skull fractures, (0.7%) subdural hematoma, (0.7%) cerebral edema and 5 (3.6%) diffuse axonal injury (DAI), there was one death from head injury.

One of the interesting points made was that the SNELL standard could be inducing more TBI due to the stiffness of the helmet and it having less give in it than other standards and be less beneficial in lower threshold impacts particularly onto softer surfaces such as soil, grass etc which is common with equestrians - but also applicable to cycling
The study also discusses rotational injuries caused by the helmet itself.

It looks to me that in the world of equestrian, if you have an incident, that despite wearing a helmet you're massively at risk of having a TBI or worse, nearly 3/4 of all returned helmets post incident still meant the wearer sustained injury to the head with a massive 91% being concussions. Also the fact that some helmets didn't show signs of damage are hiding other problems that are likely to crop up in cycling and other sports/activities too.

https://sportsmedicine-open.springerope ... 019-0193-0
landsurfer

Re: 67% of equestrian helmet wearers (returning helmets post incident) suffering concussions

Post by landsurfer »

The Landsurfer patent "Horse Ownership Simulator" ..;
Stand naked on a high hill,
In winter,
In the rain and snow,
Dropping house bricks on your feet,
Setting fire to £20 notes ....

I had 2 Fell ponies .......
We rode them, showed them "in hand" ..
Travelled from Hastings to Cumbria every year for "The Show" ...
With the horses of course ..... :roll: :roll:

Helmet injuries ... long way to fall off horses .... :evil:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Mike Sales

Re: 67% of equestrian helmet wearers (returning helmets post incident) suffering concussions

Post by Mike Sales »

landsurfer wrote:The Landsurfer patent "Horse Ownership Simulator" ..;
Stand naked on a high hill,
In winter,
In the rain and snow,
Dropping house bricks on your feet,
Setting fire to £20 notes ....

There is a similar joke about yacht ownership.
I had not heard this about horses.
Our cleaner owned a horse.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

'A camel is a horse designed by a committee'
' Plus One! A camel is even better than a horse, more versatile, can stand heat'
'Yes, but the task was to design a horse!' :?
Maybe the committee could have come up with a bicycle :wink:

Hope you don't mind my thread drift utility, I just like this little story, like horses too
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
IIRC the design of horse helmets about 20 - 30 years ago were very flawed, in particular rivets in the hard shell?
Fashion over function was the conclusion.
Anyroadup rather fall off my motor bike than a horse, like said its a long way to fall.
The helicopter ambulance is well used for horse injuries, especially in the southwest.
Motor cycle accidents were well publicised but horse riding acidents do not appear to be, that might just be silly old fart me :P
Probably now overtaken by off road cycling downhill racing whatever.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

A recent report from Sweden suggested that even with the newer design equestrian helmets with SIPS/MIPS there was still no real term improvement in head injuries, I'll see if I can relocate the article. The thing is that these standards are still employed within cycling circles and clearly it's not improving matters at all. Even iif you discount any/all other safety benefits elsewhere, helmets still show zero increase in safety for wearers, that currently the ratio of significant concussion is very high with helmet wearers goes to show how rubbish these things are.
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

This is arguably a bit more broad than just helmets, but highly relevant to risk assessment and well worth a read.

Equasy

Say no to drugs kids :?
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Wanlock Dod wrote: well worth a read.
Equasy

+1
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"